The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Best of Semi-Automatic Card Tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
John Pilotzi
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of John Pilotzi
I don't rate the SACT series because far too many tricks have very big set-ups. So, they may be "automatic", but they sure ain't impromptu and/or practical. JP
ryesteve
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of ryesteve
Are there really that many impromptu self-working card effects that require no setups? When I hear "self-working", I automatically assume a setup is required, so I'm not sure why this should be a criticism.
tltq
View Profile
Regular user
east coast
147 Posts

Profile of tltq
Quote:
On 2010-02-25 10:36, ryesteve wrote:
Are there really that many impromptu self-working card effects that require no setups? When I hear "self-working", I automatically assume a setup is required, so I'm not sure why this should be a criticism.


Yes

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=206&46
ryesteve
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of ryesteve
Yes, I looked at that thread... about half of the first page of messages are about OOTW, which is generally thought of as requiring a setup. Another of these supposedly self-working effect contains instructions such as, "The selected card is maneuvered so that it is fifth from the top. Then a group of cards is half passed to the bottom, and the bottom group is brought into play for the final count."
This is "self-working"? If so, I think we need to clarify what we mean by this.

Anyway, I never said there was no such thing as a self-working trick that required no set up... I just wondered aloud if there were so many of them that the requirement of a set up should be a criticism; and the thread you pointed to doesn't provide a whole lot of examples to the contrary.
tltq
View Profile
Regular user
east coast
147 Posts

Profile of tltq
Looking back at thread the I posted, I see some people got off topic. Based on the sleights mentioned by the original poster later in the thread, I think it probably would have been better if the original poster had started another thread dealing with fundamental sleights in the Workers section and let the thread in the All in the Cards section deal with self-workers

These are either self-working or sleightless

No Clue Discovery
A Sporting Proposition
The Lazy Magician
Whispering Joker
Any Deck, Any Time
Mental Mates
Deuces Wild
The Magic 13
Double Disclosure
Ultra Coincidence
Duplex Mind
Blind Dice 1
Blind Dice 2
Hocus-Pocus
A Card and a Number
The Geiger Counter Card Trick
Opposites Attract
Follow the Leader
Mental Miracle
O. Henry Card Trick
magicdano
View Profile
Regular user
Danny Habel
145 Posts

Profile of magicdano
I found all of Steve's books full of humor and clever material. Not only does he give you tricks, you can find info about a variety of topics. For example, he discussed the Matsuyama Principle in one or more of his volumes.I understand he is working on a Vol. VIII.
Richard.J.E
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Richard.J.E
I own 1 - 5 and I do belive some require such heavy specific stacks that they are for certain situations only.
Zap
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Zap
I can't believe the misinformation on this thread! It's obvious the posters haven't really worked through the books. There are many tricks in all the books that are either impromptu or require an easy set-up, which you can do in front of the spectators. It's simply not true that these tricks require hugely elaborate set-ups! Yes, some do, but the results are usually worth the set-up. Steve Beam's books need to be read with cards in hand. Also, although the tricks may be relatively sleight-free, many are not easy to do, as they require mental agility. And, like all worthwhile effects, they will require practice.
I think if someone performed many of these effects for you you would have a much higher opinion of them. There are many hidden gems.
I have all seven books. It's difficult to pick a favorite, but I'll go with volume 3, which has a great monte routine (impromptu, multi-phase, visual, easy), and a great triumph routine (impromptu, visual, easy),to name a few of its treasures.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
This is simply a great series of books. Yes, some of the effects DO require a setup - and some quite extensive. But, these same effects pack a strong punch. Obviously if the stack is destroyed beyond hope then one wouldn't use these effects in walkaround situations. But, for formal sets, or for that special table, DS and slay them!

Annemann was RIGHT: EFFECT is everything!

If Steve IS doing a volume 8, I will definitely add it. Besides the excellent card magic, the revenues might convince him to do a Trapdoor compilation!!

Ahimsa,
Vlad
scottsheltonmagic
View Profile
New user
Raleigh, NC
59 Posts

Profile of scottsheltonmagic
I highly recommend the Killer Count in SACT Vol. 5. It allows you to do such illusions as:
- Instantly cut to the exact number of cards called for...
- And tell them what card is at that position in a borrowed, shuffled deck (no stack).

Also, I've heard a rumor that Steve might be doing a Trapdoor compilation but I don't know that for sure.

Scott Shelton
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-04-17 10:43, scottsheltonmagic wrote:
I highly recommend the Killer Count in SACT Vol. 5. It allows you to do such illusions as:
- Instantly cut to the exact number of cards called for...
- And tell them what card is at that position in a borrowed, shuffled deck (no stack).

Also, I've heard a rumor that Steve might be doing a Trapdoor compilation but I don't know that for sure.

Scott Shelton


Scott,

The Killer Count is a thing of BEAUTY! Smile I posit those of us who have taken the time to read this series have found many such beauties.

As to Trapdoor, I hear those rumours casting about every once in a while. I have faith that one day these rumours will in fact be no l;onger rumours but anm all dancing all singing Trapdoor compilation!

Ahimsa,
Vlad
scottsheltonmagic
View Profile
New user
Raleigh, NC
59 Posts

Profile of scottsheltonmagic
Beam is in my local I.B.M. Ring 199 in Raleigh. I know he's working on volume 8. I'm not so certain about the Trapdoor compilation. Steve keeps his cards close to his chest. Smile
Zap
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Zap
Good call. I love Eye Contact, in this chapter. Totally impromptu, quick and straight forward. I especially love the patter lines, which are hilarious and really add to the entertainment value of an effect which is very strong magically already.

Quote:
On 2010-04-17 10:43, scottsheltonmagic wrote:
I highly recommend the Killer Count in SACT Vol. 5. It allows you to do such illusions as:
- Instantly cut to the exact number of cards called for...
- And tell them what card is at that position in a borrowed, shuffled deck (no stack).

Also, I've heard a rumor that Steve might be doing a Trapdoor compilation but I don't know that for sure.

Scott Shelton
giobbi1
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of giobbi1
Quote:
On 2010-03-12 20:11, Zap wrote:
I can't believe the misinformation on this thread! It's obvious the posters haven't really worked through the books. There are many tricks in all the books that are either impromptu or require an easy set-up, which you can do in front of the spectators. It's simply not true that these tricks require hugely elaborate set-ups! Yes, some do, but the results are usually worth the set-up. Steve Beam's books need to be read with cards in hand. Also, although the tricks may be relatively sleight-free, many are not easy to do, as they require mental agility. And, like all worthwhile effects, they will require practice.
I think if someone performed many of these effects for you you would have a much higher opinion of them. There are many hidden gems.
I have all seven books. It's difficult to pick a favorite, but I'll go with volume 3, which has a great monte routine (impromptu, multi-phase, visual, easy), and a great triumph routine (impromptu, visual, easy),to name a few of its treasures.


Zap, you are exactly right. I got someone upset in another thread because I disagreed with their assesment of these books. Multiple Impact which is a seperate booklet is exactly that type of trick. You need to be able to think on your feet. Not for a specific magician? Perhaps, but that doesn't mean they aren't good.
fridoliina89
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Profile of fridoliina89
Is there any of the books that has "less" stacked decks etc than others? I saw a quick review of the books on Joshua jays site vanishinginc and he said as the series goes the later volumes there is more material that uses a few moves and stuff then the first books.
webstercolby
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of webstercolby
Quote:
On 2010-04-17 10:43, scottsheltonmagic wrote:
I highly recommend the Killer Count in SACT Vol. 5. It allows you to do such illusions as:
- Instantly cut to the exact number of cards called for...
- And tell them what card is at that position in a borrowed, shuffled deck (no stack).

Also, I've heard a rumor that Steve might be doing a Trapdoor compilation but I don't know that for sure.

Scott Shelton


Agree.
Great Domino
View Profile
Special user
Canada
540 Posts

Profile of Great Domino
I enjoyed Vol 3 more than the others. I liked the cards of Color section the most. I have all his books and would recommend that you maybe buy his lecture notes called "Hand Picked Card Tricks" to get a feel for what the SCT books are all about. I LOVE these books and these notes have ALOT to offer. "Party Time, Card Compression and Sly Stebbins" come to mind in the notes.

Good luck!
magicmann
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of magicmann
Just to let you know Volume 8 is now reality and on Steves website.

Paul
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Cant wait to order volume 8!!

Scott and I had referred to the Killer Kount earlier in this thread. This is a wonderful move. Aldo Colombini wrote an e-book on it called Killer Koncepts. It is loaded with very cool applications of Steve Beam's excellent bit of devilry.

Namaste,
Vlad

PS: SACT 8 is reportedly over 300 pages in length and as usual the list of contributors is impressive.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Since the title of this post is "the best of semi automatic card tricks" I'm going to chime in. I'm not a card guy, but I like to have a few ready if needed. captainsmiffy here in the Café developed a wonderful effect with Si Stebbins called Up The Ante. I love it. It does require a five or ten minute setup, but I keep about six decks ready to go with it. The magic is in letting the spectator shuffle the cards in a riffle shuffle, after making several cuts. He also precedes UTA with another stack that leads you right into the UTA setup. Just my two cents. Best, Bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Best of Semi-Automatic Card Tricks (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL