The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » CATCH by Ben Seidman (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2287 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Ben Seidman creator of IVanish, has another release out.

I found it on Penguin Magic.

Any thoughts on this?

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
This is great. I have it, there is some initial preparation to prepare the trick but once you make it up you have a killer effect as your hand REALLY is empty when you plunge it into the spray of cards. He even gives a method where the card can be signed.

In the basic effect the card is not removed from the deck. You merely fan the cards and have a person think of a card. The spectator shuffles the deck and can throw it into the air.You plunge your hand into the spray of cards plucking the actual card thought of.

Here is an idea. I personally don't like throwing the cards into the air. It ruins the deck and they fall all over the floor. You have to pick them up, etc.

Get a LARGE clear plastic bag, about 15 x 17. Fan the cards and let someone just think of a card. The person shuffles the cards and drops them into clear plastic bag. He shakes the cards so they are well mixed and holds the bag open. Showing your hand clearly to be empty you plunge it into the bag while looking away and immediately pull out the merely thought of card. How's that for a killer effect? If you have the trick you can use the plastic bag idea (which isn't mentioned on the DVD).

Devin Knight
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
I saw Ben perform this at a show and WOW. It looks really clean since all they have to do is think of a card and you throw them to catch the one they thought of. Your hands don't look suspicious like you're palming a card so it is as clean as possible. This effect seems perfect for one of those moments where you want to impress people with something quick that can play for any sized audience.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
One thing to note out is they don't really get a free choice of a card. It is a force. And using the force where they only think of a card, spectators can call you out on it.

I like some of the alternative methods on the DVD more than the main handling.
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2287 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
I ordered this last night from Hocus Pocus!

I will review it once I receive it.

Thanks

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Quote:
On 2009-04-06 21:56, magicman4646 wrote:
One thing to note out is they don't really get a free choice of a card. It is a force. And using the force where they only think of a card, spectators can call you out on it.

I like some of the alternative methods on the DVD more than the main handling.

That may be the truth but from the audience's perspective, they think of a card. That is exactly how Ben performed it and that is exactly how I remember it. The person might call you out on it but that can happen with any effect so I would keep it the same way it is routined.
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2287 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
I will post a review of this tomorrow, when I receive it?

Thanks

Alex
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2287 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
OK so I saw this.

It is absolutely great!

What I loved about the DVD is that Ben also goes over older methods on catching the card with sleight of hand.

He also teaches you all the moves necessary as well.

The gimmicked version is great as you can show you hand empty before the catch.

I agree with Devin above.

Alex
cardlover
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of cardlover
John Carney has a hands free version of catching a card fron a springing deck in his book, which is about as clean looking as it gets and looks completley open and fair, with no angle issues at all.

I wonder if the same gimmick is involved?
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1237 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Sounds great. I'm tempted.

However, if on a stage or in parlour situation the throw the deck in the air catch the card and leave the deck on the ground - nice display. Never mind the deck, even if you don't get paid for the show.

Close up, the plastic bag idea seems very good.
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
684 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
Thanks for all information about this product,
it's interesting from the first time I saw the video.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Ben's a very talented guy. I liked his Ivanish DVD and this looks like another winner from him.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Thecloseupmagic
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Thecloseupmagic
Hey Everyone!

Ben Seidman here.... Thanks for your kind words about CATCH! This one of a few routines that I make my living with. In otherwords, If I'm doing a stand up set, there's a 95% chance Catch will be a feature. There are occasions where it might be inappropriate to scatter a deck of cards depending on the venue, but I find this rare. often, after the show, audience members pick up cards off the floor and ask me to sign them. (Devin, cool idea with the plastic bag!) If cards on the floor bother someone, try Devin’s idea. Or if it really turns you off, perhaps CATCH! isn’t for you.

There are 5 methods on the dvd because I want people to use what works best for them. Most people I’ve talked to love the main method, but of course some prefer another handling. Either way, Great! Each method has its own strengths. And I have performed all of them in front of real people.

My audiences leave thinking that CATCH! wasn’t a magic trick, instead it looks to them like real skill. of course this count be farther from the truth, it’s a trick. But the routine looks so clean that it seems to be real. I like that.

One post mentioned a force and although I don’t think its proper etiquette to discuss the method of marketed effects, I will say that the spectator VERBALLY CONFIRMS THAT THEY COULD HAVE SEEN ANY CARD. Everyone, including your spectator, comes away very amazed. If you don’t like the “thought of card” aspect you can simply have a card selected. It works either way.

In response to card lover’s post, I do mention Carney for his terrific method in Carneycopia. My gimmick and handling are different from his, for example, CATCH! can be done without a table.

I hope this has helped clear up some questions. thank you all for your interest!

Ben Seidman
Creator of CATCH! & iVanish
Magic Consultant – Mindfreak
The Resident Magician at Mandalay Bay Las Vegas
johndraws
View Profile
Loyal user
Danville, Illinois
202 Posts

Profile of johndraws
"My audiences leave thinking that CATCH! wasn’t a magic trick, instead it looks to them like real skill. of course this count be farther from the truth, it’s a trick. But the routine looks so clean that it seems to be real. I like that. "

I think this an an overlooked value by magicians. Many times I have performed tricks or "demonstrations" that seem (to the spectator) to require a great deal of skill. Honestly, Who does not admire or repect skill? We all love Dia Vernon. Why? Skill level is more respected than the notion that something magical actually happened. The spectator is enormously wowed to say the least with "Catch".
I have observed "Catch" and was impressed from the very first time. Ben...was this the same version Criss Angel did on the motorcycle where someone threw up the deck of cards as he drove through them and caught the selected card? Again...not so much as a magic trick but as a card sleight. Hand empty...cards go up....thought of card is caught in mid air. It looks flawless. Do not over think this...do not get trapped in the magicians way of thinking. Spectators love this and as a magican so do I...hand shown empty. It is fantastic. To me...this effect is more entertaining to witness than any card razzle dazzel shuffle or Dan and Dave manipulatuon routine they can come up with.

Ben thanks for sharing this gem. It is definately something spectators talk about after the performance. The conversations that happen afterwards....are more important that what actually takes place. That is the entire principle of magic. What took place in their mind...Ben's routine "Catch" is clean, flawless and invites discussion on what happened. Worth every penny.
cpzwart
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of cpzwart
I met Ben back in January at a lecture in Baltimore and was instantly impressed with Catch. After viewing the DVD I was even more so.

Not only does Ben explain everything in great detail, he also gives a thorough history on the concept of the trick, which a lot of DVD's lack.

The trick itself is very clever, I watched the promo video a dozen times and couldn't pick up on the method. I had an idea in my head on what it could be, but I was way off! What Ben has come up with goes way beyond what I thought.

Ben leaves nothing out of this DVD, with all the different methods he teaches, you really could perform this trick at a moments notice.

Great Job, Ben. I look forward to seeing what you come up with in the future.
Alvo
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Alvo
For anyone interested, I did a short interview with Ben about Catch yesterday. You can listen to it here: http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1943 (just under the video)
Paul Draper
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, Nevada
246 Posts

Profile of Paul Draper
Ben Seidman is one of the most exciting magicians in Las Vegas today. He has come out with some stellar effects that magicians universally enjoy watching and performing. Ben has consulted on Criss Angels Mindfreak and is touring the country with the Optical Delusions. I love when Ben and I are both in Vegas at the same time and can sit down and talk about magic! Ben is very clever, very original.

-Paul Draper
johndraws
View Profile
Loyal user
Danville, Illinois
202 Posts

Profile of johndraws
Quote:
On 2009-04-21 03:05, Alvo wrote:
For anyone interested, I did a short interview with Ben about Catch yesterday. You can listen to it here: http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1943 (just under the video)

I enjoyed that interview. Ben, what happened in Colorado?

Ben mentions the stab routines with Aldo. I too enjoy the stab a card in the air routines however this Catch routine is very VERY practical.There is no reason for a spectator to even think a "gimmiked" prop is used.Unlike a card stab routine. Even though the knife is not gimmiked...many people think it might be. So this is engineered out of the routine in Ben's "Catch". Which makes it even stronger than a stab routine.Also...in the videos posted on another topic,the video has a very unatural way to "remove" the card...one of Ben's versions (there are 5) on the DVD has someone THINK of a card. Both routines are amazing...and like you have described before, your catch routine seems to be perceived as more of a demonstration of learned and practiced skill. If people are thinking of buying the John Kennedy routine.....do it. However, Luke Jermay suggested that when you learn a trick with a gimmick.....learn a version you can do without it.John's card stab is so affordable and so is Ben's DVD that you can buy both for less than $85.00 WHy not buy both if you are just thinking of one? A. Who DOESN't love a card stab...and if your going to buy and learn a stab routine everntually if you are noted as a magician, you will be asked to do THAT trick when you are propless....with Ben...one of the 5 versions shows you an impromptu version. You cannot go wrong with Ben's catch for several reasons. There are to many reason why you should add this one to your list of practical yet memorable routines. Thought of card...cards thrown in the air...empty hand catches and reveals thought of card....kick ass. How did he catch it...and how did he know which one it was? Left Right combo.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
You talk of this routine as if it's impromptu, when it's not. It's heavily gimmicked. Hence, the Luke Jermay quote does not apply.

The reason I mentioned the force is because it's easy and quite possible for the spectator to call you out on it. It's not a sure-fire force, but it's one of the main advertising points for CATCH!
Sean Fields
View Profile
V.I.P.
Winnipeg
891 Posts

Profile of Sean Fields
Ben was kind enough to give the the lowdown on Catch! on the phone today; this routine oozes Ben's unique approach to magic. If you like what you see in the demo, you are going to love whats on the DVD!

Sean
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » CATCH by Ben Seidman (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL