The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Periods & styles of Magic » » Looking for a character (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magictvlv1
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of magictvlv1
I am trying to get back into magic and I am struggling with motivation and character. I don't want to be a magician in a tux. I don't want anything on my stage to look like it came from a magic shop. I have a southern accent, but frankly don't want to surround myself with country music... Although I did at one point consider a cowboy routine to the Lemonheads "My Big gay Heart."

My main interests are stage manipulation with cards, coins and balls. I've been doing my ball routine for 28 years... it is unique. Although I love illusions. I have a circus background, but frankly hate clowns... sorry clowns.

I know that in order to really grab an audience you have to show them something they have never seen before.

I don't know what direction I should walk.
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Southern accent? I'd say a carnival pitchman or traveling con-man character maybe a place to start. Look at Ryan O'Neil's character in Paper Moon. A southern medicine show operator might offer some possibilities as a pattern to build on.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
The 9 Questions from Respect of Acting by Uta Hagen. This is from the world of acting, but answer these and you are well on your way to discovering/creating your stage persona.

1. Who am I?
2. What is the time?
3. Where am I?
4. What surrounds me?
5. What are my relationships?
6. What are the given circumstances?
7. What do I want? *
8. What is in my way? *
9. What do I do to get what I want? *

* Power questions
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Add cigars to your routine and maybe a southern politician like Bill Clinton. But seriously, the questions above should be answered.

A lot depends on who you really are, what's inside of you. Not being a very good actor I know that for me character is an exaggeration of my true self. I looked back on my life, wrote a bio and picked elements from that to work with. Are you serious, a joker, comically inclined, etc.? Could you inclined to be a scholar or rogue?

Building a character around props is probably not the best method. Finding effects and props that fit a preconceived character may be better.

Good luck,
magictvlv1
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of magictvlv1
Thanks,

Actually I am in graduate school right now, so scholar may be an apt description. I don't think I fit any recognizable stereotype which may be a good thing. I am kinda goofy.
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
A fun trick I learned some time ago, when working on a character, pick up some job applications and fill them out in character. (Don't hand them in!) It helps set who you are.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2009-04-24 10:50, Pokie-Poke wrote:
A fun trick I lernd some time ago, when working on a character, pick up some job aps and fill them out in character. (don't hand them in!) it helps set who you are.

Very interesting idea!!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi magictvlv1,

Add to the above suggestions a search of your childhood. What characters or types of characters did you emulate from books, movies, or TV when you were a child? What characters did you dress for Halloween? Etc.

Regards, Steve
magictvlv1
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of magictvlv1
Still dressing for halloween, this past year I was Peter Pan.
mindguru
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of mindguru
Go for a character that suits your personality.

Posted: May 20, 2010 3:30pm
Also make sure your clothes are comfortable as well as suitable.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
If you could be anyone else but you, anyone, who would you be?

Here's a chance to live that dream!

Really... Smile

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Look at Jeff McBride, he is a marshall arts, mime, zen, type of person. He does not were a tux and yet he does magic and illusions.

Look at Harry Anderson, he says he was a con man, he went on Letterman years ago and gave the audience and Dave so much bull, yet you believed him.

Look at Mak King, I don't know what his character is, maybe naive and goofy.

What does all these characters have in common, they dress the part, act the part and believe the part, they have a back story as well.

All are not who you see in real life, all except maybe Jeff McBride lives his role 24/7.

Sorry, I just do not agree that in order to grab an audience you need to show them something they have not seen before. Guess what, people age and new audiences are being born every day. Think also that once a group has seen a trick it is old stuff is also false. People like to see good magic again and again, if it really interested them, that is why all the shows on television are repeated so much. People are watching.

You make a trick unique and new with your personality and routine.

You say you worked in the Circus, so be a ring master or a lion tamer or an acrobate. Maybe there was a person you were really interested in, did you have any people that you really were drawn to in your experiences?

Therefore, you patter, jokes and mannerisms would relate to that character. It is also called acting the role. You may be uncomfortable telling people you are one kind of person when you are not. Then you should just be yourself. But be yourself in a good way with manners and cleanliness. Or if a person is a bully and goes around getting in fights, then of couse this is not a good side of your pesonality you should show people, they will be scared of you and not be drawn to you. Dressing well only sends good messages to an audience as well.

I find people with Southern accents in their voices are usually very interesting to listen to, this is more of an asset then a liability in the real world.

I hope you have found someting to think about.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2010-08-27 06:08, wmhegbli wrote:
Look at Jeff McBride, he is a marshall arts, mime, zen, type of person. He does not were a tux and yet he does magic and illusions.

Look at Harry Anderson, he says he was a con man, he went on Letterman years ago and gave the audience and Dave so much bull, yet you believed him.

Look at Mak King, I don't know what his character is, maybe naive and goofy.

What does all these characters have in common, they dress the part, act the part and believe the part, they have a back story as well.

All are not who you see in real life, all except maybe Jeff McBride lives his role 24/7.

Sorry, I just do not agree that in order to grab an audience you need to show them something they have not seen before. Guess what, people age and new audiences are being born every day. Think also that once a group has seen a trick it is old stuff is also false. People like to see good magic again and again, if it really interested them, that is why all the shows on television are repeated so much. People are watching.

You make a trick unique and new with your personality and routine.

You say you worked in the Circus, so be a ring master or a lion tamer or an acrobate. Maybe there was a person you were really interested in, did you have any people that you really were drawn to in your experiences?

Therefore, you patter, jokes and mannerisms would relate to that character. It is also called acting the role. You may be uncomfortable telling people you are one kind of person when you are not. Then you should just be yourself. But be yourself in a good way with manners and cleanliness. Or if a person is a bully and goes around getting in fights, then of couse this is not a good side of your pesonality you should show people, they will be scared of you and not be drawn to you. Dressing well only sends good messages to an audience as well.

I find people with Southern accents in their voices are usually very interesting to listen to, this is more of an asset then a liability in the real world.

I hope you have found someting to think about.

wmhegbli-

Very informative advice-thanks for sharing-appreciated

Brent
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
At many festivals & outdoor events Im a con man card sharp come street Hustler
but with lots of fun & audience Interaction etc.........

In that particular enviornment of outdoor events it works well!

Indoor & theatre corporate shows which we do a lot of I dress different & my act
is suited for that type of audience...

Cheers
darshwood
View Profile
New user
Louisville, KY area
50 Posts

Profile of darshwood
Best advice I've ever been given and happily pass along now... your character should be an extension of your own personality. Just be an exaggerated form of who you are.
Cacoal
View Profile
New user
Lewiston NY
70 Posts

Profile of Cacoal
Garrett Thomas does a lecture called Classified. The focus of the lecture and notes is essentially Charector development. I'd don't know if he is marketing them through any one in particular but I did see that he has a few left from the last tour. If any one is interested let me know. I think they where 10 or 15 dollars. Send me a PM.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Periods & styles of Magic » » Looking for a character (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL