The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » New Article on Fitch Cheney's 5 Card Trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
glowball
View Profile
Loyal user
Nashville TN
225 Posts

Profile of glowball
WilburrUK, you are absolutely correct on all counts. Good catch. I had put my mind in a box so to speak.

The A101 column is for the duplicate suit cards so that means you could start your list with any card of the suit say 5C in A101 then in A102 have 6C and so on wrapping around and ending with 4C in A113. Then A114 starts the next suit etc.

A nice neat starting point does give a good visual reference when first creating your spreadsheet and will help you spot typo errors so it would not make sense to start with the 5C, but if Memdoctor wants to start with the deuce of Clubs in the duplicate suit column (the A101 column) that will work fine, but has no bearing on his tie-breaker scheme. The tie-breaker scheme is determined by the C101 column.

Go to the link below to see the actual program:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=99&1
You can copy and paste the cells to a fresh spread sheet and try it.

Note to others joining this thread: the C101 column is for the three cards' L M H determination (not for the duplicate suit cards).

Apologies to Memdoctor,
I also got off track (too busy at work is my excuse) about the C101 column.
For Memdoctor's Aces high bridge order I should have said the C101 column has:
C101: 2C
C102: 2D
C103: 2H
C104: 2S
C105: 3C
C106: 3D
C107: 3H
C108: 3S
C109: 4C
and so on until C152: AS (Ace of Spades last in the list).

This way the C101 column functions as a tie-breaker for situation of two or three cards having the same value (for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th cards entered by the spectator).

You could do it by using my erroneous C101 list in my previous post (using deuce thru Ace of Clubs then deuce thru Ace of Diamonds and so on), however that would be quite a departure from the Fitch Cheney mental process of determining L M H of the three cards and using a tie breaker of Bridge order (my erroneous C101 list method there would be no tie-breakers because all Clubs would be lower than all Diamonds, etc.).

Posted: Apr 1, 2010 1:56pm
--------------------------------
After sleeping on the subject I'm thinking that the erroneous C101 Bridge order may actually work pretty well mentally for someone who plays Bridge a lot because they are so in tuned to the suit order CDHS and the Aces high within each suit.

Let's try it with 5 cards being: 8D, 7H, 3S, 8C, JS
The 3S will be the revealed card and the JS will be the first card entered (a difference of 5). These duplicate suit cards rely on the A101 list.

The other (three) cards entry order will be: 7H, 8C, 8D (this is H L M using the erroneous Bridge C101 list that I posted).

If using the corrected Bridge tie-breaker C101 list then the sequence would be: 8D, 7H, 8C (this is the H L M using the corrected C101 list).

I played a lot of Bridge 50 years ago as a teenager, but would struggle to use the erroneous C101 list, I'll stick with the corrected C101 list technique.
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
Quote:
On 2010-01-08 14:13, glowball wrote:
P.S.: To others - check this link below about Fitch Cheney:
http://courses.csail.mit.edu/6.042/fall09/cardTrick.pdf

Your link requires a username and password.
Smile Tally-ho! And Tuscarora too! Smile
John Rogers
View Profile
New user
Indiana
12 Posts

Profile of John Rogers
Reading this thread has inspired me seek somebody to write a javascript for me to do a version of the fitch cheney 5 card trick. I like the 4 card version using a face down face up 6 bit code to signify the 6 possibles. I want the javascript to get its info from a form using radio buttons. Anybody here up to the task? I would gladly pay for the javascript to use on my website woodencigars.com as a fun page for my subscribers.
John Rogers
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
John,
PM'd you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » New Article on Fitch Cheney's 5 Card Trick (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL