The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Where do magicians get their lines? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
M.Frymus
View Profile
Loyal user
Oakville, Ontario, Canada!
293 Posts

Profile of M.Frymus
I was wondering about magicians using comedy in their shows, whether it is the whole show in comedy or having a line or two.

Well, where do they come up with these ideas for these jokes?
Do they write them all themselves or do they have people to do it for them?
MICHAEL FRYMUS
Director of Photography

Filmming worldwide

Email: dop-michaelfrymus@live.com
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Its all about who you are as a performer. Sounds simple I know, let me explain.
About 30% of my funny comes from my script, which alone would not make my show comedic. The rest of my comedy comes from thinking on my feet during the show and when opportunity presents itself for a joke or a line knowing when and how to take that opportunity and spin it.

Some magicians write lines and puns into their routine to enhance the comedic value and some even hire comedy writers to add the funny bits into their routine. The main thing is if you yourself are not funny then it is harder for you to be funny as a magician.

I am not saying that a regular everyday Joe who is not funny in a normal setting with friends can’t be a funny performer once on stage, I am not saying this at all. I know a lot of performers that once in their caricature are very funny and it’s their persona that allows them to step outside their shell to be funny. Many of these types of performers will have to recite their script word for word to get the business going with the crowed.

For this type of comedy magician when they have someone on stage and they do something that just screams comedy come back or running gag, they miss this opportunity and just keep on with the script. Does this make them less of a performer NO, but again they will be scripting their show closer to a 100% mark then 30% as in my case.

So as you can see it will all depend on the performer but to answer your questions?
YES YES and Yes and where do they come up with these ideas, for myself I read a lot in the news and current events and try and find ways to mold that into my routine. Also if something happens or I say something that gets a huge laugh I will write it down after the show and try and rework my script to fit that bit in where needed. My method requires doing a lot of different shows with different audience and finding what works best. I will sometimes run bits of business by people just to see their reaction without the magic.
Well that’s how I do it anyways.
Let’s see what others have to say.

--Floyd
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Most of my comedy comes from a continuing self revelation and "every man" character.

Also stuff comes from topical events (age, and situational related i.e. specific company)

Familiarity is a great element in getting both laughter and the audience to come together as one.

On my re reading shelf...Handbook of Physical Comedy...
as my body and props are as much a part of the schtick as my words...

Side question...does comedy start at the knees, feet, face, word, silence or ..or ..or...or..????

Caution...comedy doesn't come from short white lines..though many comedians including the more family friendly Bill Cosby has great bits about their use.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
I get mine from Lines "R" Us.
:bwink:
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Ah. An area I know something about.

Most magician's comedy lines come from:
1. The patter included with the trick. (Or on the DVD.)
2. The performer creates a script through many, many shows.
3. The performers writes a script
4. Stolen from other magicians.
5. Written by someone else, specifically for your show.

Which is the best? Method 1 is OK and gives you something to say. Two is excellent, but requires a great deal of time and doing many, many shows. Three is underused by magicians. Four is overused and makes the magician look like both a thief and a hack. Method five is great, but tends to be expensive.

I recommend trying 3...email me for some book suggestions. ( I also like number 5, email me if you have a large checkbook.)

Comedy Writer

( Donal - funny.)
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Comedy Writer was nice enough to break it down into 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
Let me address 3 and 5
I think it’s imperative that you write your own scripts at some point. Anyone who has read my book Taking Center Stage will know I stress this to anyone I mentor. I have worked and reworked my scripts with some of the best in Comedy Magic and I can say this is the one thing that you can do right away that will help with the lines. If you know someone who does comedy magic run your scripts and routines by them and get advice, their experience will help mold what you are trying to do. The timing on the other hand can only come from experience of performing as fair as I am concerned. No book no other person can give you a since of timing you need to develop that on your own by doing show after show.

So I feel that number 2 goes hand and hand with everything.
For number 5 I once hired a local stand up comedian who is a friend of mine from my standup days to help script out some of the funny for my show. It was one of the most daunting projects I had ever tried to complete. Now the reason is that my friend was not a magician and had no clue as to the since of timing you need when working with props. So what I am saying is if you are going to hire someone and this being the best way to get good material then hire someone like Comedy Writer so you have someone who not only knows comedy but also knows magic.
Good thread guys.

Floyd
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
Mr Rubiks
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Mr Rubiks
Comedy Writer nailed it on the head with his list.
Unfortunatley Number 4 should probably be No.1.
But that's just how it goes......
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Well, trying to be positive. You may note that the successful, famous magi generally use custom material...
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Good thread going here!

I prefer #2 with a slight deviation. I have never "written" a script/routine for performing in my life.

I find that writing it down and then trying to follow it can create too stiff of a character or as Floyd pointed out, too many missed opportunities.

When I first started working with Pat (my wife) in the act, she had no on stage experience. For her sake, we rehearsed routines with set lines (something I had never done before as a solo artist).

During our early performances together, Pat did wonderful (and is a great performer today!) but it was funny to watch her go through her "lines" on cue. This would often mean squashing the audience's response of laughter or applause so she could deliver her line.

Today, she is as natural on a stage as a performer can be and we enjoy being able to riff or ad lib as the situation presents itself. This can often create those really unique magical moments.

Posted: Apr 20, 2009 11:01am
Back to the original question, I feel strongly that you have to create your own patter as much as possible.

The words coming out of your mouth have to fit the character you are playing on stage. Using lines from other magicians' acts or from the script that came with the effect probably will not match your unique stage personality and therefore will hold you back as a performer.

So where do those lines come from? I'd say, they have to come from you. Some people find it easier to do than others. But, the words have to fit your sense of humour and ability to deliver. This can give you a great edge in the business.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
I continue to go back to ideas from the Artist Way.(Cameron, Julia)

and

rewriting, practice, rehearsal, shows...rewriting..

Harris
laughologist and nearly normal "righter"
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
First step - get a notebook...start writing down your ideas.

CW

Harris - great idea. Daily writing really helps the creativity.
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
I think a lot of comedy comes not necessarily from funny "lines,"
but rather emerges from a character that's inherently fun and
interesting to watch.

Steve Martin is a perfect example. In his heyday, his standup
routine wasn't really about lines, it was about a character
with a uniquely twisted perspective on life.

Absolutely agree on writing a script. Before doing so, however,
it's critical to know your performing persona inside and out.
Think through how your character perceives the world. What's
happening in your character's head when magic happens... in
fact, with magicians, the character should have some kind of
underlying thought process that explains why magic is happening
at that time.

A very simple illustration of this would be my character for kids
shows. I'm vain, self-delusional, over the top, and a conduit
for magic. Magic happens around me, but it's never quite under
my control... thank goodness I have helpers throughout the program
in the form of volunteers or puppets.

Once you know and become this character (you are an actor after all),
you can write your scripts, ad lib, and improvise from a clear
comic framework and perspective.

--Jack
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Jack - so true. Much of the best comedy comes from character (and your character's reactions to the world.)
Another place for comedy is responding to the unexpected...
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Well said, Jack!
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Method 2 - develop the comedy over several performances - is how I normally develop a comedy routine. Though I do script some pieces beforehand.
There are two bits of advice I could offer. There are several good books on stand-up comedy which are well worth getting. Unfortunately I gave several of mine to a young performer, who promptly lost all of them without even bothering to read them. Lesson learnt. But I recommend anything by Gene Parrott (Bob Hope's writer). Jay Sankey has a very good book on stand-up (he has a separate career as a comedian). The Bible of Stand Up Comedy (don't know the author, but you'll find it on Amazon) is very good.
The second piece of advice is to go and watch as many stand-ups as you can. Hang out in the comedy clubs, and just get a feel for comedy, and how comedians handle their audience. It will rub off. It's also a great way to spend an evening.
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Try searching for Gene Parret- and get the second edition of his comedy writing book. http://www.writingcomedy.com/

The Comedy Writing bible is from Judy Carter. ( a former magician.) A deal at less than $12

I recommend both titles

Comedy writer
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
You can also buy lines from a guy named Vinnie who hangs out by the Kwik-Mart.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2580 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
For the use and development of lines, character, and all associated things within stand up comedy-magic, a good resourse is Ian Keable's 'Stand-Up, A Professional Guide To Comedy Magic' which you can get direct from Ian here.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Maxfield,

You can't always trust the quality of "street comedy." Sometimes its good, but often they mix in a bit of satire or cut it with irony. Lets be careful out there.

Cw guy

Posted: May 14, 2009 11:34am
To continue on this topic, we magi study the work of stand-ups - often using their techniques and terminology to create fresh, new comedy.

Comedy Writer guy
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I watch a lot of stand up I think it can be a good lesson in how to use humour on stage. So technique yeah. Terminology? Nah
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Where do magicians get their lines? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL