The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Swine flu--real threat or hype? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2009-04-28 00:48, daffydoug wrote:
I remember well the bird flu and all the hype. All I can say is that the boy has cried wolf one too many times for me.

While most people think the moral of that story is don't cry wolf ... I've always seen it as "always believe the boy crying wolf, as he might be right this time".

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Can't let fear stop the humor if we can manage. I mean are there Flu jokes of ANY kind ever? If there were some jokes last year, there had been 36,000 people dead.
So far US cases have been mild...no reason to knee jerk a PC response yet....actually there never is an excuse for that.

People are dead from EVERYTHING at one time or another.

Humor is like Lambs blood on the door.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
This is too serious to be a hype. The SIV strain isn't like all the other flu strains. Little is known about this strain.
Last I check 40 more people have died in Mexico and 5 new USA cases have been reported.
China and Cuba have banned flights to and from those countries.

The SIV strain may not be a big deal in the United States right now but for Mexico, most cities in Europe and all of China, this is a big deal since so many people live in crowded areas in those parts of the world.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Any comment from Ms Piggy?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Ibm_usa,
Don't think we're underestimating the threat- outside of Mexico, the US has more suspected cases than the rest of the world combined, so we've got a right to make it a big deal. In fact, they just confirmed two cases in my general area, and there's thirty cases being tested in my county now. Plus I've got a two-month old son to worry about.

However, the best way to be prepared is to be patient while the facts are gathered, and take known precautions to prevent the spread of the disease. I've got a large bottle of hand sanitizer on my desk right now. A sense of humor (even dark humor) may also keep things in perspective- it can certainly help prevent a panic. The economic cost of shutting down a city is very high, and not a step to be taken lightly or prematurely, especially given the fragile economic state of the nation. A nation-wide shut down from a flu panic would pretty much destroy what little economic recovery we've had so far- it certainly wouldn't help the consumer confidence index. (Though I guess we could still buy stuff online.)

So in short- don't panic, and don't be offended if some of us try to release a bit of tension by making light of it.

Jonathan- Ms "Mary" Piggy is, I believe, MIA, though I think Kermit was spotted in New York, wearing a surgical mask, and trying to buy a ticket to Madagascar...
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

My concerns are mostly that we don't have the diagnostic methods available to find out who needs treatment and instead we are fostering a panic. and panic is bad for most of us.

how are the stocks for the makers of tamiflu and relenza doing today?

why are folks making a panic out of such an unknown?

and since when to folks need to be told not to cough or sneeze on eachother?

:(

Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
There are 22 MILIION people cramed into Mexico City. hello?

Also interesing is that 'terrorism' was dismissed immediately...before anything was known. Some are talking of the 'strangness of the flu...studies are being mostly ignored as to weapons grade Virus' could turn up. Recently there was a call in the UK to eliminate 1/2 the population. All facinating things to look up and read about.

The stocks for Baxter are the ones to watch...they have an iffy (and deadly) record yet they are in on the mix.

It's all going to make for a good book regardless of the turn out.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Someone tells me that people are catching a respiratory illness from pigs and I'm thinking... gee that "kiss the pig" stuff must be popular somewhere... ewww.

Pandemics are a lousy way to motivate learning more about viruses.
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Apparently God always gives us signs of things to come,some good some poor.
This looks to me like it's poor sign related.
(I await the groans)
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

? what - not to kiss the pig till it's done wheezing?
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Poor sign.....porcine?
I give up.
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Quote:
On 2009-04-28 18:29, EsnRedshirt wrote:
Ibm_usa,
Don't think we're underestimating the threat- outside of Mexico, the US has more suspected cases than the rest of the world combined, so we've got a right to make it a big deal. In fact, they just confirmed two cases in my general area, and there's thirty cases being tested in my county now. Plus I've got a two-month old son to worry about.

However, the best way to be prepared is to be patient while the facts are gathered, and take known precautions to prevent the spread of the disease. I've got a large bottle of hand sanitizer on my desk right now. A sense of humor (even dark humor) may also keep things in perspective- it can certainly help prevent a panic. The economic cost of shutting down a city is very high, and not a step to be taken lightly or prematurely, especially given the fragile economic state of the nation. A nation-wide shut down from a flu panic would pretty much destroy what little economic recovery we've had so far- it certainly wouldn't help the consumer confidence index. (Though I guess we could still buy stuff online.)

So in short- don't panic, and don't be offended if some of us try to release a bit of tension by making light of it.

Jonathan- Ms "Mary" Piggy is, I believe, MIA, though I think Kermit was spotted in New York, wearing a surgical mask, and trying to buy a ticket to Madagascar...

Offended? Me? No way! I will be offended if people (doctors, goverment officials) give up on the seriousness of this virus. It has been said it is very contagious and there are no vaccinations for this strain available yet. All Im saying is that I will be offended if people let go of the facts and put a hault on finding a cure. If no cure is found, this could be the end of our species. If the SIV strain doesn't whip the human race out, a more evolved form of this strain will.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2009-04-28 21:25, ibm_usa wrote:
If no cure is found, this could be the end of our species. If the SIV strain doesn't whip the human race out, a more evolved form of this strain will.

I'll take the under.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Sorry my memory is bad. Someone name for me the last virus we found a cure for?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
C'mon Danny...you know...it was that one that didn't destroy us all.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-04-28 21:41, Dannydoyle wrote:

well norton antivirus seems to be doing okay for my pc

recombinant DNA rulz (okay actually RNA but folks are behind the learning curve)

"hey, don't sneeze on me bro!"
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Nice post danny, again. good point.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
1st American death from Swine Flu reported.

By the annual amortized numbers 16,000 are dead from regular old normal flu. (probably more since Flu season is over).
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
373 Posts

Profile of Bill
Quote:
On 2009-04-28 21:41, Dannydoyle wrote:

Polio? Not a cure, but it's pretty much wiped out.

About two weeks ago, I was reading the newspaper and turned to my wife and said "well, looks like people are getting bored with catastrophic economic news, wonder what the press will have to whip up next?" Well lo and behold.......
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Hysterical insanity is also a symptom of Sheeple Flu.
There's a catastrophy around every corner.

Danny Doyle's excellent question regarding a 'cured' Virus
can be replicated across a wide board of such sillyness...

"When was Carbon Dioxide determined a pollutant and not critical for plant life?"

Where were the howls of laughter when fat people were fingered for global climate disaster blame?

How can life get any more ridiculous and still be seriously discussed?

I always hated the Chicken Little syory...nothing's changed.

But that's just me. I'm sure Nanny will set me straight.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Swine flu--real threat or hype? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL