The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. Ľ Ľ Radio Rental by David Forrest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: Radio Rental by David Forrest
Medium: DVD
Arena: Mentalism with Cards
Available: Any shop, distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

Radio Rental, Iíve no idea where the title comes from, is a collection of nine card effects around a mentalism theme. David Forrest, who I believe is Scottish, presents the routines to three spectators in a lovely old theater and then explains the routines. David does have a thick accent and it is just this side of being difficult to understand and luckily he speaks slowly and deliberately which helps him to be understood. If he is anything like a former coworker of mine from Scotland if he was to speed up he would not be understood at all. While some may have difficulty following along I found I was able to, for the most part, and as I got use to his speaking style it got easier for me. Because of the slow delivery the routines feel drawn out but no one ever said the key aspect of mentalism was excitement. David does a good job presenting the material and his explanations are complete and clear. I did laugh at one point because I had noted an odd error on Davids part during a performance which he brought up during the explanation. I am, though I tend to deny it for effect purposes, pretty up to speed on subtleties used in mentalism and David had done an action backward but once he mentioned what happened I found it funny. I like David as a performer and he seems like an all around good guy.

The quality of the DVD is just fantastic. These UKsters have access to some great equipment because the picture quality is so high you can count the hairs on Davidís arms and the sound is perfect. They even did some fun things with Davidís image vanishing and reappearing like a ghost. Companies like Full52, who made this DVD, are setting high standards in production and those guys still making DVDís with regular digital cameras without consideration of lighting and sound need to step it up a bit. I canít think of anything they could have done to improve the quality of this project. Well done by those involved, thank you for respecting your customers.

To be honest, and I try to be, the performances were a bit on the boring side for the most part. I think a lot of it had to do with David having to make sure his presentation was slow and in others hands the presentations could be amped up a bit and improved. It seemed, at times, that the spectators were ready to call it quits. The effects themselves ranged from ho hum to a couple I thought were very good and those two Iím working in for public demonstration. Letís look at a few of the routines but not all of them.

Force-ite: A card is thought of by a spectator and found in the magicians pocket, no index is used. This effect makes use of some effective subtleties to get the spectator to call the card you want them to. This would make an interesting opener for a set of mentalism.

Pseudo Memory: I really liked this one. It seems like you memorized the deck and you prove it by producing four of a kind by calling the locations. Plays well and one of the most entertaining routines in the set.

Queen Screen: One for the super hip street assassins. A thought of card is photographed on your cell phone.

The Man Who Paints The Future: Based on a Sankey effect this is a multi phased routine perfect for a formal show or for that special table when working a restaurant. The end result is you show a painting of yourself, Iím getting a pastel portrait done for this, or you can use a photo ala Sankey, showing you predicted four cards the spectator would randomly select, the deck they would choose, and how many cards would be left over after it was all said and done. This routine builds nicely and is a complete routine in it has a distinct ending. For table work use a photo or you can have the portrait set up in a corner near that special table.

The other routines are all interesting and youíll learn a bit about how mentalism works in the methods. Again most of the effects are not the most exciting routines but if you apply your personality and make them fit your character, if they do, then any one of these could fit nicely into a set of magic. I wouldnít do more than one in a performance, that might be overkill, but at the right time they will work. Overall though the project was extremely well done and while I think some, if not most, of the routines were selected to make the project or for use in lectures they are worth looking at and as a whole it is a better set of card magic than a lot of DVDs out there. I know Iíll be working with these as I am getting more into doing mentalism. Well done and keep up the quality, that is great to see.
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
664 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
Thanks for the review MagicSanta it's very much appreciated. I'm still waiting for my package to arrive!
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Radio rental is rhyming slang for mental.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Oh, like Cockney speak. Gotcha.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1247 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Old thread I know, but I have recently purchased this DVD and have watched a couple of times now. Just wondering if anyone has tried out many of these ideas/effects? Force-ite works well for me and The Man who paints the future (though I don't have my lovely picture just yet).

I'm sure they all work but it's hard to find space to put them all in, just wondering how others are getting on?
Hate to see high quality products like these get forgotten so quickly
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
I'm going to pick this up soon, methinks...
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1247 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Yeah loads of stuff on it so even if you get one or two useful things out of it it's worth the money
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Yeah.
The tricks sound brilliant - lots of think of a card effects, which I am fascinated by.

Kyle
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Just bought this - it looks AMAZING!
Review coming shortly...

Kyle
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1789 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Still, maybe Forrest should focus more on his customer service and webshop instead of putting out new products... Still waiting my order and accoding to Cafť seems I am not only one having problems dealing with him...

Juha-Matti
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1247 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
I have got a lot of stuff from Dave over the past month or two and each time it has been excellent service!
Everything I have ordered has come the day following payment. Once an eBook didn't send but I emailed and within 15 mins it was in my inbox.

That is over multiple orders so I don't think I just caught him on a good day, always seems to be on the ball.

Hope you get sorted though. I take it you have tried emailing about the problem? what was it you ordered?
RichardShure
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of RichardShure
I found the presentations painfully boring and slow. A couple of good effects but overall there are better DVDs out there.
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Oh well, hopefully I'll have some look with it.
I personally thought it looked rather nice.
OlympicAdam, did you have good service with physical orders (Dvds and props) from Full52 or just Ebooks?

Kyle
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1247 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Yes I had great service from Full52 on a number of things, some of the orders came from different places but still through Dave. I ordered something from Full52 website and had it the day after I paid.

There are some better DVDs but to me this has 9 effects and they are shown in a fair manner. I don't like to see the same presentation on every DVD I buy. Sometimes I was looking for a little more power behind the effects but when you look at the effect that is given, the method doesn't need it. I doubt I will do all the effects on this DVD but I will (and have done) a good number. Force-ite works a lot more than you would think Smile
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Thanks for the info Adam!
davidleiper
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of davidleiper
Just like to add that I have Radio rental and it's an excellent DVD with some great effects. With all multiple effect DVDs there's always going to be something that's not to everyones taste but I have used the majority on here to excellent responses.

As for Full 52 customer service - from a personal perspective it has been outstanding. Ebooks delivered immediately and physical items received usually next day (I do live in UK though). Only ever had one problem with a non functioning disc and Dave Forrest sent me replacement immediately. Cannot fault that!
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Sounds great!
I hope I receive it today!
Review coming when I receive it.
Thanks for all the help guys!

Kyle
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
I just received Radio Rental!
I was very lucky, as I got great service!
It came 1 day after the payment was transacted. Smile
Thanks Dave!
Review shortly,

Kyle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. Ľ Ľ Radio Rental by David Forrest (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL