The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » what goes in doves cage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1037 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
I bought a cockatiel cage kit and wanted to know if I should place the items that came with the kit in the cage with the doves I am getting?

Here is what I have:
cuttlebone,
spray millet,
sand paper for the bottom of the cage,
and is it better to use plastic perches or wood?

My cage is 16 inches by 22 inches and I have 2 doves that will be here in 5 days. They're 8 weeks old. It seems good but is this cage too small?

Also what are some other store bought treats that doves like to play with and nibble on...

thanks,
dj
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
DJ, all of the items you listed are good for your doves. Spray millet is an excellent treat. My doves go crazy for it and I always keep a branch of it in their cages. The size of the cage you have will be fine for just 2 birds. I always use wood perches. If you have two perches, try to make them different diameters so the birds can stretch their feet once in awhile. I don't use store treats so much. I give them hard boiled eggs, peas, small pieces of apple and lettuce. Not iceberg but leaf. That should be plenty for your newbies.
Where the magic begins
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1037 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Thanks again, Dave. You're great....

I called a pet shop and they said that the cage is too small, again it's 16 inches by 22 inches.

Are you sure this is not too small for them because I do not want depressed doves. I want them to feel happy always....

If you're sure, I will trust your judgement on size. Thanks Dave
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
My cages are 22" long, by 14" deep by 16" tall and they are just fine. I'm not sure which dimensions you are listing here.
Where the magic begins
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1037 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
It is a round cage. From top to bottom it is 22 inches long and from one side to the other (width) it is 16 inches long....

Thanks
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
That does make a difference. You may find the birds are cramped. You don't want them to sit over each other for obvious reasons. By the time you get a seed container, grit container (don't forget that, it's an absolute must), water dish, treats, etc., there's not much room for the birds. You'd best get one closer to the dimensions I gave you.
Where the magic begins
Fast Eddie P.
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
322 Posts

Profile of Fast Eddie P.
DJ,

I've had my 2 doves for almost two years. I just went and measured my cage. It is round with a 17 inch diameter and is 23 inches tall. My doves have been pretty comfortable, although I always wanted a bigger cage. I'm building a house on a sizeable piece of land and hope to one day build an aviary. Just my 2 cents. Good luck. Smile
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
In a large aviary, is it ever an issue with being able to catch the doves when you inbreed them?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Zack, I'm not sure what you mean by
"catching" the doves. I get this silly picture of you running through the aviary trying to catch a bird. You should wait until they are sitting on a perch, then approach them. Let them step up on your finger or pick them up gently. Inbreeding doesn't have anything to do with that. You need to be careful with inbreeding though. Deformity can occur when you inbreed. I've only had one such situation but I've heard horror stories from other magicians.
Where the magic begins
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
457 Posts

Profile of Kingry
Look up sugar glider cage on Ebay. I bought one last month from a guy by the handle of
"Angula." It's the nicest cage I have ever owned. My six workers are happy as clams. They have never had room to fly about in their cage before. I received it in about a week. At $125.00 it was a steal.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1037 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
I just got a new cage and it is 22 inches long, 16 inches wide, and 14 inches tall..

It seems to me that the cage could be taller, the birds can fly but when they do, (to get from one perch to another) their wings are contacting the roof of the cage...

I really hope I don't have to buy another cage but does it need to be taller for the birds to fly back and forth freely without contact with the roof of the cage,

thanks in advance
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
DJ, 14" isn't very much room. You could try to lower the perches a little to give them a little more room. With a 22" cage, the doves really aren't flying from perch to perch but are more like hopping or jumping. Do your perches run the 22" length or do you have them across the 16"?
Where the magic begins
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1037 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
I have 2 perches, one thick and one skinny going the 16 inch length.

What is the height of your cages?.

Wow, 2 brand new cages and I still need a new one....

Thanks again dave
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
The way you have your perches is best. It gives the birds the longer length of the cage to move around. Try to put them lower in the cage if you can. That will give them more "head" room. As I told you earlier, my cages are 22" long, 14" deep and 16" high and that's fine. I also have a large aviary that's 8 feet long, 6 feet wide and 10 feet high. That's their exercise room where they can fly to a window for some sunlight, take a bath once a week and just have a good time, but you don't need that. It's just something I do.
Where the magic begins
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1037 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
So my cage is 2 inches shorter then yours,

hahah, do you suggest I buy a third cage, Dave?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
That's your choice. If you can lower the perches 2" inches good. If not and you think the birds are cramped, then you should get a new cage. It doesn't hurt to have an extra cage just in case your birds start to fight or one of them gets sick. You'd need to separate them.
Where the magic begins
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1037 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Well, I will have to wait until next school year for a new cage.

I can't lower the perches anymore, they're at the lowest point possible.

Do you think they're alright for 3 months? I couldn't return the first cage because I got rid of the box..

Will they be ok?

thanks
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
DJ: Since you're only talking about a 2" difference, they'll be fine. As long as they have room to stretch their wings a little. When you practice with them, just let them fly a little for exercise.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » what goes in doves cage (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL