The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Best opener. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
The best & funniest opener is to immediately produce a wad of money. I've seen it work many times.

Why is this funny? I myself laugh, because it works almost every time.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2009-04-04 19:03, Drew Manning wrote:

.... throwing fire balls all the while screaming like a mad man.

Does he still do that? It was quite a site to see Smile

When we did the show at The Funny Bone in Pittsburgh a few years back we came in carrying the skeleton from Barclay Shaw's Cremation Illusion and then the confetti cannons. Whatever Koz does works. He has a knack for it. Amazing Jonathan too.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Sometimes I go back to my mime days(these days I call it silent comedy) and to start bits/things without talking.

1. Use of a feather duster including balancing, object freeze/imitations, and as per instructions...then pause...turn to the audience and quietly say..My wife wants me to more of this at home.
2. Flight of a fly ..followed by a story about a heroic fly or obit to a good Fly.

other times I go straight into talking bits..

3. Memories of Romper room and the Magic Mirror..(she never said Hi Harris) done very seriously with the Circle to square simple magic prop
4. Use of Nigel (vent bit)
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I always like your ideas Nigel... well, "almost" always. lol

For example, I've been using the "Use of Nigel (vent bit)" for many years now, with great response.

Max Smile
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
avimagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood, Florida
233 Posts

Profile of avimagic
I open with the king chair (a la John Ferrentino), the stool that suddenly drops and when you stand up, there is a vertical pole sticking up out of the middle where you were just sitting...

I start off sitting front and center, talking to the audience like I just want to get to know them a bit before I get the show started. After a little back and forth, I say, "Okay, enough of that, let's get into the magic now," at which point I swivel in the chair to grab my first trick. That's when the collapse happens.

Always works!
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
My opening line is: Good evening ladies and gentlemen. My name is Tony, and I am your ventriloquist for the night. I talk a lot through my arse.

There follows a series of gags, before I produce a balloon and do some more gags, leading to eating the balloon, and taking a mouth coil from my mouth (where else?).
Then comes the baby gag. By now the audience know I am not taking things too seriously, so they will go with me on the mentalism or hypnosis.
For kids I open with eating a balloon, or doing a routine with sponge bananas. Heavy emphasis on the gags in both presentations.
Strollingjoe
View Profile
New user
Punxsutawney, PA
5 Posts

Profile of Strollingjoe
Opened last night with introducing myself from backstage (And now, direct from a week in Las Vegas.....), came out lip-singing to Tom Jones "It's Not Unsual". One verse in, my partner comes out yelling, grabs my handheld mike and tells me...."It's a MAGIC show.....NOT a MUSIC show". Did it just for the fun of it......but, it got a great response. Think I'll keep it in.
Strolling Joe
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Magicgeorge...."cake or death" HAHA!! You never fail to make me laugh lol
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
c_guenther
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of c_guenther
While it's not really an opening trick, Tom Mullica's "Opening Trick" is funny as heck. If you're not familiar with it, he performs it AFTER he's done a few card tricks and then blurts out "Hell I forgot to do my opening trick" and he does card to zipper. Gets me every time.
MattMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Erie, CO
190 Posts

Profile of MattMagician
Here's my opener:

Say before you start the show you want to show everyone a picture of you're favorite magician. In fact, this magician is making a guest appearance in the show today. Ladies and gentelmen, boys and girls... ME!!! (pull out a huge autographed picture of yourself) Then, ask someone in the audience if they would be impressed if their name was one the back of the picture. Then, turn it around revealing, "their name" or "your name" on the back of the picture.
Matt Simonsen
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Isn't that "I've been seeing other audiences" Julian Barratt's line?
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
I first saw Spill do that on TV back in the eighties. The video is from a TV show called Comedy on the Road from 1990 and the clip is on the Ten Years of Steve Spill dvd 1980-1990. My guess is the Barratt guy got it from one of the sources. I like the burnt bunny opening.
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
I posted that because the bunny bit is a great opener. Actually everything on the 10 Years DVD is hilarious. I used to have the two VHS tapes that were combined to make the DVD back before DVDs were invented, I wore them out.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Quote:
On 2009-04-02 12:43, magicgeorge wrote:
I go out with a jar of jam(jelly) and a pot of mustard and ask them which is the best.
I'm not sure why, that's just what I do...

I don't know why either, but it strikes me as absurdly funny. That's good, George Smile
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2009-04-02 13:09, tabman wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-04-02 12:43, magicgeorge wrote:
I go out with a jar of jam(jelly) and a pot of mustard and ask them which is the best.
I'm not sure why, that's just what I do...

That's funny. Do you do any kind of follow up or just leave it??? Can I use it??

-=tabman

I've seen this live and it is very, very funny.
MagikDavid
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, OH
298 Posts

Profile of MagikDavid
Not sure if it's the funniest, but... I used to come out and stand next to my prop table and ask the audience, "Does anyone have a $10 bill I could borrow?" I then take the bill and hold it up (eye level) and fold it in half... then in half again... and again, until it's a small square. I then bend down and place it under one of the legs of my table... Then I stand up and with my hand, gently shake it back and fourth and say, "There... that's much better." I then proceed with my show. When I finish the show (almost as an afterthought) I say, "I almost forgot... here's the 5 dollar bill I borrowed at the start of the show." This again gets a laugh, especially if the spectator verbally reminds you that it was a $10 bill. Of course, I return his $10.

Unfortunately, this wasn't an original idea. I had seen it years ago, but can't remember who. Maybe some of the historians here at the Café can shed some light.

Dave
One good thing about being wrong...
Is the pleasure it brings to others.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
One of the funniest, most original openers I've ever seen is by Rafael during his nerd act. I don't even want to ruin it for those who haven't seen it.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2009-05-29 22:34, mumford wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDVlVzA9WiE

8 minutes without a single stock line.

Steve Spill should be the model we all work towards.
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Bill Abbott Five Card Opener is a great little warm up, opener all built in one effect. Plus it has a lot of room for scripting to make it fit your character and add your own lines and bit too it.

http://www.billabbottmagic.com

Fill free to PM me if you have any questions about it.
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Best opener. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL