The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Traveling with fuel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
Quote:
On 2009-04-06 08:23, thegreatnippulini wrote:
"I still can't (for the life of me) figure out why ANY performer would want to remain anonymous"?

WRONG!!...What about the "Unknown Comic" ... of the "Gong Show"....???
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

You Know...In this business I remember a time I hardly knew anyone's name...Guys like "Biggun, Death Wish, Romeo, Bird Liver, Kongo, Lerch, Hollywood, Hog-Jaw, Smitty" Ect., Ect,....I Guess times have changed...What happened to the Days when Nobody cared what you called yourself...and the ONLY question asked was if you were "Were With It!" ....
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Yes Robbin Williams is funny but what has that got to do with the price of bread??

Not looking for credability only to get into discussion !!! Surely in order to discuss a subject you have to be able to show yourself credible in that subject or be completely ignored.

Your actions are not logical when taken into context with your words. Either that or I am missing something completly. We all have something to offer but would you listen to a plumber giveing advice on bricklayeing ? Remaining unknown in this ilk is like saying I wanna be wealthy without money!!! Not logical.

No sorry I didn't get the joke about me looking out for my back !! Again illogical. Maybe like in the US you don`t get sarcasm as a joke so maybe its a cross divide thing. I will be ringing my brother tonight who is a US citizen and see if he can enlighten me.

Regards Ken.

BTW life is too short to make enemies,, but look at your introductory posts and see how you think you came across.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Odd/Prod...I am with you...I don't care if they know my Name on the Lot...Just as Long as they get it Right at the Office when they make out the Checks...
Evel Knievel

oddityprodigy
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of oddityprodigy
Kondini I just think something gets lost in translation between you and I, that's all. You don't have to like me, I know I came on strong, but know that I have nothing against you.

I get why the other 2 were up in arms. I'm not really concerned about that.

And Curator, I hope the tokens continure to flow in for you!
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
On 2009-04-06 11:46, The Curator of the Unusual wrote:
Quote:
Actually, Jim, Murray Langston revealed himself to be the Unknown Comic on Real People in the early 80s.

He was already a working stand-up when he got the offer to appear on the Gong Show, but he embarrassed to do the show, so he put the bag on his head.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Quote:
On 2009-04-06 14:37, Stephon wrote:
On 2009-04-06 11:46, The Curator of the Unusual wrote:
Quote:
Actually, Jim, Murray Langston revealed himself to be the Unknown Comic on Real People in the early 80s.

He was already a working stand-up when he got the offer to appear on the Gong Show, but he embarrassed to do the show, so he put the bag on his head.

Stephon (if that really is your name), stop muddying things up with facts.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

In "Midway Showman" Don Boles explains in "Getting Along" quote "When you make acquaintance of other Carnies,you must be casual. Nothing strains the average carnie more than formal introductions." unquote...The Fella pictured below, was known as "Hog-Jaw" ...If you were Lucky enough to know his Real name...you never said it....

Click here to view attached image.
Evel Knievel

Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
If you believe that then you could proberly knit fog!!!

The more I read on here the less I seem to know about the business !!! Or do I ?

There again I proberly don`t know my real name cos nobody calls me by it so the whole thing boils down to the fact that I can`t possibly know who I am so even sending letters from me causes a problem cos nobody will know that I wrote them, then picking up the fee in cheque form made payable to Big Willy would not work unless of course I had a bank account in that name !!!

So in order to open a bank account in that name I would have to show ID zzzzzzzzzz phewwww!!

So as we all know BS baffles brains ,,,,, but !

Better look for another line of work I think.

Ken.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

When I was booked on ASA, I was at a Waffle House eating with Smitty...We had just gooten New ID's from the Office (ASA was taken over by N.A.M.E.). I had never known Smitty's real name,cause all his previous ID's said "Smitty"..But the New ID said Larry Smith. So I asked "Larry" to pass the pepper, Smitty imediately stuck his steak Knife near my face and said "Don't EVER call me Larry!, This Name corp. HAS No respect for those of us that paid our Dues!"...3 days later while doing a Bally, I noticed Smitty and Jeff (Owner of ASA) watchin..So I said this.."Folks over there you will see a Sign (banner) that says the "Devil Child"..this would be Little Larry Smith from Valporiaso Indiana, He is inside waiting to meet and greet you"...Later Jeff told me he asked Smitty why he did not get upset When the Curator mentioned his Name on the Bally...Smitty replied "Its a honor to mentioned on that stage!".....True Story
Evel Knievel

View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-04-06 15:26, Kondini wrote:

The more I read on here the less I seem to know about the business !!! Or do I ?

Ken.

Ken if I were to head to the UK to set-up..I would ask you to be my Guide...One reason Show people in the US had "Nicknames" is because a lot of Folks were runnin from something, and in General, the US Circuses and Carnivals really only judged one on his usefullness, not by their names...However in recent years Shows were pressured by Authorities to do Background checks...and although Nicknames still exist, It is mostly Old-timers..mixed in with a few Characters....
Evel Knievel

View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Furthermore, The "Greatest" person I ever Knew to hand out Nicknames...Was Rex Williams (Longtime Elephantboss on Circus Vargas) here are a few of his for example... Biggun (was a huge African American), Goldy-Locks (Cause he had Long curly blond hair), Death-Wish (cause everything he did was a near death expierence), Romeo (Dude was good with the Ladys) Beaner ( was a Mexican), Hollywod (cause he always tried to be Flashy)....Rex never gave me a nickname, and I regret it to this day, as it was a "Honor" to those that recieved one...Although I had met Rex in later years, and really was only around him a short while....
Evel Knievel

Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Nipps, I'm sure this is not Barry. It's Jelly Boy the clown, If I recall correctly I was attending a variety show that Heather Holiday was performing in, and after the show the cast and myself went to a diner for dinner, I made a joke about how "Cucumbers taste better pickled!" Jelly and I laughed about it.

Now that I know who you are (thanks for the tip) I really want to know, Why the jab with the Oddity Prodigy BS? What reason do you have to mess with me?
We've had very nice conversations in the past, I've seen your act and I like what you are doing. You've come up with some great stuff. I don't have any problem with you, I know other people that do, but I like you.

As for the 12 years stuff. I am 20, I learned blockhead when I was 8, that is when I started trying to absorb everything I could about sideshow, no, I have not been performing for 12 years, but I've been immersed in this world since age 8. My first 5 years of life was spent in a tent show for christ sakes, not a sideshow or a circus, but it might as well have been.

I started performing for a paycheck at 14 in the Carolina Renaissance Festival, I was doing sideshow stunts.

This is my life, I've been involved with this world for more than half of it. Now, if you will all excuse me, I've got to go to The Venice Beach Freakshow.

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Everybody when they start out..wants to say they have been in the "Biz" a longtime..(Me included FBC '79)...However, at 47 years old...I can tell you this..QUIT COUNTIN!, by God, they will go by Fast enough....Right Ken?....Best JZ P.S. I never counted my Gradeschool/Highschool "TV Magic Set" act years even tho they were paid Gigs....
Evel Knievel

dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2009-04-06 12:04, Kondini wrote:
We all have something to offer but would you listen to a plumber giveing advice on bricklayeing ?

I Sure as heck wouldn’t - but I ALSO wouldn’t get advice on sideshow skills (like fire breathing and glass walking) from a plumber .......

Oh wait a minute I think I may have done that once or twice? Smile

Although he is now an ex-plumber......

What was his name now..........

Was it Roscoe Arbuckle?

Or something much more dishonest? Something like.... ex-dolo-malo ... certainly something about being conned or fraudulent?
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-04-06 16:24, Freak Prodigy wrote:

This is my life,

Brett.

I remember during my "Mud Show" years, new guys would proclaim thier first Day..."God finally sent me to where I belong..Yep, The Circus is my Life!".."Second day.."Gotta get a act!...Gotta Get a ACT!" they would be seen chasin 3 tennis balls allover the lot)...Third Day..They would have thier stuff set out on the road Hitch-hikin...When asked "Why you leavin" the typical response was "I hope I never see another #%$#**! CIRCUS in my life!!!....
Evel Knievel

Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Quote:
On 2009-04-06 17:34, The Curator of the Unusual wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-04-06 16:24, Freak Prodigy wrote:

This is my life,

Brett.

I remember during my "Mud Show" years, new guys would proclaim thier first Day..."God finally sent me to where I belong..Yep, The Circus is my Life!".."Second day.."Gotta get a act!...Gotta Get a ACT!" they would be seen chasin 3 tennis balls allover the lot)...Third Day..They would have thier stuff set out on the road Hitch-hikin...When asked "Why you leavin" the typical response was "I hope I never see another #%$#**! CIRCUS in my life!!!....

Jim I've gotta say, that this is my life, I eat, sleep and breathe the history of sideshow, the acts and the people. I literally sleep under the original Coney Island sideshow banner (with John Bradshaw's image on it) and a banner of Otis Jordan, next to my bed are Sigler banners and others. There isn't day where I'm doing something related to the business.

Think what you want, but this is me, it's who I am.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Brett WHOA!!, That was not questioning your ambitions...it was merely showing a contrast of what a lot O folks think after they try it!..I am the same way, I Loved the Circus since I was a little Kid...I am sure folks tell your Mom the same thing they told mine.."Don't Worry, He'll grow out of it"...I Never did..you probaly won't either...(There is No known Cure)...By the Way, if you ever want to try a "Tent Show" again..Give me a call...Lots O people want to try, but few have "Heart" ...YOU have Heart!...Don't let one misguided field trial limit you..Flexibility in this Business is a Bonus...So as my Mom told me, "Follow your Dreams, its your Life"...Not everyone is as Lucky as You and and I are ( to Live Our Dreams)...So, I'm Sorry if I told that story, it was in no reference to you or what your Goals are ...Best JZ
Evel Knievel

Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
The roughuns who used to work the gaffs here were the same as yours,,,con men, crims and even murderers (I met up with Sooty Baker on several occassions and it was a few years before I found out that he put his wife in a wheel chair for life and killed her lover with his bare hands !) But that was 15/20 years ago and things have changed completly over here. Not many bads would be able to hide on our lots as they would be ousted by us.

The cleaner we all seem to be the more the public will trust us and spend. Also who wants the old bill tramping through the show every time something gets nicked.

I thought that the US was way ahead of us in most ways so I must admit to being quite shocked that this stigma still hangs over the US shows. Not good at all.

So Mr Curator your 47,,,,,hell your just a kid, still wet behind the ears,,,Ive forgotten more than you know !!!

BTW that was a joke so don`t throw your toys out the pram.... wish I was 47,,,now what and who was I doing then haha.

Ken.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-04-07 04:29, Kondini wrote:

The cleaner we all seem to be the more the public will trust us and spend. Also who wants the old bill tramping through the show every time something gets nicked.

I thought that the US was way ahead of us in most ways so I must admit to being quite shocked that this stigma still hangs over the US shows. Not good at all.

Ken.

Ken, The US has made great strides to "Clean up its image" mainly through the OABA (Outdoor Amusement Business Association") In fact it has a program that sets standards called "Circle of Excellence" to help raise the Bar, The BCS is proud to have been accepted into that program. The Reason I went through their program was to try to open doors for Sideshows to play more Fairs that had Stigmas against Sideshows...So far it has opened some doors, and hopefully more will open also...My new guy was upset when I made him remove his nose jewelery (or whatever you call it) He said he thought the Sideshow was 1 place you could still be yourself!, I replied "Maybe in the Clubs? but out here on the Midway we are Held to a Higher standard (can you Believe that)...in the sense We are held accountable by Fair Boards, In Salt Lake City we had to remove ALL signs that said "Freaks"...Whether one agrees or Not the Fair Boards Rule...IF, you want to play there that is...Best JZ

http://www.sideshowworld.com/UPFM-JZ-Awarded.html
Evel Knievel

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Traveling with fuel (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL