The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Important advice needed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

newtomagic
View Profile
New user
Merion, Pa
78 Posts

Profile of newtomagic
I am writing here because I didn't know where else to post this. Anyway, so I have been doing magic for about one and a half years. When I say "doing magic" I mean living and breathing magic. For one and a half years I have been thinking about magic non stop all day. when I am at work or school (I graduate college in a month and I'm 26 years old) or doing whatever. Also, when I get home I am watching demos or practicing at some point every night. I started with cards and have become quite good with a deck of cards (learning coin material etc.. now). *enter my new magician friend Mike* I met my friend Mike at the local magic shop about 4 months ago. We talked, exchanged numbers and have been going to the local bars together on Friday nights for about 3 months. When we go out he observes as I approach people and do magic for them. It feels great to perform out there and I have become addicted to wanting to perform my magic for people. Anyway, so my magician friend Mike (who's been doing magic for 20 some odd years) can't always go out with me on Friday nights anymore because of family issues. So, my dilemma and reason for the post is this: My need to perform is growing as I grow as a magician and I am reluctant to go it alone because it just feels so much better when I have Mike with me. What do I do? I feel the need to perform but it is a much harder thought to imagine doing this alone out at the bars without my cohort with me. I need advice on where to go and what to do to perform my magic? Anyways, long story short I have become very involved with magic and I am thankful that I have because, I love it and like I said I really have been living and breathing magic for half a year or so. Please, anything to help me with my dilemma. And if you are reading this as a beginner, keep at it, you will love it! And if you have been doing it 4ever I understand, it is awesome.. -Ari, I NEED ANSWERS!

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 11:10pm
What as magicians do you think my next step should be? what do I do? Should I go out there alone and see what happens or what? *Frustrated* want to perform.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Well let me see....Sounds to me like you have to cut loose the magic apron strings and start gaining confidence in yourself. I think maybe the Papa Bear(Mike) is kicking you out of the den to fend for yourself. Yes it's tuff and scary but it's gotta be done. Especially if YOU want to grow.

Really you should take a deep breath, slow down and decide where you want to go with your new found love. Realistically look at your present skill level and be honest with yourself. Are you just getting caught up in the thrill of some of the reactions you are getting? Is that what you are craving and why you are so excited? Sure, the reactions from a lay audience are great and what you should strive for, but growing in the art goes much deeper than that.

Continue to learn and grow in the art. Not only effects but presentation/people skills. You mentioned that you like cards, that's great. You also should explore
other areas utilizing sleight of hand skills. Coin work, sponge balls, everyday objects etc. etc. Explore the whys of the effects. John Carney has some excellent resources to delve deeper in to performing.

Do you want to get better? Do you want to expand you repertoire? Do you want to pursue working in restaurants/bars regularly? Are you happy with casual performances on Friday nights at the bar? What do you want? Those are questions only you can answer. You can't start on the journey without at least some idea of where you want to go.

Yes you got bit by the Magic Bug. (congratulations) Take your time and also spend some time here on the Café absorbing all the good advice available to you. Enjoy the journey.
David Paul
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
newtomagic
View Profile
New user
Merion, Pa
78 Posts

Profile of newtomagic
I want to consider myself someone who gets paid to do magic while having fun peforming magic. Everyone wants to like what they get paid to do. I will have a college degree in about 6 months as a teacher. But during summers and whenever I can I would like to do magic and get paid, bars, restaurants or whatever really. I just like to perform and magic is a means of doing that, and like you said I got bit by the bug and I want to persue my magic more. I have realized there is really only so many different effects that I can keep in my memory bank and master at one time so no, I don't really want to learn more effects persay but I want to learn how to perform better and entertain and be considered a magician that folks would want to see perform for them.
MagikDavid
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, OH
297 Posts

Profile of MagikDavid
What is it that's different about your performance without your friend? Are you more generally nervous without him? Did you play off him or interact with him during your performance? Was he part of your patter/routine, or was he strictly a silent observer?

If he was just a silent observer, then it seems he had become a 'security blanket.' As David Paul said... you need to cut the apron strings and gain more self confidence. I also agree that you need to define (in your head) the direction you wish to take this.

Although performing casually at the bars, is a great way to learn... if you want to get more serious as a 'paid' magician, I think you'll need a great deal more experience and learning before jumping into it with both feet. Being a respected 'paid' magician is so much more that just loading your pockets on a Friday night, and whipping out some card tricks. If you decide to move into restaurant work, there are basic do's and don't's about 'how long', timing your approach, knowing when to step aside when the waitress serves the table, etc.

As David Paul said, you also need to develop an understanding of the importance of routining, people skills, scripting, flow (from one effect to another) so that your performance is entertaining. Otherwise, you're just the guy who does tricks at the bar. If I understand you correctly, you want to become an act. If so, then slow down and learn all you can from the Café, books, dvds, etc. It sounds like you're getting a lot of experience with people... but that's only one element. Use that experience and work on putting together a balanced routine which is an entertaining show and which will enhance your reputation as a magician.

Dave
One good thing about being wrong...
Is the pleasure it brings to others.
newtomagic
View Profile
New user
Merion, Pa
78 Posts

Profile of newtomagic
Ok, thanks a lot for the advice and prompt replies. I will work on it and your advice is really helping and sinking in. I will be posting soon to let you know the progress that I make (hopefully). again, thank you, you'll hear from me soon.
-Ari
akolodner
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of akolodner
Is there a society of american magicians or IBM chapter near you? You could join and meet other magicians to perform for and get critiques and maybe even go out with. Nothing wrong with wanting a buddy.
Arnie Kolodner
newtomagic
View Profile
New user
Merion, Pa
78 Posts

Profile of newtomagic
There is and I was going but unfortuanatly they meet on monday nights and I have a night class those nights. But, when this semester ends in a week or so I will be going again and I will be picking brains and looking for help, advice, ideas and connections. Good Idea!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Ari,

The world is full of "shut-ins" that would love to watch you do magic and especially one-on-one. Check with area hospitals, the VA, nursing homes, and childrens' facilities. There are also ladies' groups, civic clubs and fraternities!

Good Luck!

Enjoy your magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
You have to do it alone so start with some real simple effects you have total confidence in. Then go from there. You will eventually start to feel comfortable.
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
You could ....

Start working on a show, put your material together in a cohesive fashion. Think of the why's and presentation. Have a flow to the show

Once you are comfortable

Bob Sanders has a great response, do some shows for shut in's or some free community type shows.

Get the experience and enjoy what you do while doing a good deed for others. It's a great thing all the way around.

Personally I have huge issues with approaching people in a bar uninvited but that's another thread.
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Gweedo
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Gweedo
Mr. Sanders got to it before I could. I would say nursing homes. My local chapter of SAM meets at one once a month. They give a free room to have our meetings and the more advanced magicians give a free show.
Marcus Nogueira
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
52 Posts

Profile of Marcus Nogueira
I've just picked up Darwin Ortiz's Strong Magic and practically a fountain of information on developing your skills into a strong presentation. Highly recommended.
Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. --G.K Chesterton
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Important advice needed (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL