The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ever feel like you're going backwards? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bandon
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Bandon
Hey, at the start when I learned the overhand shuffle cards flew everywhere as I was learning, but then it stopped and I never had any cards fly out (except for maybe the rare one every now and again.) But lately whenever I shuffle cards go flying, or turning upside down and it's all a big mess, I've spent a few days (yes, days Smile) troubleshooting and going through the whole thing again and again and it keeps happening, I'm really at a loss, it's particularly frustrating since it's not even a sleight I'm getting wrong, it's just an incredibly basic and easy shuffle. It is helped only slightly by slowing down, as the frequency of the cards flying out does decrease but it still occurs. It mostly occurs when I'm controlling the top and bottom cards as taught in the royal road to card magic, if that helps define the problem. Anyone else had this experience or have any tips?

Thank you
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
I feel the same way. After a couple of years, I am not yet able to overhand shuffle with a completely predictable outcome every time. Ever so often cards turn around or even drop and I certainly cannot run X number of single cards without drawing off more than one now and again.

I prefer to use the shuffle when things are allowed to be and supposed to look a bit sloppy, in combination with other false shuffles from the same grip. If you are only controlling a few cards then I think other cards flying out is actually a big boost to the shuffle's look in terms of fairness and randomness.

But for complete control I find it easier to do a false riffle type shuffle whenever possible and control the entire deck instead of keeping track of just the top and bottom with an overhand shuffle. Because I do bungle that a lot.

I think the problem becomes worse when an old deck. If you use a fairly fresh one and handle it with a light touch you may be more successful. But for me at least it is a problem shuffle if I'm not allowed to look at my hands.

There are lots of things that take time to master, but the overhand shuffle appears so straight forward that you really feel you should master it in no time at all. But it probably just takes a bit longer than you would think.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Yekrats
View Profile
Loyal user
Dayton, Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Yekrats
I think it's possible to "plateau" with one's abilities every once in a while. Perhaps you're thinking about it too much? (You're afraid you're going to mess up something "simple", and your brain concentrates on not messing it up, and then messes it up anyway, causing a negative feedback loop.

In those cases I've found it useful to work on something else for a little while and come back to it in a few days. You should be able to pick back up where you left off, and it may even be a little better.

Just a thought.
--
Corporate or event magic & mentalism: http://WizardoftheWabash.com
Bandon
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Bandon
Thank you both for your encouraging words, it's especially nice to know it's not just me. I did consider leaving it alone for a while but after going through the rrtcm too quickly the first time I wanted make sure I mastered every section before moving on like I was supposed to, which made me not want to do something else for a while but just focus on this section, but I think I'm just going to have to move on for a bit now since if in my mind I think I've hit a wall there's not much going around that I suppose hehe. Once again thank you both
AlienSpaceBat
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of AlienSpaceBat
Don't know if this helps ?-

When I was learning the overhand shuffle from RRTCM I had problems with cards pulling back out and going all over the place.

What seemed to be my problem was as I lifted the remaining deck with my right hand, other cards would get pulled upwards from the packet that should have stayed in my left. I fixed this by angling the deck slightly back to the right as I lifted my right hand and the shuffle was much better & cleaner.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
It happens to all of us at one time or another. You are probably just going too fast, either that, and/or you are trying too hard.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
dmueller
View Profile
Loyal user
Central Illinois
227 Posts

Profile of dmueller
Quote:
On 2009-04-03 15:12, The Amazing Noobini wrote:
I feel the same way. After a couple of years, I am not yet able to overhand shuffle with a completely predictable outcome every time. Ever so often cards turn around or even drop and I certainly cannot run X number of single cards without drawing off more than one now and again.

I prefer to use the shuffle when things are allowed to be and supposed to look a bit sloppy, in combination with other false shuffles from the same grip. If you are only controlling a few cards then I think other cards flying out is actually a big boost to the shuffle's look in terms of fairness and randomness.

But for complete control I find it easier to do a false riffle type shuffle whenever possible and control the entire deck instead of keeping track of just the top and bottom with an overhand shuffle. Because I do bungle that a lot.

I think the problem becomes worse when an old deck. If you use a fairly fresh one and handle it with a light touch you may be more successful. But for me at least it is a problem shuffle if I'm not allowed to look at my hands.

There are lots of things that take time to master, but the overhand shuffle appears so straight forward that you really feel you should master it in no time at all. But it probably just takes a bit longer than you would think.

I have just the opposite problem. I can overhand fairly well, although far be it from perfectly, but I can not do a false riffle to save my life. I always end up either looking very obvious or loosing cards.
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
Here's a suggestion I was given years ago that has held in good stead for my magic and even for my life:

Are you in a race? Relax. Breathe. Have fun. If it stops being fun, take a break from learning new stuff. Just relax and work on your basics. There is no time limit on learning. The light bulbs go on for each of us - at a different rate of speed and in a different order. That's what makes life fun - we are all different. Kinda.

David Fletcher, Professional Husband
You have to give it away to keep it.
wingz
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of wingz
Couples of suggestions

1) Adjust the pressure of your left thumb. May be you are pressing too hard.
2) Adjust the position where you left thumb contacting the right pack. May be too high or too low
3) Adjust the angle of your right pack. Is it too veritcal or too horizontal
4) Relax.
wingz
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of wingz
Couples of suggestions

1) Adjust the pressure of your left thumb. May be you are pressing too hard.
2) Adjust the position where you left thumb contacting the right pack. May be too high or too low
3) Adjust the angle of your right pack. Is it too veritcal or too horizontal
4) Relax.
cyberdog
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of cyberdog
Keep practicing you eventually get it...in the beginnig it's kind of a knack but you'll get it
pfig
View Profile
New user
Portugal
52 Posts

Profile of pfig
Hi,
I'm a beginner like you and I'm also following the RRTCM. And just like you, I had a lot of trouble doing a good overhand shuffle. I can do a really nice in-the-hands rifle shuffle. I can do a perfect faro shuffle. But the overhand shuffle sometimes get screwed. Relax and keep practicing. If your're in a bad day, take the day off and continue practicing the next day.
Bandon
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Bandon
Thank you all for your feedback, luckily there's a lot of content in the rrtcm so I've been working on that since this happened, and I'll keep working for a while before I return to the first chapter again just so the mindset that I cant do it is out of my mind hehe
rdsachs
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of rdsachs
I feel exactly the same way! Whenever I feel I'm moving forward and learning to do tough new sleights and tricks the 'easy' ones just mess up on me and I begin feeling like Im getting worse rather than better! I can do some pretty fancy moves like the the hot shot cut and sybil but my overhand always looks sloppy.. I just reaalllly slow it down as if I have all the time in the world and what I'm doing s unimportant and most of all I speak to the audience whilst I'm doing it taking attention of the hands as it seems like its not part of the trick but something in between... In the general scheme of things I go back and practice easy things more thna I do complicated things!
Paul Reed
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Paul Reed
Yeah my overhand seems to be taking ages to get right, I been reading RRTCM, Card College, and watching Paul Wilson. People must think I'm mad - shuffling on the train to and from work, very embarrassing picking them up off the floor!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Only when I fail to practice as much as I should...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Try some of the Lennert Green approach, and do it on purpose..He is a master at it...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
bhayankaran
View Profile
Regular user
India
146 Posts

Profile of bhayankaran
And with sweaty hands it becomes more a mess. I hate when the cards stick to my thumb. But still love practicing
olaf911
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
104 Posts

Profile of olaf911
For me this is a general problem: Whenever I practice something too hard, I begin to get worse. For me it helps to stop at that point and do something different. At first I switched from coin magic to cards to ropes to sponges... You get the idea. If all those switches do not work I take a break from practicing alltogether. You will be astonished how easy things get when you let your brain work on those moves by NOT practicing.

Particularly for false overhand shuffles I find it easier to control the whole deck instead of only a few cards. There is some very nice method in a german book "Handbuch der Magie" by Jochen Zmeck, which suits me fine. But that's probably just me...

In short words: Learn to takes breaks at the right time.

Hope that helps.
gharf
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of gharf
Yes I think this problem is common to all performing arts.

I don't have engouh experience in magic to talk about that but I ve been playing violin for 14 years and this happens a lot when you work too much on a play then it will get worse and worse. as olaf911 said it s just a matter of taking a break at the right time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ever feel like you're going backwards? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL