The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Jumping Gemini as an Opener? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
I don't think this is a good opener - it's too long, and your first 2-3 opening effects should be effects that convey a bit about yourself and set the tone or mood of the performance, in addition to warming the audience up.

Opening effects need to captivate the minds of the audience in such a way that makes them alert and interested. Therefore, openers usually tend to be somewhat shorter in duration and are more concerned with establishing a rapport and conveying your personality simultaneously.

An effect such as Jumping Gemini (and Gemini Twins, also) are perfectly suited for mid-show, just before you kick it into high gear with your closing effects - which should be about leaving a lasting impression.

David Copperfield's take on the McDonald $100.00 Aces effect "Grandfather's Aces" is a good example of show structuring when it comes to mid-effects. Typically, the middle block of your show is where you can do your longer, more conversational and relaxing effects, because hopefully, by this point you have captured their attention and earned some credibility with your audience.

The mid-show is also a great place to throw in a single effect that you want to hone a little more. That's not to say "practice" - you should still be able to perform it flawlessly from a technical standpoint, but rather, "refine".

It is only through the repeated performance of an effect that a truly great presentation and script evolves - so this is the perfect place to insert this.

Just make sure to have no more than one effect you're developing further and always "bed-post" it between 2 strong pieces - so that if it flops or hiccups, you can move on with the rest of the show without it even being remembered by the end of the show.(hopefully!)

This is such a multi-faceted topic, one could go forever.....lol.

I hope this helps shed a little for you on the "who, what, where, when, why, how?"
so to speak.

If I can help with anything else related to this subject or further clarification is necessary, don't be afraid to PM me, and I'll be glad to help in anyway possible.

Cheers.
J.Warrens
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Quote:
On 2009-04-24 06:17, J.Warrens wrote:
I don't think this is a good opener - it's too long, and your first 2-3 opening effects should be effects that convey a bit about yourself and set the tone or mood of the performance, in addition to warming the audience up.

Your opinion is duly noted.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
For those who have mentioned that they dislike the Gemini count, I recommend checking out Larry Jenning's handling - the Rhythm Count, found in his book "The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings".

Beautiful handling, and very different feel - but accomplishes exactly the same thing as the regular Gemini Count.

Cheers,
J.Warrens
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2009-04-18 05:35, fotballski wrote:
Do you think Jumping Gemini is a good opener?

If no, when in the act would you put it?

Regards,

Daniel

Just a thought if you're up for it: Jumping Gemini as a setup to doing Matt Bich's "thinner" trick in reverse. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jonathan_Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
CT
211 Posts

Profile of Jonathan_Miller
Quote:
On 2009-04-24 20:19, J.Warrens wrote:
For those who have mentioned that they dislike the Gemini count, I recommend checking out Larry Jenning's handling - the Rhythm Count, found in his book "The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings".

Beautiful handling, and very different feel - but accomplishes exactly the same thing as the regular Gemini Count.

Cheers,
J.Warrens

Also check out Wesley James's Virgo Move which accomplishes basically the same thing as a Gemini Count but looks more like a Diminishing Lift Sequence (which looks more natural IMO.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Jumping Gemini as an Opener? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL