The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best card and DVD releases in the last 5 years (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Hey gang,

It has been years since I posted and years since I picked up the cards. I got into card magic about 10 years ago, got pretty good, and then work, family, and other obligations got in the way and my book collection gathered dust.

I'm back into the swing again, and would like everyone's recommendations of the best card related books (and DVD's although I prefer books) of the last 4-5 years. Things like Card College are pretty old by now, so wouldn't be in my list. What is the best new (or reissued) stuff.

Bill
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Btw, I just ordered volume 4 of the Castle Notebooks.
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Dorian Rhodell's Avenue is a wonderful DVD.
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
I know that it is not just cards, but Carneycopia is a good read. I'm also looking to pick up Aaron Fisher's the Paper Engine.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Puggo,

Carneycopia is a great book, but it is about 8 or 10 years old. I'm looking for more recent recommendations. but thanks! I don't know Paper Engine, I'll check that out.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Edit
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
If you haven't read John Bannon's "Dear Mr. Fantasy," that's the one I'd recommend. It's the book that got me re-interested in things again.

As for DVDs, if you aren't familiar with the Bucks' stuff, you could consider "Trilogy." You may not want to do any of the flourishes -- I don't -- but their card magic is quite elegantly done and the entire package represents a new style of card magic.

But really, the top recommendation is DMF.
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Three books that have done it for me in the last five years are:

• Dear Mr. Fantasy, by John Bannon; RT @bugjack
• The Magicians Cookbook Ltd.; any book that includes tricks from Ackerman, Cummins, Dancy, Draun, Duffie, Hartman, Jay, Parker, Racherbaumer, Solomon and more can't be all bad.
• 52 Memories, by Andi Gladwin; this book, of Jack Parker's work, makes you smile at Jack's devious ingenuity, and sad that we lost him far too soon.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
MagicOfT
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
141 Posts

Profile of MagicOfT
Ben Earle's Past Midnight, is terrific.
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
Quote:
On 2009-04-17 16:30, puggo wrote:
I know that it is not just cards, but Carneycopia is a good read. I'm also looking to pick up Aaron Fisher's the Paper Engine.

My two favourite books along with Stars of Magic which has just been reprinted!

Don't wait Mr Pugsley, get the Paper Engine from Aaron's website (very resonable price to UK) and it should come quickly too. I would also suggest Aaron Fisher Speaks DVD as he performs some of the material on the London tape (and in the book) but so much better it's scary!
balic2003
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of balic2003
Pit Hartling "Card Fictions"

Great book with only a few routines, but they are gold and you will use them!
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
David Regal's Approaching Magic is GOLDEN.

Past Midnight is very good.

The Trilogy WAS great but got old for me fast somehow. I do nothing from the DVDs.

Surfaced by Chad Nelson is a great buy.

Tangled Web, Eric Mead, a SIGNIFICANT release, focuses primarily on card magic and theory (but has other close-up items within as well). This changed my views on card work.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Dear Mr. Fantasy was the book I picked up this week when I decided to get back into magic, along with 5 points of magic which I've always wanted but was always out of print. Thanks for the other recommendations.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Dominatricks by Tyler Wilson and Enchantments by Wesley James are both excellent books, as is Approaching Magic already mentioned.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
cngmagic
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
27 Posts

Profile of cngmagic
I forgot who made the video. But the one that I really like is called "seven".
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Another vote for Dear Mr. Fantasy, and the two Card College Light(er) books are great, and easy material.

John Carney's The Book of Secrets, if you can find a copy.

The 2002 reprint/update of Frank Simon's classic Versatile Card Magic.
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
I was disappointed with Card College Light, a bit samey for me.

Book of Secrets is available from Carney Magic and definitely a great investment for anyone interested in learning the classic pass and palming – and outstanding magic!
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Welcome back to the madness Bill!

Is there anything really "new" in magic? I'll second Dorian's "Avenue" DVD which has some awesome handling of some old sleights!

I don't know that I've ever heard anything derogatory about "Dear Mr. Fantasy"! It's one of the many still on the list of adds to my library!

If you're interested in gambling themed work James Swain has a great (IMO) 4 DVD set out called "Miracles"! "Fast Company" is another gambling 2 DVD set that I've learned a lot from!

Good luck in your quest,

MMc
Alel
View Profile
Special user
Bay Area
668 Posts

Profile of Alel
Another vote for both Past Midnight - Benjamin Earl and Card Fictions - Pitt Hartling.

Simply Sidney by Syd Segal is great, too.
acchessor
View Profile
Elite user
Nebraska
402 Posts

Profile of acchessor
Dear Mr. Fantasy is great: everything in it is usable and most importantly, a lot of the material is impromptu.

If you want a journey through magic, check out Paul Harris's True Astonishments DVD set. It has a bunch of great material but also has a journey through performing and exploring the boundaries of magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best card and DVD releases in the last 5 years (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL