The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Balance of Magic and Story (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2017, funsway wrote:
I am reviewing/revising some of my thinking on this "balance."

For any audience today a majority may never have seen a good LIVE magic performer or heard a good LIVE storyteller.
Even though TV has mangled the word "live" to mean "happening now, sorta" as opposed to "recorded earlier, I use the term to me "nothing between you and the performer but air."

The impact of impressions on an audience when performing live is much more sweeping than when viewed through the equivalent of a toilet paper tube.
A combination of good story and good magic may be essential to having any affect on an audience - if you desire something more than just fleeting entertainment in competition with cellphones.

This may be your only opportunity to provide a magical experience for a spectator. Give it everything you have.

Thanks Funsway! This is a good thread to keep alive and revisit every now and then.
The ever present glow of the TV tube and cellphone screen has society viewing events through augmented reality; the human brain can become addicted to HYPER-processing.
This is in direct competition to actual LIVE events that can not happen at the same speed and multiple camera views of edited video.
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
I think a great thing with storytelling magic is that it can have more props. Like pictures and old boxes and all sorts of items that might fit with or embellish the story, and that now adds the other senses that TV and electronics can not engage. If you have something old that someone gets to touch or use it can connect with them, it might smell old also. These are things that help us, it helps drive story and authenticity.
We have more than just the 5 senses.
Pressure
Itch
Temperature
Pain
Thirst
Hunger
Direction
Time
Muscle tension

Because we all have a remembrance of what pain,thirst or hunger might feel like a good story can make a spectator feel that again(on their terms). The absence of the constant screen flicker from TV and Cellphone actually allows the sense of sight to dull and can now make us aware of other senses. Which good books do, from the absence of sight and sound.
Penduluminary
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Penduluminary
This thread is a joy to read and educational.

Does anyone have any signposts to storytelling magic performers or videos of performers doing great storytelling magic?

I recently came across a video of Christian Cagigal performing at the The Magic Castle. I was blown away by the presentation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Balance of Magic and Story (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL