The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Best opener. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
here2009
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of here2009
What is in your opinion the funniest opener for a magician?
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Silk to egg is a funny opener. I use it when I don't use my standard opener.
-Matt
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Go see Paul Kozak or Amazing Jonathan and see the best for belly laughs and Walter Blaney for a G rated crowd. I know there must be others out there too. I'd love to hear about them.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
728 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
I start some of my shows by coming out on stage with a large canvas bag. I tell everyone that I just finished reading a book on the best way to perform a magic show. The book said you need to grab the audiences attention right away by starting your show with a really big opener. I tell everyone I've got that covered. I then reach into the bag a pull out a giant bottle opener that's about 3 feet long. It gets a lot of groans as well as laughs.
Bob.
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
Watch the Ten Years of Steve Spill DVD.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24111 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I costume change will be good.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17161 Posts

Profile of joseph
I like the celebrity baby gag...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Floating across the stage, is a good start.
Jonathan Smith
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Smith
A wealth of material awaits, take markmiller advice.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I go out with a jar of jam(jelly) and a pot of mustard and ask them which is the best.
I'm not sure why, that's just what I do...
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2009-04-02 12:43, magicgeorge wrote:
I go out with a jar of jam(jelly) and a pot of mustard and ask them which is the best.

That's funny. Do you do any kind of follow up or just leave it??? Can I use it??

I'm booked to do a program for a civic club in a few weeks. I was thinking about wearing a feather head dress and carrying a bow and a quiver of arrows and shooting a couple of the people on the front row and maybe somebody close to the back. I probably ought to get paid first though. What do you think??

Just joking of course. I don't see well enough to hit anybody in the back row.

The first time I saw Zaney Blaney come out twirling his cowboy rope I almost died laughing on the finish. It's his personality and sense of timing. I'd love to do it sometime but I just couldn't take it. I wonder if his daughter Becky uses it now that her dad has slowed down?

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1636 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Personality.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
What trick is best for giving you a personality?
Can I get a personality on dvd or does it have to be from a book?

Tabster, I just go out ask them which is the best and get everyone either cheering for the jam or the mustard. It's very silly so suits me fine. I don't go into an effect (although I suppose I could do the pb and jelly trick). it's a nice callback when a line fails too. I just pick them up and people start cheering again.
You can do it with your own inanimate objects. Which is the best:
The bicycle pump or the shoe?
The coat hanger or the stuffed hamster?
Cake or death?

the last one might've been done before.

I like the big chief idea. nerf 'em!!

g
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Quote:
On 2009-04-04 10:41, magicgeorge wrote:
What trick is best for giving you a personality?
Can I get a personality on dvd or does it have to be from a book?

Tabster, I just go out ask them which is the best and get everyone either cheering for the jam or the mustard. It's very silly so suits me fine. I don't go into an effect (although I suppose I could do the pb and jelly trick). it's a nice callback when a line fails too. I just pick them up and people start cheering again.
You can do it with your own inanimate objects. Which is the best:
The bicycle pump or the shoe?
The coat hanger or the stuffed hamster?
Cake or death?

the last one might've been done before.

g

Nice warm up but I would not say its an opener. Yet like I say, very nice warm up there is tons of silly things you can do to get the audiance in the mood. Dan Harlan has some very clever ones that I am starting to use in my act.

Thanks for this idea.
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Yeah, probably more of a warm up than an opener. Or opening gag rather than opening effect.

I was more making a point that this topic could just turn into a list of tricks there's no right answer just what works for you and fits in with your personality/comedy stylings.

Heh, I said comedy stylings, how naff.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
It depends on the character you are playing. I've used corney jokes, sight gags, even the Carnac trip. All get laughs. But to do a gag that doesn't fit your character and performance style and the show start will fall flat.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:

If you use Mayonnaise... use the "best" brand... No matter what the answer, point at the label and say 'This is the best". See if Best makes mustard. The worst product should be the "Best"

This is similar to the "Which one is heavier,,,, no,,, that's the lighter - joke. I just put my stamp on it.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2009-04-04 10:41, magicgeorge wrote:

g

Now that's a good idea. Thanks. What about a nerf ball cannon or maybe like a bazooka and instead of the feathers maybe a ww2 helmet liner??? Is there such a thing or do I have to build one??

-=tabman

magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2009-04-04 13:01, jay leslie wrote:
Quote:

If you use Mayonnaise... use the "best" brand... No matter what the answer, point at the label and say 'This is the best". See if Best makes mustard. The worst product should be the "Best"

This is similar to the "Which one is heavier,,,, no,,, that's the lighter - joke. I just put my stamp on it.

and thus reduce it from a surreal piece of nonsense to a yawny old pun.

Not for me, cheers, but you stamp away!!
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Quote:
On 2009-03-31 14:33, tabman wrote:
Go see Paul Kozak or Amazing Jonathan and see the best for belly laughs and Walter Blaney for a G rated crowd. I know there must be others out there too. I'd love to hear about them.

-=tabman

I saw Paul in a comedy club about ten years ago and his opening was to come running from the back of the club towards the stage. He was shooting off confetti guns, streamers, and throwing fire balls all the while screaming like a mad man.

Does he still do that? It was quite a site to see Smile
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Best opener. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL