The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Audience members in videos (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland, home of the TAXED
1145 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
I couldn't find another place to post this, so my apoligies if I missed it.

I have noticed quite a few of the same audience members in a variety of Magic Video's. Example being a guy that in Jay Sankey's "Best Of". The guy up front that really laughs a lot and loves Jay (who doesn't love him!)

I am pretty sure the same guy is on the L&L's Worlds Greatest "Card to Wallet". And I have seen the blond girl from JS bset of, in a few places as well..

I figure that you willsee the same people here and there that are girlfriends, wives etc. But this seemed weird.

I would love to make a living at watching magic for video!
I just thought it was interesting.

Oh. I just searched and realized that Jay's Best Of is done by L&L. I guess my observations aren't that weird after all. They must work for L & L I am guessing...

Mike
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
These are professional audience members and that's why the reaction can't be trusted on these videos. Some of the L&L audiences are better known that the performers!
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
I swear one of the ladies in the L&L vids was in Tin Cup.

OK, I looked it up and she's not but it sure does look like her.
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
1145 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
That's my new goal in life. I want to be a professional "Magic" audience member!

Just feed me and give me a corner of a room and my sleeping bag. That would be cool!

The blond girl in Sankey's Best Of is sitting up fron to the right (from Jay's POV). I swear I keep seeing her in various vids.

Actually, that does bother me that they're hired for this. That's pretty lame in itself, but at least hire diffrent people!

Mike
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
L&L uses its employees for audiences in the videos, why you see so many of the same faces.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
1145 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Yep, that makes sense from their perspective I guess. I don't like it though. I want to see a real audience. I know many DVD's have this, so I am going to start looking for those.

This is not a HUGE deal by any means in preventing one from learning. That is the true point of the DVD's anyways. To learn.
I just personally enjoy seeing real situations with Non-magic audiences.

Thanks for joining me in my boring complaint here...
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
I like some of the L&L chicks, especially the blondes, brunettes and red heads!!!

When my wife catches me watching my DVDs and suspects me of doing something naughty I just claim to be practicing my shuffling technique. Wacka wacka.
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3207 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Andi now that's funny. On most of these videos I truly believe that even a random lay-audience would have similiar reactions and therefore never believe Im mislead by the audience ractions.Honestly even if there was not an audience on some of these videos I'd be ok with it.
Nothing Personal-Strictly Business
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
No audience sometimes impairs the timing of the performer and I don't think a random lay audience reacts the same as an L&L audience. The reactions are over-the-top and artificial because they film the same trick more than one take to make a more perfect dvd and the same folks are hearing the same jokes and seeing the same trick more than once and pretending to be surprised.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Threads like these always befuddle me just a bit. When I made my DVD, everbody was griping about the "artificial" audiences for L&L, saying they were "over the top" "fake" "phoney" and "obnoxious and annoying." Fully 3/4's of the posters at that time said that, especially for the close-up stuff, they'd like to see a video with just 4-5 lay people around a table with the magician.

So I put out my DVD just that way. 4 people around a table. Two were a couple, but otherwise they didn't know each other before the shoot. (Sadly the shoot was at like 8 AM!)

Guess what?

I got comments like, "well, yeah they applauded and laughed, but they seemed really reserved. I would have liked to see more energy out of the audience," etc.

So you just can't win in this regard.

Personally, I have never purcahsed a magical intruction video to see how the studio audience reacted to the performer or his effects anyway.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
Perhaps you are right Scott
but this L and L audiences are annoying

there´s this guy.. john. a blonde with a moustache that they keep sitting in front
that is always yelling and applauding for the littlest thing
is like he was drunk and in love with the performer
some of the time is even funny because he reacts and applauds when the effect isn't over yet.. is just annoying

I rather see a video with real audiences like paul stockman dvd or andy nyman
you could actually see how the audiences reacted to their mentalism.
Stockman
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Stockman
Hi Guys,

In my new release "THE iIMPOSSIBLE ENVELOPE" we decided to use no audience members at all.

They are not always necessary or required to perform and explain a routine. In fact they can sometimes distract from the purpose of the DVD in the first instance.

Pretty girls are nice to look at and I agree that L&L have many of those. However if I want to look at girls there are many better outlets for that.

When you go see a lecture you watch the lecturer and not the other audience members.Lets face it you will never get a real world reception from other magicians and mentalists anyway.

The only real reaction will come from a lay audience, that's where I make my money and the only people that its important to please.

Paul
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3225 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-04-18 19:34, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
Threads like these always befuddle me just a bit. When I made my DVD, everbody was griping about the "artificial" audiences for L&L, saying they were "over the top" "fake" "phoney" and "obnoxious and annoying." Fully 3/4's of the posters at that time said that, especially for the close-up stuff, they'd like to see a video with just 4-5 lay people around a table with the magician.

So I put out my DVD just that way. 4 people around a table. Two were a couple, but otherwise they didn't know each other before the shoot. (Sadly the shoot was at like 8 AM!)

Guess what?

I got comments like, "well, yeah they applauded and laughed, but they seemed really reserved. I would have liked to see more energy out of the audience," etc.

So you just can't win in this regard.

Same critical reaction that Bob Sheets got in reviews of his "Bob Does Hospitality" DVDs. I don't think you magician/producers can really win in this aspect of the biz!

IMO magician consumers are a particularly stupid and petty lot. Always ready to consume the flavor of the moment, always ready to voice some nonsensical gripe about the least important aspect of any professional offering...

PS- On an unrelated note, that brunette -"Jenna" on the L&L videos was completely smoking hot...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
Nah..
what scott is saying is nonsense
why do you think it is common knowledge for magicians to say stuff like.. ¨dont expect them to react like L and L audiences¨ whose fault it is that? ours?
could you at least accept they are over reacting??
it is beyond obvious, even lay audiences can see that.. is like?.. are they clapping just because that guy produced a sponge ball from his pants?
there are times that the effect isn't over yet the audience is over reacting. like.. AWESOME he just dissapered a card.. that's it! lets clap!..
without waiting to see where the card it is supposed to appear. it is just sad
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3225 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I have no idea what point you are trying to make here, Alpha Alex. Sorry.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
Smile
I'm just saying the audience members on LandL over act
and I would rather see magicians perform with real audiences
that's it
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
471 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Like Scott said - you can't win.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3225 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-08-07 12:59, alpha alex wrote:
:)
I'm just saying the audience members on LandL over act
and I would rather see magicians perform with real audiences
that's it

ok, thanks for clarifying...
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
1145 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Wow,
This topic took off a bit...
I have decided that since I do video editing, I am going to edit out the blonde/mustach dood, and duplicate 10 of the blonde girl for the audience! Now that's magic my friends.

Or, actually, I would love to invite Mr. Laughy Laugh to any show I put on. That will make me feel all good inside. Like a sponge ball coming out of my hand HAHAHAHAHAHA!
BTW: I am sure he is a great guy. Not trying to make fun of him.

No, I don't buy DVDs to see the audience by any means!!
BUT, when the audience is over-reacting, it DOES bug me!

I love Oz Pearlman's "Born To Perform" DVD. He's on the streets. You see the actual reactions. Even one guy caught him during his ACR, but didn't ruin it all. And best of all, THEY didn't EDIT IT OUT! I love that! That is REAL WORLD. I enjoy seeing that for the "demo" so to speak. And then back in the studio for the "lesson".

Penguin just released (well I just got it free), their "Greatest Beginner DVD". NOTHING earth shattering at all. But Oz demos the effects on a blond (sure are a lot of blondes in magic...), and then he teaches HER how to do the effect!!
I loved this approach!

I have rambled on...

By all means, to each their own.

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Audience members in videos (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL