The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Make rubberbands "stay in shape"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
I'm interested in making my rubberbands remain in a certain shape, is there any way to accomplish that? I was thinking about heating the band up somehow while having it in a certain shape, but I don't know how the result would be.

Any advice?
http://www.youtube.com/jonashaglund < Card flourishes and some other stuff.
Pablo_Amira
View Profile
Special user
Temuco, Chile
682 Posts

Profile of Pablo_Amira
Wow
do you mean like a star???
-------------------------------------------
Asombro...lo más elevado a que puede llegar el hombre

Johann Wolfgang Goethe
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
Yup, as well as some card-shapes. I know stargazer is out there, but I don't feel like paying $20 for a couple of those. I'd like to have uncolored bands star-shaped as well.
http://www.youtube.com/jonashaglund < Card flourishes and some other stuff.
Outbreak Monkey
View Profile
New user
Brisbane, Australia
59 Posts

Profile of Outbreak Monkey
I haven't tried shaping rubber bands, but while heating some to try to melt them together (which incidentally, doesn't work all that well)..
- I found that _some_ bands actually shrunk when heated... It seemed to be pretty hard to work out which ones would shrink, and which ones would just go sticky...

Though, with some experimentation you might be able to capitalise on this by carefully heating one side at a time in order to 'contract' a bend it to it? Just a thought!

I have thousands of bands strewn all around the house, so I might try some experiments with some...

Cheers,
Monkey
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I remember this was discussed about a year or so ago. And if my mind serves me correctly, I don't think there was a way to do this at home. I do remember "heat" was part of the topic.

There is a website (maybe someone remembers) where you can purchase different shapes and colors of bands, and not just the star shapes. But I believe they were more animal shapes and I doubt if any are the shape of cards.
Outbreak Monkey
View Profile
New user
Brisbane, Australia
59 Posts

Profile of Outbreak Monkey
Tbaer:
I've been googling - and yeah looks like once it's set, you need to stick plenty of additives, temperature and pressure back in to it to get it to take on a new shape. Might not be feasible - definitely wouldn't save money.

I wonder if Silicon set in a mold is an option?
You could then colour it how you want and set them any way you wanted..

I've been searching around - you can get RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanization - ie, they set at room temperature) silicons that set within a few hours, and can stretch up to 700%.. Not sure how sticky or durable they'd be for rubber band magic, don't know if they're non-toxic either (I'd assume so but use at own risk! Smile )...
.. They might also look 'dodgy' compared to other rubber bands.

I think the other problem with making RTV Silicon molds of shapes, would be that you have to make the mold - You'd want it to have very thin channels and square edges. It'd also have to have a consistent smooth finish, again - I doubt it'd save money, but it could make for some really interesting effects?

Model making shops and hobby shops seem to sell the stuff incase anyone is going to give it a go..

Monkey
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Make rubberbands "stay in shape"? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL