The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Instant puppet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
Hm.
I still favor the pocket handkerchief thing.
Tell ya why:

The entire bit, as I see it, revolves around ventriloquism and puppetry itself.
You've gotten a boa and you're trying to figure out what to do with it.
You build the puppet, then, as you go...using the pocket handkerchief and the peepers (A little harder to explain those being in your pocket...but if you move quickly, wotthehell).
THEN you have a conversation with the creature you've built. He (or she) is not certain what he is.
THAT could be where the bunny ears come in handy. Now they are costuming and make more sense as he searches for his identity.
Maybe a number of other things, too.
Maybe a bit of fun fur for a wig or some eyebrows or a forked tongue ("Am I a snake?" "I dunno. Try this tongue." "Okay." "How's that?" "Ngmm grf mfl." Take out the tongue. "Not so good. Can't talk." Might even be able to add a rattle for a rattlesnake). Maybe some bits made up of whatever is offered up by your audience. A nice chance to improvise and adlib.
Maybe, finally, you put some antennae on him and he becomes a caterpillar...and then maybe he rolls up...goes to sleep...("Hello? Are you awake? Hello?") and then the boa opens up and a butterfly emerges.
End of bit.

Gosh...I typed that quickly.
Whaddya think?
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
Looks like I'm on the hunt for an oven mitt.
I might try some of the other items. I also have a yellow ostrich feather!

I'm going through my old magic boxes tomorrow finding stuff that really should be thrown away...
I'm bound to find something usefull.
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Now there's a great idea. I like the oven mit thought!

Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
pixsmith
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of pixsmith
OK, I lied. What you want is a silicone pot holder.

Here is one from Ace Hardware -- a similar store where you are ought to have something like it. The brand name in the states is Orka.

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/ork......l?ref=42

Good luck

Pix
pixsmith
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of pixsmith
Another thought -- the late Roger Mara really did a lot with the idea of using only hands and eyes. He was a very talented puppeteer from California. His creativity is missed.
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
I just got the perfect pot holder, its orange, a perfect beak. I'll put up pictures soon.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I would suggest an envelope, perhaps one that contained a troublesome invoice, or some sweepstakes solicitation. You could use a variation on "Beaknik" located here:

http://www.101handpuppets.com/instant-pu......ons.html

Quote:
6.BEAKNIK THE ENVELOPE BIRD HAND PUPPET
You need an envelope and crayons. Put your hand inside the envelope, B, stretching your fingers into the upper corner and your thumb into the lower. With your other hand press in the front edge of the envelope. Pull it away quickly or it will be nipped, for by opening and closing the hand inside the envelope, you make Beaknik's beak open and shut. Add an eye, fierce or friendly, according to taste.

This site is actually the text from Richard Cummings's "101 Hand Puppets" and is a wonderful resource. I found this book in a public library when I was a child and, together with the Beaton marionettes book, it was a great favorite of mine.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Things I have used so far in my summer library programs (09) include..
1.The soft "case" for my ukulele
2. Plastic C/D case
3. Duct Tape over hand
4. Mini trash can (actually I turned it upside down) It has a lever to open the "lid" that becomes the "mouth".
5. Hand only
6. Hand and googly eyes
7. Sock that has "toes"
8. Book
9. One of those small gloves that "fit all".
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
puppeterry
View Profile
Regular user
Sanger, CA
114 Posts

Profile of puppeterry
The Cummings book was one of my favorite sources for ideas when I started making puppets in the 70's. It's nice to see it available online.
TV Mc Arthur
The Librician
Fresno (CA) County Public Library
"They don't get better.....just faster."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Instant puppet (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL