We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » New Gilbreath Effect? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Silva
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of John Silva
I have been researching the gilbreath principle and found a few interesting effects such as the Mockingbird and the Hawk. The question I would like to ask you is if there is any Gilbreath Principle effect that works exactly the following way:

A deck of cards is riffle shuffled twice by the spectator and at any moment during the effect can be cut. The cards are spread on the table. The spectator is asked to remove a card, take a look at it, put it back into the deck and square the deck (please note that the card is taken from anywhere in the deck and returned to anywhere in the deck). Now the spectator cuts and riffle shuffles again. The magician takes the deck, looks for the card and presents it in any way he sees fit. This effect can be performed without the magician touching the deck except for when he looks for the card obviously.
This is an effect I came up with. I would like to know if any of you already know something similar.
John Silva
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of John Silva
Here's a video of me performing the effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUPCWX7weF0
The effect became boring because it took so long but this is because I tried to show it in a raw state. I believe it can become a good effect with the right presentation. Please tell me if any of you recognise this effect.

John Silva
John Silva
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of John Silva
I found out that this effect already exists.
Thanks James Alan for pointing me in the right direction.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
John Silva-san PMed me about this trick, but I did not answer for it as I don't use PM.

Watching the demo, I understood the trick has no relation with Gilbreath Principle. I am no sure the exact name of the principle, but 'Chain Principle' or such principle is used. The principle can be found in tricks by Charles Jordan.

Hideo Kato

P.S.

Sorry John Silva-san for not PMing you. I will not hesitate to answer for questions posted in threads of Magic Café. (I once had a trouble to receive so many questions by PM so I decided not to answer privately).
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1590 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
John, Peter Duffie http://www.peterduffie.com has some routines with the Gilbreth principle and in one of his ebooks (Card Conspiracy 1 Duffie/Robertson) he has one chapter on the Gilbreth effect.
You can contact Duffie or Robertson, both are members here, if you are interested in more in-deep use of the principle.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
As I mentioned, Gilbreath Principle is not being used in this trick.

Hideo Kato
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
In the demo by Silva-san, I found 3 points I wanted to change.

1. He let spectator Rifffle Shuffle the deck twice before the selection is taken and returned in the deck, then he let spectator Riffle Shuffle the deck once again after the selection was returned. By this proceedure, it is possible you can't detect the selection when the selection was returned to the position near it was taken.

2. Looking over the spread four times (in worst case) is a week point in this trick. (He looked over the spread 8 or 9 times to detect two selections).

3. He could not show the face of the deck in the beginning.

Inspired by Silva-san's trick, I created a variation. Its effect as below.

I Dribble Spread the face up deck to show the cards are well mixed. then I spread the deck face down. While I turn my back, spectator take a card, remember it and return in the spread. He square the spread and I turn to face him.

Now spectator Riffle Shuffle the deck twice in a row. I Ribbon Spread the deck face up.

I look over the spread slowly. (It would take 1 second per 1 card, so it is possible it takes 52 seconds in worst case). But I can detect the selection by looking over once).

Of course I will credit Silva-san, when I write this variation in my future book. Thank you very much for the inspiration.

Hideo Kato
John Silva
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of John Silva
Usually I perform this effect with only two shuffles. One before the selection and one after the selection. This effect works with any stacked deck order, in the beginning I used si stebbins order. Good luck with your book Hideo that looks like a good aplication of the effect.

John Silva
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
I thought you were using New Deck Order. If you use Si Stebbins Stack, you can Dribble Spread to show the cards are well mixed.

I think this can be one of solutions for 'Moe's Move a Card' problem as below.

You Ribbon Spread to show the cards are well mixed. Spectator Riffle Shuffles the deck twice. You act to remember the order of the whole deck. Spectator move a card in either half of the spread and move it to opposite half of the spread. Then you guess the moved card.

This solution seems to be far better solution than using Clocking method possibly used by Moe himself.

Hideo Kato
John Silva
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of John Silva
In this case I was actually using new deck order.
For those interested in knowing how this effect works here's the link to the explanation:
http://rapidshare.com/files/216604482/Video_17.wmv.html
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Kato-sensai,

Your last post seems as though you do not care for clocking. Is it that you don't care for it in this pareticular effect, or that you don't like it as a method at all?

Just curious.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Hello Scott F. Guinn-san,

I use Clocking for several effects. I just thought the mentioned method was suitable for 'Move a Card' effect.

However, the mentioned method can't be used when I am not prepared stacked deck.

Hideo Kato
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
I checked my notes and found the trick was same as Charles Jordan's 'Premo', in which Jordan let spectator Riffle Shuffle & Cut two times before selecting a card and once after selecting the card.

Hideo Kato
MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2577 Posts

Profile of MueCard
Quote:
On 2009-04-02 11:53, John Silva wrote:
Here's a video of me performing the effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUPCWX7weF0
The effect became boring because it took so long but this is because I tried to show it in a raw state. I believe it can become a good effect with the right presentation. Please tell me if any of you recognise this effect.

John Silva

The video vanished?
MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2577 Posts

Profile of MueCard
Quote:
On 2009-04-03 11:33, John Silva wrote:
In this case I was actually using new deck order.
For those interested in knowing how this effect works here's the link to the explanation:
http://rapidshare.com/files/216604482/Video_17.wmv.html

This is also defect?
pixsmith
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of pixsmith
Is this similar to the effect published in the Jinx? I think it was based on the endless chain idea of Jordan's but had a slightly more efficient way of finding the card. It does work well, but it also makes my brain hurt. The method from the Jinx actually could be used with any stack, as long as you are really familiar with it.

Just another .02 piled on.

Pix
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2009-04-03 19:19, Hideo Kato wrote:
I checked my notes and found the trick was same as Charles Jordan's 'Premo', in which Jordan let spectator Riffle Shuffle & Cut two times before selecting a card and once after selecting the card.

Hideo Kato

Congratulations Kato-San,
John Silva did submit his effect to me as well and I didn't think of linking it to the Charles Jordan's effect.

Thank you to both
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2009-04-12 22:34, pixsmith wrote:
Is this similar to the effect published in the Jinx? I think it was based on the endless chain idea of Jordan's but had a slightly more efficient way of finding the card. It does work well, but it also makes my brain hurt. The method from the Jinx actually could be used with any stack, as long as you are really familiar with it.

Just another .02 piled on.

Pix

Hi, Pix.

Would you please be so kind as to provide the name of the effect that you are referring to in the Jinx? Either here publicly or via PM. That would cetainly be appreciated by me.

Thank you so much.

Best,

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
hcs
View Profile
Elite user
Germany, Magdeburg
417 Posts

Profile of hcs
Please provide the name of the cited effect or issue/page in the Jinx.
Thank you very much.
Melencolia I - Magic Squares for the Mental Entertainer * Smart Methods for 4x4, 5x5 and 6x6 Magic Squares * 172 A4-pages * version 3.40
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » New Gilbreath Effect? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL