The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Appearing Candle-How do you get more "Spring" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
Does anyone know how I can get more spring into my appearing candle so that it opens up faster?

I leave it open when I'm not using it and play around with it a lot, but it does not open that fast.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Try tightening the wind (increase the tension) when in the open/stored position. Plastic does have memory.

FWIW
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Along with Stanyon's advice, always clean the candle after playing with it. You don't want anything sticking on it and become stubborn stains later on. This can slow down the speed in some way.
stuartmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby England (UK)
240 Posts

Profile of stuartmagic
Matt,

After time appearing and vanishing candles and canes will lose a bit of their springyness , by the term after time I mean a couple of years or so with fairly constant use although they can last longer. The ones I own I have had for about 5 years and are still fully effective and working.

Appearing fantasio products should be stored open and vanishing ones closed. Simply get an elasticated hair brand ( a standard rubber band will mark the plastic eventually ) and for the appearing products stretch and open them out a bit more , about an inch, as you continue to tighten the tension by winding the coil of plastic, hope that makes sense, and then put the elasticated hair brand around the base so that it is kept stored fully open between performances. The opposite is done for a vanishing item. You will find that this helps prolong the life of the product.

If however, as in your case, the item has lost its speed to open or for a vanishing item only collapses half way here is what you need to do. With a candle take out the inards, ie the candle wick area . Now prepare the product as you would do if storing it, as detailed above. Fill the bottom of a bowl ( longer than the candle ) with boiling hot water and then carefully place the item in and make sure you put something , like a coth, on top to make sure it stays submerged under the water, make sure you don't burn yourself !!! , and now leave it alone until the water has gone cold. Remove it from the water and leave a couple of minutes to dry off, remove the hair brand and then finish the drying with a cloth being very careful not to damage the film. With a candle, replace the inards and you will now find that it is just like new again. The opposite is done for a vanishing item. For an appearing cane you will have to use the bath.

Hope this helps,

Stuart Brown
British Magical Champion
Of Stage Manipulation 2007
mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
Thanks for all of the help, I will try all of these ideas!

Matt
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
Try some silicon spray lubricant. Try it a a small section on the bottom of the candle make sure it doesn't mess up the color first.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Appearing Candle-How do you get more "Spring" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL