We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Teenage Magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Benjamin Dove
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, California
56 Posts

Profile of Benjamin Dove
So I am still in High school, and I am wondering what is the best way to dress as a teen, even if I am going to school and planning to do some magic there. I feel that as a younger person, I don't want to go into certain aspects of costumes that adult magicians would wear. Because kids tend to be skeptical, I think something casual is best, but can someone who has been successful as a teen magician give me some input? Thanks!

Benjamin D
Matt Watts
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Matt Watts
I wear a black button up short sleeved dress shirt w/ a magic shirt under it,faded blue jeans,black shoes,and a leopard print speedo (just kidding on the last one).

I would be comfortable considering you are at school.I think of myself as a magician 24/7. The people at your school don't expect you to dress up like Lance Burton everyday. Your Idea's,outgoing personality,and an odd streak(all magicians have one) set you apart.

You may not get anything out of what I am saying but at least this works for me.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Ben, avoid anything that can be purchased at the mall. You want to stand out, not blend in.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Wear what you normally wear. If you have a performing personae, then dress for that. Maybe you can add a vest to what you normally wear to gain a few more pockets for small props.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
Wear whatever reflects your character...doesn't matter whether you are a kid, teen, or adult...your performance persona should be represented...

what style of magic do you do?

btw...I saw Matt perform....and he was actually telling the truth about the leopard speedo...he does wear one...
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
J.Crew exists for people like you.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
Matt Watts
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Matt Watts
Yup;)
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2312 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I'm not sure I buy into the thought you should dress differently because of your age. There is a saying that goes something like this, "Dress for you the job you want, not for the job you have."

Of course, I've always thought, "When in doubt, wear a tux."
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Benjamin: If you do not want to have your nose bloodied against a locker repeatedly, do not dress like nearly any magician you have ever met.

Wear what your friends wear, and maybe throw on a blazer (and get it from J.Crew for god's sake) when you want to do some magic.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
Benjamin Dove
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, California
56 Posts

Profile of Benjamin Dove
Haha good one Natanel
Yeah my thought is just to dress to look good and that probably works best
Nothing fancy needed, I don't think
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Hey Nate, do you get a commision from J. Crew for all the promotion?

;)
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Quote:
On 2009-04-21 10:11, thegreatnippulini wrote:
Hey Nate, do you get a commision from J. Crew for all the promotion?

;)

Hah I should.

To be completely honest, I don't own a single piece of J.Crew clothing any more (my own tastes are a little more out there) but I see it as well-made and affordable simple clothing, available in most shopping malls.

For someone who seems to share my penchant for more unusual dress I'd highly recommend the brand Cloak to you. It is a sadly defunct New York brand that specialized in reproductions of Soviet military garments. Things like leather trench coats and fur trimmed vests or boots. The items pop up on ebay for fairly reasonable prices and are a lot of fun.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Ooo! Sounds neat! My stagewear is Shrine, another one of those underground type designers, usually aimed towrds the "Goth" kids. I like where your head goes.... nice style!
ferrari
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of ferrari
I just wear a zip up hoody
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Quote:
On 2009-04-22 17:10, ferrari wrote:
I just wear a zip up hoody

Thank you for this remarkably illuminating post.

(However I am interested in a venue that lets you perform regularly without any pants or undergarment)
JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
Being a teen myself, I know how you feel, Benjamin. The first (and, as of now, the only) time I went to the streets to do some close up, I wore what I would probably be found in normally (jeans, black sneakers, short sleave t-shirt [navy blue, in this case]) with the exception that I threw on a just-above navy blue sports coat. Of course, this was also on halloween, and I was presenting myself as a magician, but it seemed to work pretty well for me. And I even found it strange that nobody commented on my sleeves, which they usually do. Anyway, that's just what worked for me, so just find something that suits you.
"Magic should always have a purpose. [...] Find your purpose for performing. Only then will you be able to find the right trick!" -- Jay Noblezada
electric.ceu
View Profile
Regular user
I can't believe I have
130 Posts

Profile of electric.ceu
Please don't wear a Tux.
Timothy James
SolitarySoul
View Profile
New user
Doylestown, PA
60 Posts

Profile of SolitarySoul
Look sharp, but be YOU
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
The story goes that his agent told the magician to cut his hair and buy a tux so he would be more presentable. The magician, at first, complied. After a time though, the magician thought the clean cut tux look just wasn't him. His university roommate said, "Why don't you just be yourself?" So the magician grew his hair and a moustache and started to wear jeans and long sleeved t-shirts. He then went on to become one of the most famous magicians in the 20th century, perhaps of all time, starring on Broadway, film and television. That's the story. (Bonus points if you can name the magician)

Benjamin, nobody here can answer the question, "What should you wear?" Only you can answer that.

Figure out how you want to present yourself and dress the part. Jeans, suit, tux, sequins, t-shirt, sneakers, J Crew (whatever that is?) K Mart, dress up, dress down, whatever...?

You can dress the same for all your shows or, have different outfits and costumes for different shows, audiences and venues.

It's all good.

Best of luck in your magic career.
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Quote:

It's all good.

No it's not.

Dressing well is sadly an unattainable standard for most magicians, let alone dressing well and congruently with one's character.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Teenage Magicians (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL