We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Five Card Opener (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1594 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Oliver, I see no reason why it would not work in German or French [but not Spanish!] That's just a joke! It will work in any language as there is no wordplay.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Quote:
On 2011-02-18 14:52, Markkuhn2 wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-06-07 09:37, aceofharts wrote:
I showed this to my wife last night and asked her how it played for my show as an opener. She said YES you will get a lot of millage from this one, then she proceeded to ask “How much did you spend for this one” I told her and her next comment was, “Well worth it, I would have expected a lot more” A true testament of this great effect and its value.

Floyd

I can't even BEGIN to tell you how true that statement is.

I typed that in 2009 and it is still my opener... My jumbo cards became worn and had to make another set, that's how much I uses these cards.

Floyd
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Thanks Markymark for your help.

Oliver.
BaryBazz
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
199 Posts

Profile of BaryBazz
I performed this at the weekend , as my opener , on my first stage show for many years.I can fully recommend this product as it ticked all the right boxes.

This is a great effect for all those who put ENTERTAINMENT before skill and method.

BARRY
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3927 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
The beauty of this effect is the thinking that went into it. There's a gold mine of information and philosophy that only comes from years of performing it over and over again. The cards are well made. But the real magic is taking a trick that most of us purchased ages ago and promptly sent into a drawer with a disappointed sniff -- and making it into a freaking KILLER opener.

It's done for the kids with a manic kind of energy that gets them clapping and counting out loud...having fun. And the trigger concept really works.Adults???? Oh my! BRILLIANT. Simply brilliant.

It really does ALSO pack flat and play BIG!

A great purchase. Serious comedy.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1530 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
Does this use jumbo Bicycle cards?
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Quote:
On 2011-04-03 10:50, magicbyswh wrote:
Does this use jumbo Bicycle cards?

No, they are a different brand of Jumbo Card...Royal, I think. The regular sized cards are Bicycle though.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2583 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Oliver Ross wrote:
Quote:
I would be interested to know if there's anybody who has tried to translate the script to see if it would work in a foreign language, like german or french ? Words and word playing are not the same in every language and I would be afraid to find out after the purchase and training that the script just don't work in another language than english

While the script will translate perfectly well into other languages and shouldn't be a cause for concern there is another aspect that potential performers of this routine might want to consider when contemplating how well it will cross national boarders. That is the cultural differences of how an audience from a particular country is likely to want to instantly join in right at the start of a show.

The routine's scripting involves (and indeed the routine's success relies in large part on) getting your audience 'involved' in the effect in an overt way from the very start. If using this routine as an opener, as is intended, this means engaging your audience in this manner right at the top of your show.

For audiences who are collectively and culturally more reserved than your typical North American audience this could result in this effect not reaching the same potential that it has with a crowd who are more easily encouraged to act in an extrovert way.

Recently during one of his lectures here in the UK Bill Abbott commented on this saying that he'd been surprised to discover how less willing the Brits and other Europeans are to engage in this instant party atmoshpere.

Indeed leaping in with such a piece of routining before a more reserved audience is ready to join in can easily create a sense discomfort rather than the intended sense of fun.

This routine is undoubtedly a nicely constructed package with a well crafted routine. it's suitability as an opening effect outside of the the North American continent, while still having a lot of potential also has this possible pitfall to to bear in mind.

Of course the routine could be used later in ones set when the crowd are more warmed up but this means the loss of some of the rationale for doing the effect. (ie as a piece that sets up and primes the crowd to respond in a certain way and creating a repeating call back)

I suspect that the working pro will be able to make a well judged assessment as to whether or not they are likely to find this a problem in their country.

The part-time pros, amateurs and hobbyists however are more likely to find this a more tricky call to make. I would suggest that they should at least consider this point and maybe ask the opinion of someone they trust and respect to ensure that they will be able to have a good chance of getting the most from this presentation.

My comments here aren't meant to take away from the 7 pages of glowing testimony for Bill's routine in this thread. This routine has a great many happy customers for what is obviously an excellent product.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3927 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
It's very effective in Canada -- where audiences can also be fairly reserved.

I was very skeptical when I first saw the DVD because of the actions expected from the audience right off the top. But it works. It works if they applaud and come to their feet...and it works if it falls flat on its face and no one does anything. It's funny...entertaining...and it really really stuns laypeople.

I've never been a big fan of five or six card/bill/whatever repeats because the method seems transparent to me. But there is no denying that this version plays very well. And after all...we are doing the shows for them...not us. Smile

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2583 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Canadians are like caffeine wired, ADD extroverts with Tourette's syndrome compared to many European and British audiences.

But once you've got the measure of the Europeans and Brits (and equally if not more significant; once they've got the measure of you) they're more than happy to participate with as much wildly unfettered enthusiasm as anyone.

However, because of this, Bill's Five Card Opener might, for many on this side of the pond, not get the reaction it was desgined to create if used as described and if used as an opening effect.

As I have already mentioned, Bill himself pointed this out when I saw him in the UK.

He said that he'd just about got used to polite nods and gentle applause from the Brits being the equivalent of raucous standing ovations back home in Canada (and the US).

While his comments were being deliberately self depricating for comedic effect and were in response to the effect's somewhat muted response in terms of the audience's willingness to join in, in truth the point he was making is not the case.

Brits and the other Europeans are just as able to give a full on response but their more reserved nature means that, often, a performer has more to do to establish themselves as being both confident and competent before an audience is less willing to let themselves be put into their hands.

The nature of Bill's Five Card Opener, I'm suggesting, for some crowds, doesn't give sufficient leeway for many performers of varying abilities to be able to make this happen. The end result could, in such instances, be one of trying to jolly and audience along before they are sufficiently ready for joining in with such coersion. Ultimately this can create and endear in the crowd the opposite of what is trying to be achieved.

Of course the ability of the performer is a key ingredient in this (and any) effect but so is who you are performing to and the material you are using. All three elements are things one needs to consider when deciding what to introduce into ones show.

I think Bill has done a great job with his imput to this old classic and believe that it is a very well produced bit of kit that is worthy of the praise it has garnered. I also believe that my caveat is a valid one and worthy of consideration. But I won't be bothered if you don't agree. Smile
Neal Austin

cairo
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of cairo
Some good observations Sealegs. I'd like to add that in the USA one generally finds what is subtle, funny, or considered endearing - especially as an opening trick - in New York or Los Angeles - where audiences have a somewhat jaded, "I've seen it all, prove it to me, who are you?" attitude, only the most clever could get an audience to "go along" with such broad audience participation right off the bat. Except, of course, in a very limited number of special venues - like the Magic Castle - where the audiences are sort of pre-conditioned and really superb for a magician. Generally that's not the case in Ohio, Texas, Florida, or perhaps the vast majority of the country where Five Card easily work as intended.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Five Card Opener worked great in one of Detroit's best (and I might add the country's) comedy club, the Comedy Castle. And you know how tough Detroit audiences can be...(ask Charlie Sheen)

Ken
Roland Choo
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
226 Posts

Profile of Roland Choo
5 or 6 cards repeat is not an old trick. It is invented by Tommy Tucker. Many good magicians (Richard Osterlind included) have done it and in a variety of routines.

For Bill Abbot, his secret is in his audience response 'conditioner'. Thus, whether you are a Spanish or Chinese, as long as you follow Bill's instructions and remember his secret - audience response 'conditioner', then you can do a very fantastic show that result in great positive response from the audience. Yes, whether you do it for a small group or on stage for hundreds of audience.

Perhaps, you may find that the price is a bit expensive, I do not find it. This is because you will receive a lot from this. What you will receive from this purchase? You do not only get pocket-sized bicycle cards, you get a wallet with it. In addition, you also have Jumbo playing cards that you can perform for a bigger audience. Yes, also the container to keep your cards in pristine condition when you are doing the trick.

Although I received a defect container (there is a hole in the container), I still find it value for money. Why? This is because what we are buying is not the props only but the presentations, routines, teachings and efforts from Bill. There is an instructional DVD, a very well made DVD, with clear explanations and teachings from Bill, himself. He presented a very concise teachings on different 'conditions' that you may perform this trick. You can perform this close-up and on stage for a wide range of audience from children to corporate clients. There is PDF instruction note that you can print out as well.

As a last reminder, when you buy Five Cards Opener, you are not buying the props only but what you have is Bill's excellent teachings.
123crampt
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of 123crampt
Totally agree,

Just received this today and it is very well done, I can already see how I could use this, thanks Bill!!!

:)

Gibson
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5518 Posts

Profile of RNK
Use it as my opener for ALL my shows- and it just gets the crowd really focused on you and keeps them intersted throughout the whole show because of the patter. This is a definate winner!

RNK
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2787 Posts

Profile of John Long
When I first looked at Bill's presentation, I was under-whelmed.
Latter, looking at it again, I "got it". As many have already said, this is not about wow'ing the audience with the magic itself.

Still, as I asked earlier in this thread, I would like to know people's experience in using this for seniors. These are people that I'm concerned may be so reserved (due to age, or mental status) that they would just stare at me through the three phases (in which case they may just do that with the rest of my show too!)

Also, two people have mentioned using dollar bills instead of the cards; did this work well? Seems that that could create a bit more intrinsic interest in the effect.

Or any other approaches to dealing with "difficult" audiences?

Thanks;
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Quote:
On 2012-04-06 17:12, John Long wrote:

Still, as I asked earlier in this thread, I would like to know people's experience in using this for seniors. These are people that I'm concerned may be so reserved (due to age, or mental status) that they would just stare at me through the three phases (in which case they may just do that with the rest of my show too!)

Thanks;
John

I've used this almost every show for the last 2 years. Over the weekend, I peformed for about 100 people most of which were seniors. I changed up the scripting a bit to say I was using large playing cards today because "I knew the some of the audience today was going to be really ol...(catching myself before I said old), not have the best eye sight." This got a everyone laughing and taking part in the rest of the routine. The continued repeating their line after every routine of my show.

I think it can play well for any age group.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5370 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
M Sini, I'm a senior (70-ish) and love your line. John, I don't find my peers to be reserved or out of it in anyway. But then I'm not in a nursing care home yet and probably won't be until I fall off my motorcycle. Seniors, like the general population, run a full gambit of mental acuity and physical activity. The folks I hang with climb mountains, ride motorcycles, sail, fly their own planes, and run marathons (they range in age from 65 to 90). Try not to steryotype us.

I find that most of us are pretty much fun loving and can take a joke. We know we're old. The baby boomers (I am not a baby boomer I predate them!) are redefining old age. They are just not dying, retiring, or being inactive as a population.

Not everyone in a nursing home is there because their mind is going (even if many are). Some are there because their bodies have ceased to function to a level of independent living. I'd say play to us as if we were people. Some of us will get it and some of us won't just las with any population.

I have performed at several senior only communities and found this routine to play as well there as anywhere.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2583 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I agree that in working for seniors, or older OAPs, one need not find their age an obstacle for them being able to join in with this routine to the extent that is required to make it 'work'. This age group are often very socially interactive among themselves when they get together as a group and this ought to additionally help create the kind of atmosphere needed to make Bill's routine work.

But as to the cultural differences... well I know of 3 magicians in the UK that have tried this routine out over several months... one is a pro, one is a part-time pro, and one is a hobbyist... and all three have encountered the issue that I identified in my posts earlier in this thread. (and that I saw Bill himself encounter when he was lecturing in the UK) As a consequence for these performers (and Bill as well) the routine failed to work at the level intended. At least if the routine doesn't work something can be salvaged from the fact that the effect still has an outcome. The only problem is that this would then result in your having started your show with something that has left the audience at best feeling slightly uncomfortable at something that has obviously at some level not hit the mark. This can make it hard for an audience to then fully relax and trust themselves into the hands of the performer.

So while it may be all systems go for North America.... make sure you consider the nature of your audience if you work in Europe. (and especially if you work in the UK)
Neal Austin

Bill Abbott Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of Bill Abbott Magic
Thanks for your input Sealegs. I agree wholeheartedly that geographical locale and culture should be taken into consideration when putting the Five Card Opener into an act. My experience performing the Five Card Opener in the UK from a performance standpoint was an interesting one, to say the least. Many of the first few magic clubs/organizations I performed it for were a little stand-offish in their reaction(s) to the effect but generally got into it by the end. I then switched gears, and played it more softly and with less bravado than the early performances/lectures and it went over extremely well.

During my stay in the UK I performed three paid shows for lay audiences. One was an adult banquet, another was a house party and the third a large elementary school assembly (about 700 kids and teachers). The Five Card Opener got some of the strongest reactions I have EVER had in performing the routine, in each and every one of these venues. I was blown away.

So what did I take away from this experience? That there are cultural differences that should be taken into consideration when constructing and writing your material when abroad. But more importantly that audiences of magicians rarely react/act/respond like real (lay) people do.

Bill Abbott
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Five Card Opener (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL