The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Match Paper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EdwardHilsum
View Profile
Regular user
England
145 Posts

Profile of EdwardHilsum
Hi Guys,

I use appearing match gimmicks in my stage act and in the past have been using sandpaper and swan vesta matches. This is not very reliable and I have been advised to use normal safety matches and 'matchbox paper'.

However, I practise the act every day and wondered if anyone knows where to buy large sheets of paper coated in the same chemical found on the side of a matchbox. I know I have seen this somewhere before but can't remember where and a quick internet search has produced no results.

Thanks very much in advance,

Ed
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Hey Ed,

I recommend the dependalite clip from MagicIans here on the Café. I use two of them so I have a back-up, but as the name implies, they've been extremely dependable. It's just a little bulldog clip with some strike paper folded through it, but it really does the job. Just about every famous professional magician uses these, such as Lance Burton, Copperfield, Levent, etc.

(Here's a link, but it's probably better to just contact him here on the Café. Also, get two or more of the single match pulls, not the double.)

I think the best thing to use in these little clips are regular paper matches, and the strip of strike paper from the paper match book. You can buy packages of 50 packs of paper matchbooks in any supermarket for a few dollars (at least here in the U.S.) And a single strip from the pack will last quite a while. And super simple to replace.

Good luck. Any new videos of you act?

-Daniel
EdwardHilsum
View Profile
Regular user
England
145 Posts

Profile of EdwardHilsum
Thanks Daniel,

I will take a look at the clip but I am actually happy with the ones I am using at the moment. I just need to find a supplier for large quantities of the striking paper.

If you would like to see my act, here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KtTBlkXjUU

My act has changed quite a bit since then and I hope to have a new video up shortly.

Thanks again,

Ed
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
I really like your routine. Kind of makes me want to get some birds. : )

I especially liked your silk fountain steal. Really slick. Did you make that fountain or buy it? I'm about to try making my own after using a cheap one that is just not as elegant-looking as I would like.

Thanks,
Daniel
EdwardHilsum
View Profile
Regular user
England
145 Posts

Profile of EdwardHilsum
Thank you. The slik fountain is made by Jay Scott Berry. They are great quality.
simchamagic
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of simchamagic
Nice video, I enjoyed the multiplying balls the most.
EdwardHilsum
View Profile
Regular user
England
145 Posts

Profile of EdwardHilsum
Quote:
On 2009-04-23 06:38, simchamagic wrote:
Nice video, I enjoyed the multiplying balls the most.

Thanks!

Can I just bring this back to my original question - does anyone know where to buy, or at least the name of, sheets of match striking paper?

Thanks in advance,

Ed
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
492 Posts

Profile of DougTait
You might try and contact:
http://www.matchbooks.com/
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Hey Ed,

I poked around online when I was initially looking at match pulls, and I couldn't find sheets of strike paper anywhere. Red phosphorus is the key ingredient in strike paper, and unfortunately it is also a key ingredient in the production of crystal meth...so that may be one of the reasons why it's not so easy to buy it in bulk.

Probably the easiest and cheapest solution is to get a few big boxes of cheap kitchen matches like Diamond Strike-On-Box Safety Kitchen Matches. The whole side of the box is coated with striking material. Cut that panel off a few boxes and you'd have a pretty decent supply. Theses matches are only $1.25 per box.

http://www.rei.com/product/407243?cm_sp=......*element

Good luck. Let us know what you end up with.

-Daniel
EdwardHilsum
View Profile
Regular user
England
145 Posts

Profile of EdwardHilsum
Quote:
On 2009-04-23 21:17, DougTait wrote:
You might try and contact:
http://www.matchbooks.com/

Thanks, but this seems to be quite expensive as they make custom mathcboxes to order.

I see the problem there Daniel! I will probably end up getting it direct from Dan Birch here: http://www.danbirch.com/products.htm

It seems pretty reasonable.

Thanks for all the help,

Ed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Match Paper (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL