The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » AV Antispyware Alert pop ups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Thanks Balducci:I did download Malware bytes this morning and will play with it later after I get a little sleep.

Thanks also to Payne for suggesting Malware bytes.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4570 Posts

Profile of Payne
Absolutely no reason to have to re-install windows because of AV-Antispyware.

Malwarebytes will take care of it qickly and easily. We get this nasty bit of malware quit frequently where I work and we have found that MalwareBytes is just the thing to remove it.

Re-installing windows can result in a complete loss of all your data and it can take weeks tog et your system back to wjhere yo want it to be as all fo your thied party programs will need to be re-installed as well.

Just use malware bytes. It's a lot easier.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
It seems that in my tired state at 3:00 AM when I thought I was purchasing Malwarebytes I clicked on Advanced Registry Optimizer[they have several other products that they bombard you with],and that's what I bought.DOH!

I ran it and it cleaned up over 200 errors in my registry.However,it it did not eliminate Av Antyspyware alert.

So I called customer service and the agent told me to download systweak.com a free download.
I did and it looks like it did it's job ...eliminating AV ASW ans several other adware attackers.

So thanks to you guy's and a little Irish luck,I have a clean registry and a spyware eliminator I can use to eliminate this junk on a regular basis.I feel like a virgin again.lol

Also my computer seem to be running faster.

Advanced System Protector was very easy to load...even 'I' could do it!

Thanks again.

Rich
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Happy to hear you sorted this out ... however you did it.

But as Malwarebytes is free and a good product, you still may want to download and install it. It still may catch some things that this systweak.com does not.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Bad News.Everything seemed to be going nicely,and then I got two Blue Screen Of Death error messages. Smile

I can get online but I don't know when or if it is going to happen again.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2009-04-27 19:20, RicHeka wrote:
Bad News.Everything seemed to be going nicely,and then I got two Blue Screen Of Death error messages. Smile

I have to wonder if that might have something to do with you cleaning the registry with that other software? Or perhaps you could still be infected with the Avast Anti Virus, regardless of what that systweak software told you.

Try malwarebytes and run it once and then run it again after a reboot just so you can say you did ... then Payne and I can stop reminding you about that and we can all move on to the next step (reinstalling the OS) if you really need to. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2009-04-27 19:20, RicHeka wrote:

I can get online but I don't know when or if it is going to happen again.

Just one of the "headaches" I was referring to earlier.

These things do more damage than removal programs can keep up with; corrupt registry errors, sluggish performance, they alter system files that can't be fixed, and in general leave your system unstable and prone to crashing and errors. In a lot of cases, you are infected with more than one virus ... and this could be a virus causing the error to keep you from removing it.

Removal programs sometimes work, but the best way to remove the virus is to fire up your recovery CD and bring it back to factory condition.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1049 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
I agree with JoeJoe. The most simple thing to do is save any files that you want to keep and the reinstall Windows. Otherwise you will spend many more days trying to fix the problem. If you don't know what you are doing, then using registry cleaner and other software can do more harm than good.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
While I agree that cleaning out the registry can be fraught with danger (and so far as I can tell, no one here recommended that he do so), reinstalling the OS is simply not a smart thing to do if it is not necessary to do so.

Reinstalling windows is NOT necessarily a trivial task or simple thing to do. Very often if you do reinstall, you will find that software no longer runs the way it used to as some drivers go missing or otherwise get bunged up. Sometimes licensed software will stop running after you reinstall. All sorts of problems can arise.

In situations when the problem is with a well known and well studied adware like this AV Antispyware Alert, there are better and simpler solutions to fix the computer than reinstalling the OS.

There are times and situations when reinstalling the OS makes sense but, based on what RicHeka has told us so far, this does not sound like one of them.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4570 Posts

Profile of Payne
After unning MalwareBytes, if you can, run a system restore. choose a time a few days before your machine was infected and then run Malware Bytes again.

This my not work in some cases as AV can destroy restore points, but it is worth a shot.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
I agree with Payne... I kept getting banner ads on the Café replaced by other ads...but the most annoying was the "You have won a free Nintendo Wii." It was driving me crazy, but malwarebytes' program was the only thing I found that took it off.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2009-04-28 16:59, Payne wrote:
This my not work in some cases as AV can destroy restore points, but it is worth a shot.

That's where the problem comes in - you try this, you try that, you run the anti-virus (a process which can take hours), then you restore, and you run it again (several more hours) ... you think you got it and then wham, blue screen of death! Headache after headache after headache. You could spend days even weeks and still not have a clean system.

So much easier to just re-install first. May not be the most "user friendly" option, but is considered the best option by many.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » AV Antispyware Alert pop ups (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL