We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » matchbox penetration? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nelly
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of nelly
ok I know there is a gimmick in it somewhere along the line. But I beleive it is virtually inperceptable. What I want to know is, can anything be pushed through the box,
ie a pin/needle, a match a toothpick etc etc
and can you change the box if it starts getting a bit shabby.
Are there any funny moves, or do you simply push it through then straight away open the box and show the brass thing to be there all along all in full view?

What reactions have you had and would you say is it worth the money
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
1. Yes you can use all the objects you named.
2. You can switch boxes.
3.No funny moves. Simple and direct.
4. The reactions are tremendous!
5. Yes it's worth it.

Hope that helps.

Andrew Smile
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
geeman
View Profile
New user
Kent, U.K.
5 Posts

Profile of geeman
Use toothpicks! I used to use the pin supplied, but found it was 'damaging' the block in a way that would give the game away. Anything plastic or wood is fine, blunt needles may be ok. First time I saw this done, the guy threaded a ribbon through on a big darning needle.
Also, make sure the box is in good condition, with no 'fluffy bits' around the hole. Anyone know what I mean? Smile
shammond
View Profile
New user
Ohio
56 Posts

Profile of shammond
Yep, I know what you mean. It's probably best to stay away from anything that may "fray" as it passes through the box. I have seen wooden toothpicks "shed" a bit of themselves which could possibly give it away. I now lean toward using a large safety pin or plastic toothpick.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1922 Posts

Profile of Platt
I own this effect and think it's a good one. My only problem with it is it begs the question: why are you carrying a lump of metal on you? I wish someone could think one up with something that you might naturally have on you or that could be found in a bar. While it is examinable, a lump of metal is just a bit too propy (in an everyday social situation) for my tastes. Just something to think about before shelling out the big bucks on this one.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
There is a thread somewhere at the Café. Do a search. The quality of the gimmick varies a lot. Have the one you plan to buy demonstrated. If you still can't figure it out buy it.
-Josh
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
nelly
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of nelly
good point
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2003-05-19 13:20, Platt wrote:
I own this effect and think it's a good one. My only problem with it is it begs the question: why are you carrying a lump of metal on you? I wish someone could think one up with something that you might naturally have on you or that could be found in a bar. While it is examinable, a lump of metal is just a bit too propy (in an everyday social situation) for my tastes. Just something to think about before shelling out the big bucks on this one.

Because sticking a needle through a matchbox full of matches isn't very magical or perplexing. We are magicians, we do odd things, we are allowed to carry around the occasional odd thing.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
788 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Nelly, I own this effect also and it plays very well up close. Of course I do a switch out with a real box of matches and then dump one out of the trick box to "whet their appetite" and keeps things on the up and up. After that the penetration just has the look of "so...big deal" until the kicker ending is revealed to them. I also patter about the sword in the stone thing and King Arthur if I am doing it for kids.

Snidini
nostromo
View Profile
New user
Pensacola, Fla
79 Posts

Profile of nostromo
It's a good idea to swap out the matchbox, too. It's easy for it to develop a 'crease' or fold right along the middle that begs the question of why it is there. I 'roll' the slide part like a tube to develop a lot of creases and help it look worn. Or even use a new one every time- they don't cost a lot. It's better to let the spectator not be distracted by anything unusual about the props.

You can sharpen the end of a match and push it through, too, if the gimmick allows it. But you have to watch out for the red tip getting shaved and leaving a tell tale trace.

As to why there would be a block of brass in a matchbox, why NOT have a block of brass in there? YOU didn't know it was there, either, did you? You just picked up this box of matches and the most AMAZING thing happened, would they like to see? It may not happen again, but let's try . . .

Or maybe you work with someone from a research lab that is working with new metals. Perhaps tie it in with some copper coin productions?

Or maybe you were, or have, or are, or can PRETEND to be a Boy Scout (or leader) and it's just natural for you to have some matches.

Or you are decended from a long line of alchemists who have been trying to discover the sorcerers' stone. Would they like to see gold made? Let's see, what do we have handy to make the gold in, wouldn't want to risk getting burned, would we? How about this matchbox? Shake out the matches (have a few in there just for this), push a toothpick through the box, hold a penny on top of the box after lighting a match. Cook the whole thing while reciting your favorite incantation, and VOILA! Well, it's not gold, darn it. Back to the drawing board.

Last thought, sometimes the metal color or 'wear patterns' (grinding patterns?) can give off a clue to the workings of the gimmick. Judicious application of elbow grease and a scrubby pad or rough (NOT smooth) sand or emery paper gets things back to invisible. Don't put a sealer on, that shows up and might give the effect away.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I prefer the old fashioned version that uses no gimmick at all -- just a metal plate, a matchbox, a needle and a ribbon. The handling is everything and the box can be replaced when worn.
sleightofhand1
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of sleightofhand1
i have been using mine for a long time, i use the needle and thread, and always get great reactions from it...
first i use the matches for a trick, then do the switch..
Conus
View Profile
Special user
653 Posts

Profile of Conus
The appearance of the metal block is the surprising part of the trick and requires no explanation. (In fact, offering an explaination might be anti-climactic.)

I agree on the use of non-fraying/non-splintering objects for the stick (plastic if possible).

Garrett Thomas extends the use of his matchbox. (He covers this in his lectures.)
MagicMaker
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of MagicMaker
Don't listen to people that say carrying a block of brass is too proppy.

I have recently dug up my tarnished block of brass which in fact is much better now as a fooler than when it was brand new. The reason was you could make out the lines on the block with somewhat close inspection and a friend of mine actually found the secret. I decided the bras block needed some work so I took some tools and I scraped and gouged at it to hide the lines. After I scrapped it the lines were still easy to see and I basically gave up, and lost faith in the trick.

After like ten years of not using the block I found it laying around and I looked at it, and now you cannot see any signs of the secret at all, the tarnish did the trick. I do think the shiney brass looks to proppy when it's new , but if you let it tarnish and don't polish it it's much more effective. That's of course true with my block because the machine work on it wasn't perfect so you could see the lines.

So anyways I took the block to my work showed everybody, they all had a chance to examine and try to duplicate the effect, but they were totally fooled.

The reaction I get is awesome. This is now my most favorite close up effect.

When I bought my block ten tears ago it was a brand new trick and I paid 65.00 for it! Now I look at the prices and they go for 20.00 dollars...sigh!
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
My advice is to check out the block BEFORE you leave the store. I did not do this and the one I have is a worthless piece of @*&^%. I still can't use mine because it looks "funny" and using emory cloth on it and brass cleaner hasn't helped one bit. Also mine takes forever to "set". I had a machine operator try to fix the problem but was only able to help a little. I will probably buy another one sometime in the future but will not leave the store before I check it out completly. I agree with Payne, Magician's are a strange lot to begin with, so having a few strange objects laying around is perfectly normal.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1240 Posts

Profile of Jeff
How about using a lite match from the box. Do the penetration with the match, then dump out the brass block which would probably have scorch marks on it.

Jeff
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17175 Posts

Profile of joseph
$20? Where? The lowest I have seen is $45. On another thread, 2 posts claim the spectator discovered the secret. How well is this made, anyway? If you use mail order, you cannot have it demonstrated. Any thoughts on this? Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
denver
View Profile
New user
Athens, Ga
66 Posts

Profile of denver
i cannot agree more irossall

like you said, check out the trick in the store, but if you order online just ask around here at teh Café for a well made one and see where they ordered it from
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » matchbox penetration? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL