The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ever feel like you're going backwards? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
guitarmagic
View Profile
Elite user
Southern Louisiana
425 Posts

Profile of guitarmagic
Great. Working/Practicing/Rehearsing with balance in mind: enough but not too much! Works for me . . . thanks!
Why is it that on one side of the world a person looks at a picture of the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks so real." At the same time on the other side of the world a person looks at the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks like a picture."
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Johnny Butterfield
I'm with Olaf... maybe take a break from that, work on something else, and come back to it with "fresh hands".
The current economic crisis is due to all the coins I've vanished.
The poster formerly known as Fman111.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Slow the shuffle down until it doesn;t happen. You don't need to shuffle the cards at the speed of light. I have performed at many venues including a few restaurant gigs that run for a few years (I am no longer performing professionally) but I can promise you a slow shuffle and light conversation while you are doing it is much better than a super fast shuffle.
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
Stratford, CT should have more than
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
I would suggest going back and re-reading with a deck in hand so you can almost "re-learn" the shuffle again.

Good luck Smile
"There's something that gets in your soul when you study magic,it's in your heart, and when you perform it comes across the footlights and into everybody else's heart..."
-Denny Haney
Paul Reed
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Paul Reed
Yeah I have had a big time out, so I might start Card College again, where are my cards...
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I'm going to make a terrible suggestion - stop trying to learn a basic, standard, layman-type, overhand shuffle from a book! I can understand wanting to learn the overhand JOG shuffle from a book - I've taught it a number of times myself, because there is a "proper" way to do it - correctly, that is. But - a "normal" everyday overhand shuffle?! C'mon - just do the d@mn thing, just as a rank layman does when handed a deck to shuffle. It may just be that trying to follow such a simple thing from a book is what's causing the problem. Pick up a deck and just shuffle it, d@mn it! It's almost like trying to learn to walk when you're an adult - from a book! You'd probably keep tripping! Yeah, I know - terrible suggestion. Best - Harry L.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Paul Reed
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Paul Reed
The thing is I developed a rather lame/embarrassing shuffle (im not convinced it even shuffles) back when I was a kid. So I'm kinda fighting the urge to go back to that every time I pick up the cards! You are of course right Harry, I'll put the book to one side and just get it bottomed out ;-)
IanL
View Profile
New user
Washington State
83 Posts

Profile of IanL
Check out the sample private lesson on Aaron Fisher's page. He gives some tips on the overhand shuffle that I found helpful.

http://www.aaronfishermagic.com/coaching.htm
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Harry said it all. And from the mouth of a master!
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Nom de Guerre
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Nom de Guerre
Aaron Fisher's instruction has helped me with a lot of aspects of card handling, and in particular, the OH shuffle.

I echo the suggestions of slowing down. First, get the accuracy down while doing the OH shuffle

s l o w l y.

The speed will come naturally.

For me, the difficulty was that I had never used an OH shuffle in card handling over the years prior to starting to learn card magic. I always riffle shuffled, so the simple OH shuffle felt odd and clumsy initially. After a few days or weeks of practice, it begins to feel pretty natural. This applies to learning all types of moves though, doesn't it?
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
[quote]after going through the rrtcm too quickly the first time I wanted make sure I mastered every section before moving on like I was supposed to
[\quote]

"Mastery" is NOT the accomplishment of a single leap; it's the progression you make over a life time.
You do NOT have to "master" every section RIGHT NOW! And you probably won't.

"Master" what you can for your level of ability, and move on from there.
The book will still be here later on, when your smoothness, touch, sense of pressure, confidence, etc. have increased.
THen you can go back and find something else that will stump you. 8>)

Ed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ever feel like you're going backwards? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL