The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Can you help? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
A Florida magic couple needs your help - whether it's monetarily or your prayers.

The couple in question is Marty and Carolyn Bristow who have been magical entertainers in Florida for decades. They are a wonderful couple who will be lost without each other. They have been together since high school where they were high school sweethearts. They took vows of marriage shortly after high school for better or worse, sickness and health. Lately things have been more "worse and sickness" than "better and health."

Both Marty and Carolyn are disabled and receive a very small disability check. Those checks don't begin to cover the cost of rent, groceries, and other necessities - not to mention the mountain of medical bills that are mounting. Carolyn has been battling cancer for a few years now and is now in hospice care. She has been in a great deal of pain and is now being given morphine for the pain.

Marty is very worried because they don't have money to pay for a funeral and put her to rest when the inevitable happens. Doctors have indicated that time is very short and has stopped radiation treatments because the cancer has spread so much.

Marty sold some of the last of his best magic equipment two weeks ago at the Orlando IBM Ring 170's Flea Market & Auction just to be able to raise enough money to have his phone turned back on to stay in touch with the hospital and to keep up with doctors appointments. Marty has even had to miss some of his own medication doses so he could afford to buy Carolyn's meds.

Recently paperwork has been completed with Bank Of America to set up a fund to help them. Here is the information on that:

Bank of America
501 W. Central Avenue
Winter Haven, FL 33880

Any Check or Money Order donations should be made out to The Marty and Carol Fund Account. The account number is # 229023841344

The routing number for wire transfers is: 026009593

Bank of America has waved all fees associated with this account and all money will go to directly to help Marty and Carol.

If you would like to send a card or words of encouragement, Marty and Carol's home address information is:

Marty & Carol Bristow
2390 29TH ST
Winter Haven, FL 33881

Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Thanks for sharing this with us Lyndel. I lost my father, and most recently my older brother to cancer. My brother was always quick to point out that he wasn't dying from cancer, he was living with it. His more popular line that he used a lot was,"All is well". He was strong and couragous, and I'll always be proud to call him my big brother, but I'll miss him. Although I've lost people close to me from cancer, I still have no idea what it's like to lose a spouse. This must be very hard times for Marty right now, (not excluding what Carol has gone through). My prayers and monetary support are with Marty & Carol Bristow.

Daniel
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
I'll be helping...

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Thank you Dan and Piers. Your help and prayers are VERY appreciated. You guys are awesome!

Lyndel
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
Continuing to wish them well...

Piers
Smile

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!

Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Continued prayers are appreciated. Here's an e-mail update I just received from Marty this morning (04/22/09):

>
>
>
>

Hello Friends and Family,

I hate to have to say it but Carolyn had to be taken to the hospital today, She was going into heart failure. The doctors saw her quickly and seem to have things under control. She is in a bad way and they have run all the test and scans and so on. She is in a lot of pain tonight. I just left there and it it now 10 minutes to 10 pm. They just gave her pain pills and also some pain shots. They had to put in a catheter and nothing but blood red was running down the tube, a very dark red. I have seen this with her before but not this much. It was scary to see her in so much pain. Her legs and feet were so swollen it hurt her just to touch them when I tried to put a blanket on her legs. She has the best doctors taking care of her right now and they are doing all they can. I will keep you informed as the days ahead go on. She is in Winter Haven Hospital in room 453 and she can have calls just please keep them short The hospital phone is 863-293-1121. That is all I have for you tonight

Martin Bristow
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
Praying for them both.

Piers.
Smile

Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
Have 'things' improved at all?

Piers.
Smile

Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Sorry Piers it has been a while since I have been on the Café and I just read this thread and your June 8th post.

Unfortunately, I am sad to report that Carol lost her battle with cancer on June 4th. There was a Broken Wand Ceremony at her funeral. Half the people attending the funeral were magicians which is a testament to her dedication to the art.

Marty was & is very appreciative of everyone's thoughts and prayers during this whole ordeal. Thank you all!

Lyndel
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
That's sad. But I am sure she is now at peace.

Anything we can do?

Piers.
Smile

Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I'm sure that Marty would appreciate an emailed word of encouragement from folks.

His e-mail address is: MBRISTOW1@TAMPABAY.RR.COM

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers Piers. ...And please know that you and your own situation is also in my own thoughts and prayers.

Lyndel
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
Still wishing Marty well ...

Piers.
Smile

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Can you help? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL