The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » First Balloon for Tips Job (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Perry D Winkle
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of Perry D Winkle
All,

I've become fairly proficient with my balloon animals now, and I've done really well at the events that I've worked so far.

Slowly, I've put together a portfolio of my work that includes a letter of recommendation to help me get a job in a restaurant.

My question is this, how do I go about getting that job?

The plan so far, is just to walk into the restaurant, shake the general managers hand and ask him to look at my portfolio. Then explain that I would like to try working a couple of nights in their establishment for tips.

I'm thinking a lot of these guys will tell me to pound salt. But on the other hand, it only takes one to say yes.

Is this the correct approach?

Thanks in advance
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
I would work only one day for tips.. After that they should be paying you... I usually walk in with a premade work of art and actually sit down and have lunch... Then ask to speak to the manager.. Try to guy after lunch but before dinner.. I went to 5 resturants and landed one... Tips are about $25 an hour plus pay from resturant... My problem is I can't find abyone else willing to pay me.. They just want me to wrok for tips... Very nerve racking at the moment..
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
I thought I had posted but guess it did not go thru. What I do and suggest is talk to the GM or owner of the restaurant and offer to come in and do an hour for free (if you get tips great). Once he sees how the kids go nuts for what you do give him your hourly rate (pm if you want to discuss that part) and I also have them include a meal which for them is no big deal but for me I get a $20 to $30 dinner at least once a week yummy. Let them know that you can use the time at the table to decrease perceived wait time, enhance dinning experience and that you will not hinder table turn over. This is restaurant speak for I won't get in the way of the food, which will be the question in the back of his mind. I hope this helps. It works well for me.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Quote:
On 2009-04-22 11:59, Kevinr wrote:
I would work only one day for tips.. After that they should be paying you... I usually walk in with a premade work of art and actually sit down and have lunch... Then ask to speak to the manager.. Try to guy after lunch but before dinner.. I went to 5 resturants and landed one... Tips are about $25 an hour plus pay from resturant... My problem is I can't find abyone else willing to pay me.. They just want me to wrok for tips... Very nerve racking at the moment..

No luck with my info?
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Perry D Winkle
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Thanks for the responses. I understand that the method of payment is important, I was more concerned about my approach. However, from what I'm hearing it sounds like my plan is the typical way to get a job.

Monty, Thanks for sharing the information on restaurant lingo. I'll message you.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2009-04-22 17:28, Bad to the Balloon wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-04-22 11:59, Kevinr wrote:

No luck with my info?

Its similar to my approach before.. But no luck.. They all claim.. "Well so and so has someone do it at there place only for tips..."
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Yeah, there are a couple people who work strictly for tips in some local restaurants, and as I've said a couple times, if you're working for just tips, you're charging the restaurant exactly what you're worth. Do the one hour or one night freebie as a demo of what you do, that's usually the best approach. Also, if you find your local eating establishment has a KID'S NIGHT or FAMILY NIGHT, that's usually what you should shoot for. Usually, the kids will eat free that night, so they're generally busier, and since they don't spend as much money, you're more likely (depending upon the clientele!) to snag a tip or two.

Just my .02 worth..having twisted and performed in restaurants for 13 years.

Steve
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
As for the work for tips thing, and I don't mean to start a dust up, the way I get past that argument is that if they pay my fee then I consider myself "booked" for that time slot each week. That way when the kids ask to come to your restaurant on kids night they are never disappointed because you are not there. This works for me. As far as fee goes I won't discuss amount because I don't want to start that little debate but if you want to low ball give them a "special rate" for the first 3 or 6 months. Once they see how you enhance the restaurant they may be more open for your normal rate. This is just a suggestion. It has worked for me in the past. It is by no means the only way to do things. I don't think there is any one way. Good luck to all.

Posted: Apr 23, 2009 2:10pm
I want to add that I do both magic and balloons. I was making about $20 an hour in tips. I got the Bad to the Balloon DVD's and added some of the hats and my tips have consistantly increased to $30 and hour. That is a fifty percent increase in tips. I will continue to add to both the magic and balloon side of my show to keep it fresh but let me tell you the DVDs paid for themselves the first week.
Perry D Winkle
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

I got Marks dvd this week. I'm already going to add a couple of these hats to my work. I really like the pirate hat. It's simple, effective, and it gives me something to do with the white hearts. In general I like to hand out the pink and red hearts and I wind up with all the white ones left over.

I also want to make a variation on his shark hat using black and white balloons to make a killer whale.

Kids love the hats and that's a fact. I can hand someone a balloon animal and it doesn't get near the reaction of a silly hat with a geo on top.

I can definitely see hats increasing the money I take in.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Aaaaawwwww you guy make me so happy!!

Restaurant strategies, if your getting resistance for pay and they want tips only try this:

"Sure I can do it that way, here is the deal, You can't advertise my presence, I won't advertise to people I am here. I come and go as I please, no start and no finish time. Also you won't have anyone else come in to avoid people confusing us. BUT if I have another engagement for pay I will be taking it. And I can't provide substitute as it is unfair for me to ask my friend to work for nothing. ... Deal?"

If your worth your salt it works. Also I would only pick INCREDIBLY busy restaurants to do this with. No hit and miss shops.

I live in ground zero of the balloon pimp (someone who sends kids to his work while he collects a fee from the restaurant & doesn't pay them)
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
www.balloonguy.net
Perry D Winkle
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Quote:
I live in ground zero of the balloon pimp (someone who sends kids to his work while he collects a fee from the restaurant & doesn't pay them)

I know who your talking about! I remember seeing his 'success' story online. Man it p*sses me off seeing someone send in students to do their work for a penance. Contract labor, in this business of all things!

The problem will come down to the same thing it always has. They want good enough for the money. Now in our situation that may be a good thing, The kid is only in it for easy money, so it's not like they provide quality entertainment. Unfortunately, the pimp gets to set the price your bidding against.

Someone needs to tell these kids to give the balloon pimp the finger. No one in this business should have to work for the man.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

I don't know how he can claim to have insurance on people who are not employed. Isn't the definition of employee someone you pay? Guy is in 7 states doing this along with a few other companies doing the same thing.

Wonder why I bother carrying insurance if anyone can do this? I wonder what the State Employment Office would think of such practices?
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
www.balloonguy.net
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2009-04-25 16:11, Bad to the Balloon wrote:
I don't know how he can claim to have insurance on people who are not employed. Isn't the definition of employee someone you pay? Guy is in 7 states doing this along with a few other companies doing the same thing.

Wonder why I bother carrying insurance if anyone can do this? I wonder what the State Employment Office would think of such practices?

TAKE HIM DOWN!! TAKE HIM DOWN!!

HELP..
Perry D Winkle
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

I've been thinking about this. In terms of competition, is this guy really any different from any other entertainment agency? These sorts of creeps have been around for years, I don't think it's going to cost anyone a job.

What does he provide that independent workers cannot?

I'm not really sure why anyone would work with him unless they simply didn't know any better or an alternative didn't exist in their area. I'm leaning toward the latter.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

His success is based on people's natural laziness. You decide if you want to work for the night log-in via the internet and go. You also don't have to maintain, acquire or make happy anyone because your not accountable.

At least with an agent you get paid, badly but you get paid.

They also sell the service for 1/4 of the value of a good performer.

Entertainment been running into this for years..... guitar player that work for beer & tips. Everyone can't be Bon Jovi!!
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
www.balloonguy.net
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Well Mark,

I got two more resturants There is a owner here in town that him and his brother own many mexican resturants. I offered 4 nights free and then we will discuss price.. See what happens.. Not quite what you suggested but had to try something..
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
Kevinr that's awesome. One of my restaurants is a Mexican place. They like to pay me in cash which is very cool with me. Perry I am still waiting to hear how your search is going. Give us an update when you have one.
Perry D Winkle
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Monty,

My search is not going very well. I've managed to speak with four general managers, and most of the time they express genuine interest. I had a guy last night tell me to call him at 6:00 so that I could set up the demo. Then they always talk to their boss, and without hearing anything, they cancel the deal.

I can win over the general manager, but it's the guys over them that I cannot even approach that are shooting the idea down. They do not see the profit potential.

I do not know how to proceed. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
What I did was create a porfolio of pictures and I leave them behind to show the decesion maker (if he is not around)forcing me to come back and pick them up.. In two days. Both times the pictures are on the owners or GM desk forcing me to get them from the top dog closing the deal.

Both times I told them I wear no tack tip buttons, tip jars and never ask for tips. the offer to work a time or two for just tips to see how it goes leaves them with no risk at all of trying you out. What do they have to lose?
Perry D Winkle
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Kevin,

Thanks for the idea. I do have a portfolio but I haven't been leaving it behind, so perhaps that will help.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » First Balloon for Tips Job (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL