The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Funny business with spring snakes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harry the Clown
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Harry the Clown
I am looking for a very funny and magicial routine with cans and spring snakes.
Can you help?
:clownonball:
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
I remember a routine in Tarbell where a selected card is found on the nose of a spring snake when it jumps out of the can. It's called Snooty Snake, in vol. 4.

-Reg {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
Harry the Clown
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

I did buy a great trick from Abbott called "Bang-up Surprise". There is a lot of good comedy business in this trick!
Has anyone got this trick? Smile
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Harry,

David Ginn is an extraordinary aficionado of spring snakes. As a clown, you should get his Clown Magic book. It has the “My Magic Lunch Box” routine, which can be wonderful. He also has described the “No Snake” box. In his books. His website is here:

http://www.ginnmagic.com/Bindex.htm

0pus
tkuhns
View Profile
Regular user
Kirksville, Missouri
134 Posts

Profile of tkuhns
My buddy loads a can with two snakes. They spring out, then he apologizes. He picks up one of the snakes and puts it back in the can, holding it in with his finger. As he turns around and bends over to pick up the other snake, he raises the can to his shoulder and lets the first snake fly out behind him. Then, after putting the second snake in the can, he pretends everything is okay, until he notices the snake on the ground behind him. Looks confused, bends over, lets the canned snake go, etc., ad nauseum. Kids can never get enough of this stuff.
kasper
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of kasper
You can fill the snake can with real peanuts. Some people know about snake cans and they laugh when you have real peanuts in there.

Kasper Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Snooty Snake is a very powerful routine. ProViper II is a $500.00 electronic verson of the inexpensive Snooty Snake effect. It's worth a look!

For the new person, there is a ton of treasures in the Tarbell series, and this is an example of one. It plays very well for most age groups.

David Ginn is the king when it comes to snake surprises. A lot of his books have snake cans in them. He even wrote a book on it. Check out his web site.
Dennis Michael
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17047 Posts

Profile of joseph
Martin Lewis does the vanishing coke bottle in a paper bag, and it turns into a Pringles can. Everyone thinks the bottle is in the can, and when he pops the top, snakes fly out. It is on his Creating Magic video, and it is really good. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
Try getting a larger diameter PVC pipe (3" or so) with 2 end caps. Paint the tube black. Load in some snakes. Put the white caps on and you have a giant magic wand. When the magic doesn't work put out the giant wand. (This will usually get laughs). When you are still having trouble pull off the cap and out pop the snakes....
MagicGizmo: Magic Articles, Classifieds, Videos, and more
http://magicgizmo.com
Harry the Clown
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

I have just bought Martin Lewis's Video and the vanishing coke bottle is there and it's great!
Good idea on the gaint magic wand too and how you use it when a trick doesn't work.
Thanks heaps!
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
M.Ruetz

I used Black PVC Piping, no painting required but I did have to remove the printing on the pipe. I got 25 spring snakes from David Ginn and I could have gotten more in that Giant Wand. I think all the PVC cost me about $7.50 from Home Depot. Because The Black pipe was long, I made three of them for about $20.00
Dennis Michael
WizzBang
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of WizzBang
Spring Snakes are great! I get a good five minutes from them. With a magnet in the nose of one of them you can pick a card (metal forced card) or just brush past anything metal and the snake sticks. I made my own using springs obtained from the local spring company and green sequin material, googly eyes and red felt mouths, they're easy to make. In fact getting the right screw top tins has been the most difficult task.

I use Pringle (chips) tins to store them. Every child recognises the tin and are all wanting to eat what's inside. I use four in total. The fun is getting them back in the tins.

You need to really act, well... - suprised when they pop out, frustration when putting them back in. One caution - NEVER point one at a child.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Anyone have trouble getting them back?

I use them in my Instant Magician routine.
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
Quote:
On 2003-05-19 02:18, tkuhns wrote:
My buddy loads a can with two snakes. They spring out, then he apologizes. He picks up one of the snakes and puts it back in the can, holding it in with his finger. As he turns around and bends over to pick up the other snake, he raises the can to his shoulder and lets the first snake fly out behind him. Then, after putting the second snake in the can, he pretends everything is okay, until he notices the snake on the ground behind him. Looks confused, bends over, lets the canned snake go, etc., ad nauseum. Kids can never get enough of this stuff.

I saw Kirk Charles use this bit in a children's routine he included in a lecture. It looked like a great bit for a kid's show

Quote:
On 2003-05-19 16:03, kasper wrote:
You can fill the snake can with real peanuts. Some people know about snake cans and they laugh when you have real peanuts in there.

The Amazing Jonathon does this in his Comedy Central special. Very Funny.
I also saw Warren Gibson use this bit in his show at his Maui club, "Warren and Annabelle's".
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
490 Posts

Profile of DougTait
I have pondered the idea of gimmicking a can this way.

1. Make a coloful label "Spring Snakes - Caution - Do Not Open in Church" or something similar and wrap it around the can.

2. Gimmick the can with a load release mechanism so that one or two (depending on "snake tension") snakes can be loaded and locked in the can, leaving an inch or so space at the top.

3. Fill the space with peanuts.

"I have been fooled so many times by fake peanut cans with snakes in them, I put snake labels on all my cans so I won't be surprised any more if there is a snake inside."

Carefully unscrew the lid, holding it away from you, anticipating the snake to spring out. When nothing happens, look inside the can and comment, "Well this one is safe, only peanuts inside." Pour out the peanuts and put the can down, releasing the snakes just as the can hits the table.

The easy part is the concept. The hard part is engineering this thing.

Any comments, suggestions ideas, critiques and contributions will be accepted.

Peace....Doug
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
ludmer
View Profile
New user
Brazil
59 Posts

Profile of ludmer
Read a little joke with a spring snake in a magic book called "Sexy magic", with ideas for adult show mixing hot humour and magic, so I developed my own routine based on that.

When doing a guillotine routine, before putting the carrot in the hole, you ask a lady (preferably a single one) and tell her to hold the carrot strongly. When she does that you say: "Now, think of your boyfriend".

Her face will get red. You then say "Wow, you got read cheeks" [at this moment you wipe her face with a red silk. Secretly load a second silk on her back with velcro.]

Give her a can (THE can) to hold, and say "take care of it". Make the silk vanish by your favorite method, and tell her to open the can. When the snakes pop out she will be scared, so you grab the snake, hold it in front of your... zipper and say moving the snake. "Are you afraid of that??? Oh, don´t worry, just turn your back, and get your applauses!!"

REMEMBER: FOR ADULTS ONLY!!! Smile
I trust jewish magicians and bagels
Harry the Clown
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Thanks for all your feed-back!!!!
Awesome!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Doug Tait writes: "Pour out the peanuts and put the can down, releasing the snakes just as the can hits the table.
"The easy part is the concept. The hard part is engineering this thing."

While I haven't tried this, I have seen an article on it several years ago (Linking Ring, I believe).

Small holes are punched in the side of the can about two inches down from the top, one on each side.

The snake is put in to a point below the holes and then a heavy metal wire is run through the holes; there is an L-shaped bend on one end of the wire, to keep it from sliding all the way through, and to facilitate pulling it out when needed.

Load peanuts or whatever on top.

Open the can and expect the snake; nothing! Dump the peanuts out. Say you expected a snake. As you are saying this, pull the wire out and the snake shoots into the air.

As I said, I have not done this but there's no reason it should not work.

Smile
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
949 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
As Joseph said above Martin Lewis's Comedy Coke Bottle is great for all audiences. I do not do hardly any show without it.

The Springs Snakes are not suspected due to the coke bottle, thus two things are accomplished: 1> Heat off the bag while vanishinhing the bottle and 2> everyone will think the bottle is in the can, so therefore there is not any of the usual reconigtion that springs snakes are going to be involved.

HIGHLY RECCOMMENDED!!!!!
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Funny business with spring snakes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL