The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Way to be alerted when people respond? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

FrenchFryNecromancer
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of FrenchFryNecromancer
Is there a way to be alerted when other magicians post on a topic that you have posted on? That is, I want to subscribe to a topic, so I have an idea if someone has responded to something I have said.

Also, is there a section I can go to, to see the most recent posts?

-Jason
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Jason, if you start the topic, you can click the box under your message to notify you when someone responds to the topic. You'll get an email everytime a post is made to the topic.

You cannot get that notificaton if you haven't started the topic. That's what the red and white coffee mugs are for. When you go to a topic, a red mug means that new posts have been made since the last time you logged in. You can either go to the topic and scroll through to the last posts you haven't read or you can click on the GO button on the right side of the index under the members name. That will take you to the last post in the topic.

Here's a tip if you are only interested in a few forums and don't want to scroll through the entire index. Click on the "welcome to the MagicCafe" statement at the top of the index. That will close all the forums and only show you the forum title. Click on the one you are interested in "the workers" for example and only that forum will expand to show you the topics. To return to normal, just click on the MagicCafe logo and all the forums will expand.
Where the magic begins
FrenchFryNecromancer
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of FrenchFryNecromancer
Thank you for this tip! Also, what I have been doing lately is I will click on my username at the top of the website and then click to see all my posts in the last 30 days. Helps me keep track of where I have posted.
bik0z
View Profile
Regular user
France
108 Posts

Profile of bik0z
Quote:
On 2009-04-04 07:19, Dave Scribner wrote:
You cannot get that notificaton if you haven't started the topic. That's what the red and white coffee mugs are for. When you go to a topic, a red mug means that new posts have been made since the last time you logged in.

It seems that the e-mail alert feature has been asked many and many times before.

IMHO, this is something which many members would benefit from. More, I see no technical reason that prevents such an improvement.

So instead of (always) telling us what we already know (i.e. how to find our own last 30-day posts or how to use the search engine), why not tell us *why* the current alert system can't be expanded so that we can simply follow *any* thread?

I really do not want to mess things up, I just want to know why obvious and trivial things seems impossible.
My English sucks, I know it. It's probably better than your French anyway...
bik0z
View Profile
Regular user
France
108 Posts

Profile of bik0z
I have just found the "right" answer from the "right" person: Gene.

Take a look at Gene's posts (in the Tech Help forum), you will know why the topic subscriptions (e-mail alert) feature has not been implemented so far.

For example :
http://themagiccafe.com/forums/search_po......=5697088

Thank you, Gene!
My English sucks, I know it. It's probably better than your French anyway...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Way to be alerted when people respond? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL