The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » David Penn's 21st Century Toppit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
echomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of echomagic
Regarding vest installation:

In his stage act, Jay Scott Berry uses a vest with a topit installed. Maybe that would be the best reference for solrak29. Almost any topit can be customized for your clothing.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Thanks echomagic...

I like the fact that there is no professional tailoring required and they make
it sound like you can literaly in matter of minutes move this from one jacket
to another.

Does this come with the product or do you have to make it?
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Friends can't review other friends material. They find zero negatives and can't give an unbiased reviews.

For the non-friends that posted reviews, thanks for saving me some money!

Joe
~Joe
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
730 Posts

Profile of ftlum
Quote:
On 2009-08-23 10:18, echomagic wrote:
I bought David Penn's Toppit DVD. As stated earlier, the topit design takes a step backwards in technology.

I thought the DVD was good as an additional reference to other videos out in the marketplace already.

I agree with this. The Topit itself is a major step backward compared to the Ammar pattern. The routines and techniques on the DVD, however, are well thought-out and are worth the price of the package, even if you don't use the supplied Topit. I wouldn't say it would replace the Ammar tapes, but it's a nice supplementation to them.

-Frank
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
In the latest issue of Magicseen - Jan 2010 you can find a review of this DVD. The magazine give it a 5-star rating.

On my wishlist.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
You can get a digital direct copy here with the complete review.

http://www.magicseen.co.uk/
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Enjoy a lecture clip with the great Fred Kaps showing a topit in "work":

1976: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2IA5wtbMI
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2010-02-12 13:09, Kjellstrom wrote:
Enjoy a lecture clip with the great Fred Kaps showing a topit in "work":

1976: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2IA5wtbMI

I appreciate the clip of the great Kaps at work , but this is a lecture for magicians only, yet it is now posted on YouTube for anyone (non-magicians included) to watch. Can you please post this video of Kaps showing the working of the topit as a PRIVATE video instead of revealed to all ?
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
685 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
Just bought this item.....I'm not a Topit freak, I don't have Ammar's Topit, I've just seen topit from Jay Scott Berry.....
The best thing from 21st century topit, it's easy to install to your Jacket, you can set up the Topit with all your jacket that you have, since you set up the topit to all your jacket, you can install the 21st century topit, only for less than 10 seconds......So, if you have more than 1 jacket to perform, this is a great solution....
From the DVD, you've got,
1. Expelation about the Topit (how to install it to your jacket, the basic technique using this topit)
2. Routine Performance using 21st century topit (only 3 performance, The black eight, Clean coin in bottle, Kid at Christmas)
3. Routine explanation, there is 5 explanation routine (3 routine on the performance + Salt Inspector and circle to forth dimension)
4. You get the password to access to discussion about 21st century topit.

From the routine, overall great....my favourite is the "Circle to forth dimension", the routine is so visual, just great.....
but comparing with Topit from Jay Scott Berry, I have to say, Jay's Topit is more better for the routine and performance. but for easy installation and street magic, 21st century Topit is the best choice.....

Elvan
lemonjug
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of lemonjug
I wonder if you can help me with something I've never understood about installable topits: what happens if the lining of the jacket is a different colour to the topit? Or is this just not an issue? Thanks for the review by the way, I love topit work and might pick this up.
Jim Stan Magic Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago Area
241 Posts

Profile of Jim Stan Magic Man
I use the Ammar topit in my jackets. The seamstress went out and matched the material to the lining so there is no "flashing" of a different color. I also own the Patrick Page topit which sounds similar to the 21st Century Topit. It is ok for practice but I do not think I would use it in actual performance.

Jim
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1406 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Quote:
On 2009-07-07 12:04, DonHarlan wrote:
I just picked this up. I will be installing the topit later on this week, and will let everyone know how it works out...

So Don, been over a year, any updates? Is very portable, easily transfered to coat to coat? Not to concern with the DVD, lots of source material. I am primarily interested in Topit.

I have been searching for the perfect Topit for years. For me so far its been the TKO, but there is still some more issue with that. It will work for now.

JerryB
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
I bought the Ammar Toppit DVD but haven't got round to installing it. I received the 21st Century toppit last week to compare & I'll be going with the Ammar one. As has been mentioned before, the 21st Century design seems to stick with everything that Ammar thought was bad about it & subsequently improved upon. You cannot retrieve the item easily & the hit rate isn't reliable enough.

David Penn has a few nice routines on the DVD but I feel other things, such as performance set up, weren't covered at all. As for the speedy set up & moving it from jacket to jacket - I believe if you're to get the best from this design you still need to have parts of it it sewn in place else you're have difficulty in keeping it open. This is another thing not covered on the DVD.

I've actually made alterations to the 21st Century toppit to make it more like Ammar's design so I may be able to use it as a spare. But all I'm really doing is re-inventing the wheel so I'll be having Michael's toppit installed & be using that.

In summary then, you cannot beat Michael Ammar's work on the toppit IMO. Not only is his design far superior but his DVD is much more comprehensive.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1406 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Thank you UncleBunkle for your input, it was very helpful.

I am going to pass on the 21st Century topit. I believe I have finally gotten the device I want from another source. It's being ship now, so I should know for certain by the end of this week.

In the near future I hope to purchase the Ammar and Bob Fitch's DVD.

JerryB
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I don't have this, but I did watch David Penn's lecture where he discussed it. He doesn't use what he calls the "chicken" of both arms flapping and throwing. From the footage, David has very natural actions. Better than any I've seen using a toppit. His routines are stunning.

"David Penn has come up with effects with the Toppit that no one else ever dreamed possible"
- Patrick Page

From what I saw on the lecture, I'd agree.
COB
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of COB
Topit or TKO that's what I'm asking myself.
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2015, COB wrote:

And your answer is?
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2015, COB wrote:

Topit - more versatile as to what you can vanish. Jacket is a must. Needs Tailored and some alteration (for easy retrieval).

TKO 2.0 - cards & coins basically. (possibly other very small objects). Only need a button down shirt. Can be tucked in or untucked. Very easy DIY install and switch to another shirt if needed

They actually could even both be used at the same time Smile It really depends on what you are going to use it for and how you dress when you perform as to which is a better choice for "you". I have both (Ammar and TKO 2.0), have never altered a suit jacket yet but put an Ammar pattern topit into a denim jacket and it works well. I have a TKO 2.0 in a black and a white casual button down short sleeve (you get one of each color) and I prefer untucked. I will say, I use the TKO 2.0 more but mostly as a matter of convenience (not wearing my jacket the whole time) I dress very casual as it is suited to the type effects I perform.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
David Penn's Topit finally convinced me to start using it. He uses a stunningly simple idea to switch it from one jacket to another.
This could even be put in a vest.... This is what convinced me. First, some of you are complaining about the design. THIS WILL WORK WITH ANY
TOPIT DESIGN. WHAT IS THE BIG PROBLEM? Magicians are supposed to be a little creative. sometimes we act like we can't take something good from Ammar as in design and technique, and also combine it with superior portability. Sorry, you DO NOT NEED TO SEW THIS ON EACH JACKET. It will not be any stronger if you sew it, really. I can't mention what he uses but tech has caught up with the 21st century.

If you wear a jacket during cool weather , of any type, you need to consider this. I am very thankful for this.
With a topit you can really perform miracles and ditch easier than with most other methods. So thanks Mr. Penn. If you are still on the fence,
again, realize that you can change or alter the style of the pattern, DUH. But what is offered here is a superior and strong
portability that should make magicians able to do so much more with their magic. Check it out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » David Penn's 21st Century Toppit (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL