The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Sponge Balls Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bobrains
View Profile
New user
Lexington, KY
2 Posts

Profile of bobrains
I am in the process of teaching my 10 year old daughter a simple cups and balls routine. She is fairly adept with sponge balls so I thought it might be a good idea for her to use sponge balls in her cups and balls routine instead of the normal crocheted balls.

In my 25 years of doing magic, I'd never tried to do a cup and ball routine with sponge balls and I immediately upon trying it myself found that it was not going to be as simple as I thought.

The problem seems to be that the sponge balls have a tendency to grip both the sides of the cups and the close up mat as the cups are moved. I'm just curious if anyone out there does cups and balls with sponge balls and how you contend with this issue.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I like hard balls for the reason you state, plus it makes it look that much more "impossible" if the balls aren't compressable.

You might want to check out Carl Andrew's "Table Hopping Cups and Balls" DVD as he uses sponge balls in his routine.

In most routines, there's very little need to move the cups around. Are you doing something like a "shell game" move and shuffling the cups around? That can work to your advantage with sponge balls as you probably already learned, the balls tend to "squish" out the back of the cup and if positioned properly, right into your hand. It maybe a bit too tough for a 10 year old so you might just be better off with the standard "one ahead" stuff.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
There are a number of routines using sponge balls. Fred Kaps, Johnny Paul, Laurie Ireland and others. But they are specialized in handling. It would make more sense to learn with the crochet or baseball style balls. This would give here two different routines. One a cup and ball routine, and a different routine with the sponge balls.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
498 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
Have you considered a benson bowl routine instead? It uses many of the same concepts of Cups and Balls, but it's made for sponge balls. Check out Pat Page's sponge ball DVD for the basic routine.

Bill
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
You may enjoy watching Dante work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR3XHPKQ57Y
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Quote:
On 2009-04-01 12:09, bobrains wrote:
The problem seems to be that the sponge balls have a tendency to grip both the sides of the cups and the close up mat as the cups are moved. I'm just curious if anyone out there does cups and balls with sponge balls and how you contend with this issue.

Welcome.
Both of these problems you are having with your sponge balls in a cup routine are considered a wonderful advantage to some workers. Checkout the reading material others have posted.

-todd
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are some DVDs on the cups and balls that are part of the Greater Magic video library. One of these features Johnny Paul, who took advantage of this particular characteristic of the sponge balls. He learned to manage it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
It seems that Joe Berg, according to certain sources, might have been the first one to introduce the sponge balls into the C&Bs. There is however debate over this statement from the book written about Joe Berg. Bill probably knows better.

Dick Biow also has a very solid routine with sponge balls which is aside from all the beaten paths
In fact I think that his routine is the most original starting point to build a personal routine (with or without sponge balls.)

Possibly both Pete and Bill would agree with me that Antonio Romero's routine is one of the most achieved C&Bs routine ever designed with sponge balls.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's really hard to say about Joe Berg's statement. Unfortunately, Joe passed away before I had a chance to discuss this aspect of his book with him. However, he was, at least, an early pioneer of sponge ball work of all types, as was Laurie Ireland.

Laurie Ireland's book on cups and balls, which is still available from Magic, Inc. has a wealth of good material on working with sponge balls and cups. The third routine, which according to the book Ireland's Original Cups and Balls Routines was published in 1937, is one of the earliest published cups and sponge balls routines.

Even at the advanced age of 72, it's a viable routine!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Anatonio Romero's routine is unquestionably way ahead of any others. I have been studying his DVD on the subject and he really has some advanced thinking in his routine.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That is absolutely true.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Is there a video anywhere of Antonio's cups routine? I have yet to see it but keep hearing how wonderful it is.

-Todd
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
There is a DVD. He had them at WMS and I believe he gave some to http://www.stevensmagic.com to sell.

Posted: Apr 2, 2009 3:50pm
Stevens doesn't list it. But email 'em and ask. Otherwise get hold of Rafael Benatar. I tried a google on Romero but there seems to be a musician in Spain with same name.

Believe me... it is a MUST SEE.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1575 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Carl Andrew uses sponge balls with his 2 cups routines and he thinks it has an advantage versus the regular balls.
He has a DVD that is inexpensive and the routine is very nice. At the end he has a sponge ball routine that could also be of interested for your daughter.
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Thanks Pete, is it an instructional DVD or performance only? My understanding is it is a clear cup routine right?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Romero uses a single clear glass with paper cover and one ball. Suddenly there are two balls, and a snap of his fingers and a 2nd cup flies up off the floor and he catches it and now does a 2 cup 2 ball routine. A 3rd ball appears and again another cup flies up off the floor to give him 3 cups. Some nice transpositions color changes of balls etc. and a really off-beat fooler of 3 final loads.

I GOTTA GO IN AND WATCH THIS AGAIN. I GOT MYSELF EXCITED JUST THINKING ABOUT IT.

Yes it shows performance and EXPLANATIONS and even earlier performances to show you how the routine changed over the years.

A MUST FOR ANYONE EVEN MODERATELY INTERESTED IN CUPS AND BALLS.
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Wow.....that sounds astounding.
Rafael Benatar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Spain
158 Posts

Profile of Rafael Benatar
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
There's also a "freebie" here which might giveyou a few pointers bobrains.
http://www.cupsandballsmagic.com/Articles.html

Bri
Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
Quote:
On 2009-04-01 12:09, bobrains wrote:

If, perchance, some soul stumbles across this old thread in search of a response to the original question, the simple answer is...

Do not use a close up mat with sponge balls. Use a smooth hard surface like a wooden table. It works for me. No kidding.

A close up mat helps prevent balls or loads from "talking" beneath "empty" cups.

Sponge balls do not "talk". They don't even whisper. Hence, no need for a close up mat. You can perform almost anywhere without the need of a special mat. Not recommended for outdoor performances though!

Using 1 1/2" or 2" sponge balls lets you transition back and forth from regular sponge ball manipulation, to cups & balls, to multiplying sponge balls.

Quite versatile really.

Plus, sponges in these sizes are quite showy.

True, the compressibility of sponge may seem suspect...but frankly...so what? Everything we do is suspect.

Knock 'em dead with your presentation and final loads and let 'em explain that!
Bapu practices law and conjuring in the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Sponge Balls Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL