The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » CATCH by Ben Seidman (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Thecloseupmagic
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Thecloseupmagic
In response to magicman4646:

I have never been called out. Not once. I have used the technique you speak of hundreds of times and there has never been a problem. You write that it isn’t “sure fire,” yet I have performed it with 100% accuracy. Perhaps that specific technique is too bold for your taste magicman4646. That’s why there are other options on the dvd. But frankly, I’ve never had problems with this moment, nor has anyone I know of who does the routine.
Sean Fields
View Profile
V.I.P.
Winnipeg
891 Posts

Profile of Sean Fields
The force does work, and properly handled, will be 100% accurate. But I think we are getting sidetracked; if you don't like the force(s) that Ben teaches, use your favorite. I am more amped about the 'catching' part of Catch!, but that is just me.

Sean
johndraws
View Profile
Loyal user
Danville, Illinois
202 Posts

Profile of johndraws
Quote:
On 2009-04-21 22:49, magicman4646 wrote:
You talk of this routine as if it's impromptu, when it's not. It's heavily gimmicked. Hence, the Luke Jermay quote does not apply.

The reason I mentioned the force is because it's easy and quite possible for the spectator to call you out on it. It's not a sure-fire force, but it's one of the main advertising points for CATCH!

I said one of the 5 different versions is impromptu.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1060 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I purchased Catch because I'm looking for new effects for my stage act and I thought this would fill the bill. I've been studying the DVD and have not yet decided how I can use it, mainly because of wardrobe requirements.

Ben's DVD is top notch. He does a fantastic job explaining everything and goes into great detail. The production values are very high, good sound, lighting and menus. His crediting and historical info on the effect is very good. The effect is as advertised and is a real worker. You get everything you need to perform a very powerful and convincing trick. All the other discussion about forcing, etc is really not that relevant to me. Ben’s trick is solid and will entertain and amaze any audience.

For me, the biggest trade off is you must wear a jacket and keep wearing it, even after you perform the effect. There is also some restriction on movement prior to performing, or you may disturb the set up. I think it will work best if I open with it, or if I do it as a stand alone. I can’t perform my usual opener while pre-set for Catch. Otherwise I love it.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
david alan
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of david alan
Hey Ben.... Great fourm here. saw the demo and love the effect. My question is this... I want to find a card "stab" or "catch" that I can use for family shows. I don't like knives or guns in my act. Can this effect be used with my card fountian? A deck switch would be no problem if necessary. I tried an effect years ago with "salad tongs", but the card appears in the tongs folded in quarters. Makes no sense. I love your effect. A jacket is no problem but sometimes when kids are present they will rush the stage after a card fountain so I like to do the fountain at the end. What are the problems with that? If you'd rather PM me, I'd love to discuss your effect. Just want to know if it will fit my needs.
No Show the Magician
View Profile
New user
Over the Rainbow
35 Posts

Profile of No Show the Magician
To all,

I've seen Ben do this live in a lecture here in Columbus, Ohio. In a word, it was "stunning". The catch was awesome. I had no clue how he did it and it just looked like pure skill.

Kudos Ben!! This one is a huge winner in my book!

Aaron
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
Quote:
On 2009-05-01 15:47, Mediocre the Great wrote:
I purchased Catch because I'm looking for new effects for my stage act and I thought this would fill the bill. I've been studying the DVD and have not yet decided how I can use it, mainly because of wardrobe requirements.

Ben's DVD is top notch. He does a fantastic job explaining everything and goes into great detail. The production values are very high, good sound, lighting and menus. His crediting and historical info on the effect is very good. The effect is as advertised and is a real worker. You get everything you need to perform a very powerful and convincing trick. All the other discussion about forcing, etc is really not that relevant to me. Ben’s trick is solid and will entertain and amaze any audience.

For me, the biggest trade off is you must wear a jacket and keep wearing it, even after you perform the effect. There is also some restriction on movement prior to performing, or you may disturb the set up. I think it will work best if I open with it, or if I do it as a stand alone. I can’t perform my usual opener while pre-set for Catch. Otherwise I love it.

I love the looks of this effect, but am concerned about the fact that you say it's possible to "disturb the setup". I'm not looking for exposure, but are you saying that it would be risky to put it at the end of a standup routine? Would it be possible to "adjust" and make sure everything was ok on the fly (in front of the audience before you began the trick)? The preview shows that it can be done with a signed card; I would take this to mean that you must load "on the fly" to some extent. Thoughts?

P.S. I realize several versions are explained, but it appeared that the signed version was part of the "main" method being discussed. Or was this another example of tricky editing, where the signed version applies only to one of the impromptu methods?
john Graybeal
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of john Graybeal
Does the gimmick take up a lot of room? I have a lot of stuff going on under the sleeves of my jacket? don't want to run out of room:)

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » CATCH by Ben Seidman (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL