The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » My temperamental son and the Magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Well I wasn't really sure where to share this and finally decided upon here as it happened at an IBM meeting. With the emotions inserted to represent the reaction of the crowd.

Yesterday I took my 15 year old son, Carl, to the local IBM meeting here in Dallas to see some magic and meet the folks who run the local SYM. I'm not well known at the IBM here, as I have only attended a couple of meetings. Now Carl is a great kid but he has a disorder called HAD. It's similar to the more popular ADD but to the next degree. It's like ADD with Turrets Syndrome. It really only effects him when he gets very nervous, which isn't that often. I explained this to the IBM President as I introduced my son to him just so he might be aware if something should happen.

Well the night drew on and after some great performances, a dapper young magician sauntered onto the stage. He stated that he had a children’s effect he wanted to show everyone and required a volunteer. As Carl was the only child in attendance he reluctantly made his way to the stage.

"Hello son, what's your name," the magi inquired.

When Carls mumbled response went past the magician I knew this wasn't going to be good. Carl looked out to where I was sitting and I gave him an encouraging nod, but it didn't appear to help. The magi finally got Carl to speak loudly enough to make out his name. "Everybody meet Carl, let's give him a big hand."

Smile

The applause seemed to calm Carl down as he enjoys being the center of attention.

Well, the dapper gentlemen turns from Carl, takes this wand out of his case and says something about his grandmother having graced him with it before her death (it looked like a break-away-wand and well…). So he hands this thing to Carl and turns back to his magic case. I'm still not quite sure what Carl was thinking at that moment, but with the wand firmly gripped in both hands, he cracked it over his knee. The room went silent and everyone looked at me like I’d brought the spawn of Satan in. Smile Smile
One guy - Smile

I think one of the magician’s wives almost slapped me. Dapper Boy went stiff as he heard the loud <SNAP>, managing to slowly spin on his heel, his face going pure white. I thought he was going to scream, but he just took the two pieces, dropped them in his case and withdrew yet another wand.

"Carl. This wand was given to me by my grandfather. Smile Smile Smile Please, please be very... very careful with this one. Please." Those who weren't still mortified had given to fits of laughter here. But all I could think was, man this guy is nuts. I wouldn’t let my kid have another wand after that, but what could I do. So, he turns to his case yet again and I cringe as Carl raises this wand high over his knee.

"Carl, don't you..." I'm sure my words went unnoticed as all I hear was <SNAP>! Smile

Despite the roar of laughter the audience gave at the production of the second wand, they trained their evil eyes on me yet again. I knew I was in for it. At least my son had the good presence to hide the broken wand behind his back and then toss it behind the magician when he turned around. The guy was so upset over his wand “vanishing” that he abandoned the trick he was doing (coloring book I think).

Well, here’s where it went from bad to worse. The magi, almost seething with anger and playing the consummate professional decides to do a card trick. As he produces the deck of cards Carl claims, "I've already seen this one." Smile

The magician was shocked yet again as he didn't even mention the effect. "I'm sorry, what did you say Carl?"

"I've seen this one it's not very good."
Smile

"I didn't even tell you what the effect is yet."

"Well, I've seen it."

Let me tell you, the back of my head was burning and I was shrinking in my seat. After more arguing the magi finally got my son to pick a card, sign it and return it to the deck (or so I thought). Well, the flustered magi turns around and appears to be searching for the signed card but he can't find it. He’s going pale looking for it. Meantime, behind the magi's back, my son pulls the signed card out of his own pocket and starts showing it to the audience.

:dancing:

In spite of themselves, they roared with laughter. The magi turns around, sees the card and completely looses it. He grabs the card, throws the deck to the ground and wraps his hands around Carl’s neck. I was so stunned, I couldn’t move. He hoists him into the air, shakes him a few times (my son’s legs are flailing everywhere) and throws him to the ground. In a fit of rage, he kicks him and just then realizes what he’s done. He looks out at the audience like a deer caught in headlights. Smile Smile Smile

We all just stared at him in stunned silence. He moves back to his case, composes himself and says (and I’ll never forget this as long as I live), “Can I have ANOTHER volunteer?”
Smile

March madness. Gotta love it.
Yakworld.
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
I wish I could have been there... do you reckon you could rig something like that up, so a stooge comes up and does exactly what your son did, coz reading that was hilarious. I'm interested, have you ever been back?

Saxon
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
A stooge? Hmmmmmmmmm. Smile

You mean you actually want to recreate this nightmare? Smile

And this was two days ago, I don't know if we'll be back.

Incidentally, of the twenty or so folks that were in attendance there were 3 Cafe members, myself, Jeb Sherrill and Paul Taby.
Yakworld.
MatthewBlackwell
View Profile
Regular user
England
140 Posts

Profile of MatthewBlackwell
He *kicked* a volunteer?

Geez...
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
He didn't kick him all that hard. And it saved me the trouble of kicking him when I got him home. Smile
Yakworld.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Smile I love kids Smile
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Want one? He's potty trained.
Yakworld.
Zodiac
View Profile
New user
WA
27 Posts

Profile of Zodiac
I used to have an adult friend like that untreated, and kicking them's the least you can do when they act up (and of course I'm talking unprofesionally.) Although he probably should of thrown in the towel after the first wand and excused your son.
What's on your mind?
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
OH MY!!! Smile Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
I can relate. I've got two teenage sons, one is ADD and the other Autistic. Matthew, my autistic son, has given me, and some of my magician friends, some interesting times on stage.

This performer should have thanked him after the first incident and helped him offstage to a round of applause. He has no one to blame but himself and it's unconscionable that he "lost it". He should give up performing for kids in my opinion.

It reminds me of a kid's magician who closed with a Super X Suspenstion. He brought up a little girl and placed her on it. She started getting scared. He calmed her, but she soon got scared again. Beep! Time to get another volunteer and nicely excuse the kid. He went forward. Next thing you know she's crying. Obviously disgusted, he helps her down and stomps off stage.

It's unfortunate it happened at a gathering of magicians, who are usually much less forgiving than laypeople. At our magic gatherings, everyone knows about Matthew and they call him up at their own peril. I never scold Matthew for his actions on stage, although we have a long discussion about appropriate behavior. He'll always have the problem, but he has improved.

One of the hallmarks of the autistic is the lack of social graces. One time a good magician friend of mine called Matthew up to assist in the Cut and Restored Rope. Matthew had a terrible and audible gas problem that night. You can imagine from there...

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Quote:
On 2002-03-22 16:44, yakandjak wrote:
Want one? He's potty trained.

No thanks, I had a big lunch today Smile

Smile
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Well after Mike's post I felt a confession was in order.

The March IBM meeting was themed March Madness, crazy and outrageous magic. The crazed magician was Cafe member Jeb Sherrill. My "son" was Jebs little brother and I was just the lesser stooge. I made up the HAD thing in attempt to recreate Jeb's effect here for the Cafe in writing.

The whole effect was brilliant as about half the crowd was mortified while half was roaring with laughter. Even as we left the meeting some folks were still uncertain as to what had happened. And those who thought the whole thing a bit of comedy couldn't figure out how Carl pulled that card from his pocket.

It was a shocking, amazing piece of comedy magic from the sometimes twisted mind of Jeb Sherrill. Smile Smile

Bravo Jeb!
Yakworld.
MatthewBlackwell
View Profile
Regular user
England
140 Posts

Profile of MatthewBlackwell
I wondered why he 'happened to have' two wands...
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
Quote:
The crazed magician was Cafe member Jeb Sherrill. My "son" was Jebs little brother and I was just the lesser stooge. I made up the HAD thing in an attempt to recreate Jeb's effect here for the Cafe in writing.

You got me. Bravo! Smile

But I have seen some real performances that weren't that far from that.

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4291 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
And here I was, working on staging it for the next local magic club meeting, when you tell us it's someone else's _trick_.

Darn!
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
magicmondo
View Profile
New user
Dallas, TX (English by birth)
28 Posts

Profile of magicmondo
I was fortunate enough to be there to witness this great performance. It was hilarious! Well done to Carl. A nice piece of original presentation that had the audience aghast!!!
Experience the Magic of Mondo

Visit me at www.magicmondo.com

"If there was no such thing as magic, I would look pretty foolish standing up here"
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Another fantastic one liner to come out of this:

Magicmondo followed up Jebs routine with a great bit of card-play. He asked for a volunteer and immediately followed up his request by pointing at Carl and stating firmly, "Not you." Smile Smile
Yakworld.
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
And then, when a small girl from the very back was asked to come up, and seemed hesitant, someone shouted "Well, she saw what happened to the last one". I about died laughing myself. Smile Smile Smile Smile

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Very funny. As I first read it, I was wondering how Yak could have a child that age.
He who laughs, lasts.
JBmagic
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
110 Posts

Profile of JBmagic
Bravo Jeb! Bravo!

That was a really great story!
***.... I wish I had seen that live!
Jay Buchanan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » My temperamental son and the Magician (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL