We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Xpert (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20 [Next]
riberts
View Profile
New user
Yorkshire, UK
53 Posts

Profile of riberts
Ok....

Ok...

I give in, ***it.

I'm in the UK - where do I get one from? Magictricks.co.uk don't appear to stock them. Can anyone else give me a steer?

And I know it's taken me months to pick up on this thread, but it better be quick delivery. I need one now!

Too late, I've ordered!
I'll post my thoughts when this product arrives.

(...and it looks like my input is needed - what's wrong with you lot out there? Why will no-one review this product??)

;)
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
MagicGeorge,

I like the routine a lot; shows good by-play with the audience and has lots of entertainment value.

Of course, for those who are not into cards that much, they should be made aware that your routine is not automatic or self-working but will require a few card sleights to perform well.

(That last comment was not intended as a criticism.)

Again, well done. Neil will like that variation.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1116 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Alright, since I waited until 11:45 P.M on April 15th to send in my tax returns (you think I'm kidding?), I guess that it's about time for me to get around to ordering this X-Pert thingy.

One of these days I'm going to stop procrastinating!!!
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3046 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On 2004-03-12 20:56, magicgeorge wrote:
This kinda floors people. I'm a happy man, thank you Neil.

Thank you, Magicgeorge. Very nice idea!

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), and contributor to the ebook GOLD: When It HAS To Be Performance GOLD -- all at Penguin.
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
Magicgeorge,

Thanks for suggesting that wonderful routine. I see it requires three basic sleights.

It will make for a very beautiful Card to Wallet effect.

Neil,

I understand you are preparing a publication with routines submitted to you by those who own and use the Xpert. How is that project coming along? I can´t wait.

Regards,

José
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
520 Posts

Profile of Craig Crossman
Hi Neil,

Based upon all the positive remarks posted here, I too have just purchased your Xpert from Penguin Magic. I look forward to receiving it shortly.

Craig

:)

Neil,

While I'm at it, I just saw an ad for something called "Super Sharpie" being sold at Hocus-Pocus. Are you familiar with it and how does it differ from your Xpert? I know you can't reveal methods but is it somehow SIMILAR? I'd like to know before I order it as well. I'd hate to order something that did the same thing!

Craig
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3046 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On 2004-04-24 00:04, PalmBeachGuy wrote:
Neil,

While I'm at it, I just saw an ad for something called "Super Sharpie" being sold at Hocus-Pocus. Are you familiar with it and how does it differ from your Xpert? I know you can't reveal methods but is it somehow SIMILAR? I'd like to know before I order it as well. I'd hate to order something that did the same thing!

Craig

Don't worry, Craig. They're nothing alike.

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), and contributor to the ebook GOLD: When It HAS To Be Performance GOLD -- all at Penguin.
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
Neil,

Will you be publishing new routines for the Xpert?
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3046 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On 2004-04-24 02:07, elgranmago wrote:
Neil,

Will you be publishing new routines for the Xpert?

Whoops! You posted this earlier and I missed it. Sorry about that.

Yes, I'm working on a collection of new routines right now. I'm still sorting out whether it should be a booklet or a DVD.

While I was initially hoping that it would be ready this month, life has its own timetable no matter how much we plan -- so I think the most likely date of its appearance will be in June.

You can bet that I'll let everybody here know when it's ready to hit the shelves.

Thanks for your interest, and if anybody out there has some original effect ideas that they've been holding back, it's still not too late to send them my way: neil@necromancerevents.com

Thanks,
Neil
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Neil, I hope you'll do a DVD. sign me up because the Xpert ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Jkta99
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
109 Posts

Profile of Jkta99
Isn't this effect illegal to do since you are actually bending a US coin?
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I can see the headlines now:
"Man Gets 35 To Life For Penny Bending Spree!"

Yes, technically, defacing US currency IS illegal, check out this article...

"WOODSTOCK, New York -- A couple who habitually brand their one dollar bills with a marijuana leaf and the quote: "I grew hemp," were recently contacted by Woodstock police acting on behalf of the Secret Service. Joy Beckerman and James Horn, owners of the Heaven On Earth Hemp Store, report that the police came to them with Xerox copies of stamped dollar bills and a written warning from the secret service specifying that the practice of defacing United States currency was a federal crime. Although Horn admits that the local officers were laid back about the whole issue, he claims that the notice stated that the U.S. Attorney General would be contacted and charges would be pressed if the couple didn't immediately stop the stamping."

But what they were doing surely ruffled more feathers than a penny bending magic effect done for entertainment purposes. I think we can all bend our pennies and have our spectators sign our dollar bills without fear of imprisonment.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
bkowkabany
View Profile
Loyal user
I have driven through the hearts of men
277 Posts

Profile of bkowkabany
I don't think it is a problem. Ever seen the penny machines that stretch them into an oblong shape and stamp them as a souvenir? The intent of the law, as I understand it, is to prevent forgery (making a $10 bill a $100 bill) or defacing money with the specific intent to make it unusable. Granted a bent penny is unusable, but our intent is to entertain.

Here is the actual law:

Defacement of currency is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. Under this provision, currency defacement is generally defined as follows: Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined not more than $100 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

Defacement of currency in such a way that it is made unfit for circulation comes under the jurisdiction of the United States Secret Service. Their address is: United States Secret Service, 1800 G Street, N. W., Washington, DC 20223.
Download our Free Magic Inventory and Show Creation software - www.mailware.com/magic

Mentalist by day. Bizzarist by night.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1152 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
a bent penny is unusable,

Here is the actual law:

Defacement of currency is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. Under this provision, currency defacement is generally defined as follows: Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System,

Well there you go.
Coins aren't "evidence of debt," they possess (in theory anyhow) intrinsic value; that is, say you go to a copper mine and ask for one hundredth of a dollar's worth of copper, they'd give you the amount of copper that's in a penny (You get a better deal from the government though, they give you the copper all symmetrically shaped & decorated for no extra charge.).
Is a bent penny unusable? In a vending machine, obviously, but does it lose purchasing power otherwise?
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5717 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2004-04-25 03:24, Jkta99 wrote:
Isn't this effect illegal to do since you are actually bending a US coin?

...And how about the thousands of coin operated handcrank penny pressers (for souvenirs) installed all over the country? Smile

(Irrespective of ones INTENT, the law is very clear!)

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
stretchl
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA, USA
42 Posts

Profile of stretchl
I purchased the Xpert several months ago. Ingenious idea. Unfortunately, it only worked a few times before it was time for a "refill". A few times, as in, say 6-8. I wrote Mr. Tobin, asking if I was handling it improperly, but got no reply. The Xpert now sits in my drawer and has not been out in months, as it appears I would have to buy refill after refill after refill. Is anyone else having similar trouble with the device? Thanks.
Charles "Stretch" Ledford

"Walking the wire is life. The rest is just waiting." - Karl Wallenda, just days before he fell to his death

http://StretchPhotography.com
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Stretchi;
I wonder if the post ever got through to Neil Tobin.
If it did, I am quite certain about that he would have replied promptly. Neil has a reputation for his great service.

I bought my Xpert about 6 mnths ago or so. Even though I haven't used it each and every day, it has been quite frequently.
I just recently had to order refills.

May I suggest that you study the instructions again, especially where it is adviced how to store the Xpert when not in use? You might find that useful.

Sven
Tiki
View Profile
Loyal user
Northwest Arkansas, USA
247 Posts

Profile of Tiki
Stretchl-

You can probably revive your expert by storing it properly. Go to Neil's site for an explanation or send me a PM. I don't want to post it publicly because Neil has been very careful to avoid any type of disclosure.

Cheers,

Tiki
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3046 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Hey Gang,

Just a quick note to let you know that a full 10 years after the release of the Xpert, I've finally completed filming an Xpert DVD.

I couldn't have done it myself (truth be told, I put it off for years), so huge thanks go to the helpful folks at Paper Crane Magic. If you've seen the high quality of their products, you already know how professional this production will be.

I have no idea how long the post-production and manufacturing process will take (everything worth waiting for takes time), but I was just too excited not to share this update with you! I'll keep you posted as I learn more.

Best,
Neil
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Neil, congratulations. Looking forward to it!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Xpert (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL