The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Act Consulting- Joanie Spina, Jeff McBride OR..? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Hi Smile

Need a small advice here....in my acts, I have all the world class props, music, costume..etc BUT I lacked something important!

Guess I am a late bloomer, even though I knew about this problem way back in 2000 but I just disregard it Smile My scoring sheets in International Magic Contest, the catagory areas on par with other performer...ONLY in this showmanship, presentation area in magic competition, I lose out.

Anyway I am still not too old; I need someone to consult on my acts professionally from beginning to end.

: 15mins Commercial silent act & 7 mins stage competition act, step by steps from staging, performance, choreography & showmanship.

E.G I will send the video of these acts to the person, they will consult EVERY single details of the above mentioned details, guiding EVERY move, when to smile, pose...hence I will follow 100% exactly the choreography…as the both acts are very short, hence should be not to difficult & not too long to master every single details.

Once this is fulfilling, hopefully this will be a world class act.

I have 2 people in mind to send the video to: Joanie Spina OR Jeff McBride ...but I am not too sure if the café member can advise who else can do this consulting & the best person for this job.

Cost is not a factor here.. as long as the person can consult a great act.

Thanks for the advice Smile
dove-boy
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1903 Posts

Profile of chmara
My feeling and experience has been that Jeff McBride is one who can develop an act of unique and powerful magic to world class in many genre's. Ask Rafael (of Belgium) who worked (and works) on his acts and props with Jeff and won the Golden Lion award.

I think Joanie is a great stage choreographer and has helped many -- but Jeff is a great taskmaster when it comes to theme development, timing and various magic AND other stage techniques that blend in to world recognition. His talent is well beyond his masks -- you might also check with Christian and Katalina who are world class mentalists and a duo act of straight magic. They had used several directors (even from NY) before they went to Jeff. And Christian is NOY easy to impress (he started magic after retiring from another career -- and has been on the road since -- now looking to buy his own theater so he can stop traveling sooooo much.

And -- even though I remain relatively unknown - Jeff is the one who inspired me to go full time -- and I have enjoy4ed every minute of it -- until I became ill and had to start selling props. Now I need to go back to hom with my mentalism ideas and see if he and Eugene can smooth me out and psych me up........to get my seance open down here in Arizona,
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7401 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I would also add Bob Fitch to the mix of this discussion. Bob has helped many of the top pros polish and refine their act. He has given me some very valuable advice on my own act.

I guess it boils down to what you want to do with your act. If you want to win Magic contests, Jeff is probably the way to go. Though I must admit there might be a backlash from so many people using Jeff for consultation. It was the same when a lot of guys went to Neil Foster. A lot of the acts started to look the same. That can work against you. It no fault of Jeff but simply a reality. We all have our strengths and tendencies.

I guess I have mixed emotions about this whole contest thing. It is great but an act is only as good as the next job. You will never make money working magic conventions.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Colin Uk
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Colin Uk
Hi dove-boy

Have you thought about getting both people to help you?

Colin
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Could somebody tell me, what's the cost for this type of consulting ? I know the price for a consulting by Joanie Spina, but what about Jeff McBride and Bob Fitch ?

Thanks.

Oliver.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7401 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
It is based on what you want them to do. Simply write them and ask what kind of services they could provide you.

I think the Bob is mainly do reviews by video now but does a few in person interviews.

Again, I would simply write and ask them.

Also the idea of having both work on the act is a good one. I have had at least 8 different people that have made some major contributions to my act. That is not counting all the other ideas guys have given me.

Remember, the bottom line is you will have to decide what to do and keep. Unless you want to learn magic by the numbers.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Thanks Richard,

Collin your advice isn't bad at all and Richard explaines in an excellent way why.

Oliver.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Having attended Jeff's Master Classes, He would be the FIRST CHOICE for me to act as a consultant. Call him and discuss your thoughts and needs. He has helped many students via the internet and in person.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
ChrisPilsworth
View Profile
New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
67 Posts

Profile of ChrisPilsworth
Bob Fitch would be a great choice to help you improve your acts. I've participated in Bob's camps on 4 different occasions and also hired him to direct a magic play that I produced.

Bob's strength lies in the fact that he will help you become a better performer not by dictating what you should do, but through helping you discover who you are and how best to present yourself. Problematic areas are identified and then solutions are created. He teaches a methodology so that you can use the techniques later on to help yourself improve. This approach ensures that you will not be a carbon copy of someone else.

Bob is a very caring and warm individual. His experience in theatre is unsurpassed and not many people can bring that to the mix. Working with Bob would be money well spent.

You may also consider taking his course which will happen in August this year. You would get the benefit of working on your act and also learning plenty about showmanship, stage presence and acting.

Best of luck in your pursuit.

Cheers,

Chris

http://www.borntoamaze.com
socalmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
267 Posts

Profile of socalmagic
Attend Bob Fitch's MagicCamp this summer. I believe it's $2,500 for a week including accommodations and meals. After I went, I hired him to direct my show. It took 3 days to fine tune a 90 minute show. Bob coached Jeff McBride.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
After a long thought and watchning Joanie's video tapes again : Here's the anwswer !

Get both of them. Joanie Spina for everything concerning corporal expression and dancing on stage during the act and Bob Fitch as the final director afterwards.

Like this you'll use each one for his specific experience.

What do you think ?

Oliver.
Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
Depending in your act I will highly consider Avner the Eccentric. I saw his lecture in Spain not to long ago and I was really impressed on how he manages everything on stage. His timing, control over silence and everthing on stage was superb. I know he conducts a couple of seminars through the year.
deputata
View Profile
New user
Bulgaria
34 Posts

Profile of deputata
Well,there is always Tony Clark.He offers this kind of consultation.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I know some people that have used Tony Clark in the past and were very pleased. One of them is a member of the Café and post from time to time. His name is Tony Dowell but I don't know his user name. Tony are you out there?
Bernie Balloons
View Profile
Elite user
N.Y.C.
480 Posts

Profile of Bernie Balloons
I would go with Jeff McBride He has to be one of the nicest people I ever met and he knows his stuff He could really put you on track
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Did you decide on someone? Please let us know how it goes.
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I believe that Peter White and Tony Spina do consulting.
-Matt
scintnl
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of scintnl
John Pyka also offers consulting
CMMAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
Myrtle Beach , S.C.
145 Posts

Profile of CMMAGIC
$3500 for McBride for 2 Days

Gary Darwin , Johnny Thompson : These are 2 guys whom know much about the ART and probably a lot less expensive .
- Carl Michael - www.CarlMichaelMagic.com
Frequent performer at top night clubs such as Mansion Miami , PURE Las Vegas , Marquee Vegas , and Veranda NYC . 2012 and 2013 Reader's Choice Magician of the Year. Currently headlining in my own stage show in Myrtle Beach . Follow on twitter , Instagram and ViNe @CMMAGIC
John Iacono
View Profile
New user
N. California
53 Posts

Profile of John Iacono
Hi Dove Boy
Have you ever taken acting lessons?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Act Consulting- Joanie Spina, Jeff McBride OR..? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL