The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » TT & S P (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
I am working through an effect, although not original by any means. I wish I knew of the originator. Anyway, I need some help.

I have six empty styrofoam cups and ask a volunteer to choose one. The basis is making good choices in life.

They will have an absolutely free choice— no force. After a bit of byplay I give them an umbrella and then take the cup after filling it with water and poke a knitting needle through the cup while holding it over their head. They are expecting to get wet, but will not because of the SP, although the umbrella serves as a back-up. Smile

Is there a clean method to dumping the SP into the cup using a TT? I can't seem to come up with a smooth way.

Thanks for all the help.

peace,
phill
Scripture, Sculptures & Surprises!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Phill,
Rather than introduce the SP, why not have a cup with the SP already in it and switch the chosen cup for it? You could use a chair-back servante or something "innocent-looking" like that.
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
If they can not see into the cups, can you just have SP in the bottom of each one?
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Dragona
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of Dragona
Ok, what exactly do you mean by SP?
I have the breath of dragons and the soul of a human.
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
What do you do with the discarded cups?
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
I make a little "tea" bag using Kleenex Tissue and a glue stick. This can be finger or thumb palmed and dropped in at any time as well as solving other kinds of problems.
billswondershow.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
I was thinking that the non-chosen cups could be turned over to further emphasize the 'fairness' of the choice.

The Learned Pig Project has a great book of forcing methods, but was looking for a non-force type of effect. I do like Bill's 'tea bag' idea and maybe that has possibilities.

Keep us 'posted' if any other thoughts come to mind.
Thanks for all the help.
phill

BTW Dragona I sent you a quick PM to explain SP.
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
You could roll a piece of paper (or lucky dollar) around the TT and use it as a stirring stick or draw a face on it (upside-down so that you have a reason to turn him right side up) and call it the water inpsector.

You could be less covert about it and reach into the air to grab the magic "woofle blob." You might have to grab it with both hands in a big ball so that you have room to turn the TT and sprinkle it into the cup. (Spectators think that you are pantomiming pushing a blob into the cup when in fact, you are pouring the SP.)

You could show both hands empty, place them palms together (palming the loaded TT) and make a hand-warming motion over the cup to warm it to the correct temperature.

The tea-bag idea sounds very practical. You could even have it loaded in the TT if you wanted to show both hands empty.

Good Luck

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I hope you told Dragona SP is something he has to keep secret from his audience.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
It seems to me that 6 cups may be distracting, unless you did something with each. Maybe had some funny choice they represent written on the back or bottom.

Or perhaps play it like a gameshow...(using a force) all the unchosen cups contain fabulous prizes...the one they chose could be the "joke" (something like "Niagra falls in a cup..") or it could be the cup they left you with...

Poking a pencil into the cup made me think of Martian Gardner when he speaks of drawing a face on a cup and saying, "this is Wyatt". He then pokes a pencil in the cup making a "mouth" (it's full of liquid), and as the liquid spews out he says, "And that's Wyatt Erp!" It's a bit sick, but unforgettable. Could open the routine with this bit to let them know what to expect...

Senetor Crandell's cup routine used the umbrella idea, but only one cup. Might get some ideas from his routine on presentation.

Just tinkering...
A memorable routine takes a lot of heat off the "trickery", making whatever "moves" you do much easier.
billswondershow.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
Thank you all for your input. I do appreciate the references and the "have you thought about".

Keep them coming.

phill
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I've never used SP with a TT or even SP at all for that matter.

What is the SP to H2O ratio that will work?

In other words I'd like to have a significant amount of H2O so...

HM SP DO I need TO DO the SP N TT MT?

TY,

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
Sorry for all the "cloak and dagger" abbreviations, didn't want to come close to the ethical/revelation boundary line.

To address the amount question, I have found that a heavy teaspoon of SP can deal with about 8 oz.+/- of water.

peace,
phill
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Wow. That's impressive.

Then I'm off to the MS to buy some SP to put in my TT.

I wonder HM $ is some SP for your TT?

CU,

FS
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
FS -
I buy my SP through the USPS from DHGM, about 800 pennies for a bottle that lasts for many performances breaking it down into the SP/TT ratio.

The closest MS to me is about 2400 seconds away. It's a pretty good MS but I don't get the privilege of getting there enough.

peace,
PB
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Too funny!
No wait... TF!
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
henri loik
View Profile
Regular user
Near Chicago, Illinois
136 Posts

Profile of henri loik
Quote:
On 2003-05-20 09:26, phill wrote:
Sorry for all the "cloak and dagger" abbreviations, didn't want to come close to the ethical/revelation boundary line.

To address the amount question, I have found that a heavy teaspoon of SP can deal with about 8 oz.+/- of water.

peace,
phill

Do you mean Slush powder? Only magicians read this forum, you don't need to abbreviate everything. When you reveal a classic gimmick, it isn't really harming anybody, since most of us already know what it is, plus we have to pay for it anyways. Unlike revealing a method, revealing a gimmick to magicians is not harmful in any way since they have to pay for it.
Trekdad
View Profile
Elite user
Telford, PA
445 Posts

Profile of Trekdad
Quote:
On 2011-11-22 17:39, henri loik wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-05-20 09:26, phill wrote:

peace,
phill

Do you mean Slush powder? Only magicians read this forum, you don't need to abbreviate everything. When you reveal a classic gimmick, it isn't really harming anybody, since most of us already know what it is, plus we have to pay for it anyways. Unlike revealing a method, revealing a gimmick to magicians is not harmful in any way since they have to pay for it.

Other than "Secret Sessions" and a couple of other topics here, most of these posts, including from "Little Darlings" are indexed by Google and the posts appear and are openly accessible to anyone searching the internet.
Barnhardt: You have tested this theory?
Klaatu: I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to the next.
The Day the Earth Stood Still
themagicguy
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
280 Posts

Profile of themagicguy
So.... The point of bumping up this old post was?
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Quote:
On 2011-11-22 19:36, themagicguy wrote:
So.... The point of bumping up this old post was?

apparently, to mention how the effect works?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » TT & S P (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL