The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Sponge balls? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
How many is too many to carry?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
If I'm strolling I carry 2.
Either 2-inch supersoft or 1.5-inch soft
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
497 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
Depends on your conditions and routine. If you use Eugene Burger's routine, he uses somewhere around 27 sponge balls. But it isn't a routine that is tailor made for strolling or restaurant. The minimum is two. Standard routines use two or three plus some kind of kicker. I haven't heard of any routines that use more than Burger's routine, but I probably just haven't seen them yet.

Bill
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
27 it is.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Is that per poket?
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
I carry ten for strolling, I'm weird that way.
Eddie Ivan Torres
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Eddie - I'll try that.
Colonel Clark
View Profile
Regular user
Mesa, AZ
127 Posts

Profile of Colonel Clark
Four 1.5 inch balls, plus a super soft four inch as a final load. If working with young children, I also carry clown noses to give away.
ray raymond
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of ray raymond
2 two inch balls and 1 4 inch
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
When I do perform sponge balls, I carry 16 and miscall them as 22. Nobody ever counts them, but I get a kick out of getting away with it. It's great to hear spectators recounting what just happened and hearing them say, "And I opened my hand, and I had 22 balls!" Cracks me up every time.

Lou Serrano
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Lou,

Aha! I saw your demo video and noticed the sponge thing and thought to myself, "Wow, 22 is a lot to get away with for that size". That explains that. Nice thinking on that.
Eddie Ivan Torres
JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
I carry 5 (3 red, 2 black), however, for my standard routine, I only use 4(2 red, 2 black). The reason I have five is I tell them my 10 Count "routine"(which isn't really a 10 Count) is done with my 3 red balls, then I "demonstrate" with my black balls. However, if I'm just going out or whatever and not planning on doing any tricks, I take 3 balls (2 of one color, 1 of the other), just in case a random reason to perform comes up. Anyway, that's just what I do, but figure out what works best for you.
"Magic should always have a purpose. [...] Find your purpose for performing. Only then will you be able to find the right trick!" -- Jay Noblezada
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
4 red 2 inch spongeballs. 2 in each pocket kept tucked high in the front pockets. I wear a tux shirt and vest...I tuck the ding dong in my back under my vest...can't go wrong
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I just started doing Eugene's routine this week. I've NEVER liked sponge balls and this is the only routine that ever impressed me. I use 20 in inch balls and call them 25. All in my right front pants pocket. Actually, the only other routine that I love is by Marc Desouza. He carries them in a little briefcase that is used for business cards, and then produces a huge ball bearing that can't fit in there. A mini version of bowling ball from briefcase. Then hands one to spectator and one for himself. His vanishes and appears in her hand. That's it. I love it because it's so short.
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Pepka,

I wanted to show you my sponge ending at WMS but never got a chance to do so. It's a variation on Eugene's routine but with a massive amount of multicolored balls as an ending. It's a much better visual, I think.
Eddie Ivan Torres
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
For strolling, I carry 4 - 1 1/2" super softs. For standup, I carry 13. The standup routine is based on the Dick Stoner routine, but I found that I could do the routine the smoothest with the number of balls that I use right now. Dick used over 20.
Gweedo
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Gweedo
I use 3 and the big cube ready to use.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2009-06-12 08:14, Eddie Torres wrote:
Pepka,

I wanted to show you my sponge ending at WMS but never got a chance to do so. It's a variation on Eugene's routine but with a massive amount of multicolored balls as an ending. It's a much better visual, I think.

That's a great idea for mult-colored spongeballs. Any demo I've seen with multi-colored balls never seems like a color change. it always seems like "extra ball" to me. Here it doesn't matter.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Great idea Eddie!
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Thanks guys! It's a good almost cups and balls caliber finale with a size and color variation. The only problem I had at first was getting it in the hands without flashing extra colors, but that's not a problem now. I developed a rather straight forward, simple way to never flash such things.
Eddie Ivan Torres
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Sponge balls? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL