The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Balloon Hat sizing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I am trying to introduce balloon hats into a gig and I am trying to get proficient at making Patricia Bunnel's character hats from her "Twisted Critters" DVDs. I am using standard Qualatex 260s, but my hat bases are coming out too small. If I make the original ring big enough for a head (especially an adult's head) the tail makes an insufficient arch over to top to make an acceptable hat. I have been stretching the balloons, but they seem just too short. What am I doing wrong? Or do I need to add another balloon?
Steve Yarosko
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Steve Yarosko
A lot of Patricia's hat require a lot of stretching prior to twisting in order to complete the figure. She shows how she stretches her balloons on at least one of her videos. If you are making the hat for an adult, or just want to take the possibility of not having enough balloon, I would just add in another balloon as you suggested.

Steve
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
How do you inflate, I found when I used a hand pump my hat bases seemed smaller then when I started useing an electric pump and then when I changed to a filbert. The only time I must stretch a balloon for is the viking hat as I make it larger than a regular hat.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I have been using a hand pump for parctice, but I do intend to get a filbert.
Graham Lee
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Graham Lee
Have you tried the Sempertex/Betallic brand? as they are between 4/6 inches longer before even being stretched and then at least a foot longer once stretched as well
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Cold blowing is much of your problem. You only need 1/2 inch of tail for each twist. Stantard helmet hat you need less than an inch of tail. Warm blowing using your mouth opposed to a pump.

Stretch the balloon by runnning your hand down it tightly. Any moisture on your hand will result in a terrible screech. You can also pull the ends apart too. Dewey says there needs to be some heat to get a stretch.

Sizing tips, I always wear a bowler hat, I size it on my hat first. Small kids towards the top of the hat, adults closer to the brim.

If the hat is too large, put a bend in it. If it is too small try gently stretching it on the hat band portion.

In most of my creations I do not go ear to ear with the top of the hat, instead I picture the connections this way... like a clock face. So instead of going from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock I use a 3 o'clock to 12 o'clock.

BTW Graham, hung out with Anthony Owen the other day. Great guy!! He also likes your magic balloon act too.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Mark,

Thanks for your help.

I don't think I will be able to blow balloons up by mouth due to a health problem. I will try the filbert pump.

The top arch on Bunnell's hats do not go ear to ear, but do run from front to back. I don't believe that going from 3 o'clock to 12 o'clock is a viable option due to the construction/design considerations for Bunnell's hats.

I think I am leaning toward using an extra balloon.

0pus
fairby
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of fairby
Quote:
On 2009-04-28 12:46, Graham Lee wrote:
Have you tried the Sempertex/Betallic brand? as they are between 4/6 inches longer before even being stretched and then at least a foot longer once stretched as well

Yep good quality and you can give them some wellie !!!
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
"wellie?"

I am unfamiliar with the term. Does it have anything to do with Wellingtons?
Steve Yarosko
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Steve Yarosko
I think you are on the right track with the idea of tying in an extra balloon. You won't need to be worried about not having stretched the balloon enough. Also, you won't need to be worried about having enough balloon if the head that the hat is destined for is a bit larger.
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Grab both ends and PULL. I use a filbert and this helps but it can be done with a hand pump also, just show that balloon whos boss!
right now at my restrant gig I do nothing but hats. after a while you start to size by sight.

Also to big is funnie, to small is a problem. so streetch that balloon.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
fairby
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of fairby
Quote:
On 2009-04-29 14:29, 0pus wrote:
"wellie?"

I am unfamiliar with the term. Does it have anything to do with Wellingtons?

No. Wellie means you can be quite rough with this type of balloon as its strong and wont burst.
Graham Lee
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Graham Lee
Quote:
BTW Graham, hung out with Anthony Owen the other day. Great guy!! He also likes your magic balloon act too.

Glad he liked it, we did discuss doing some of it on the film magicians, but they decided to go with the balloon swollowing instead and then cut it out.
Scruffy the Clown
View Profile
Loyal user
Coldwater,MI
233 Posts

Profile of Scruffy the Clown
It also doesn't help that neither qualatex nor betalatex balloons are a true sixty inches in length. Go ahead, stretch the crap out of them and try it. Please let me know if anyone can get either one to sixty inches in length.

Gala Balloons are CONSISTENTLY sixty inches, but they don't seem to have the consistency of Q or B. They are also sold by the gross ( 144 per bag). But, I have never found them in anything other than an assortment.

The only thing I can suggest is that you make the hat ring, tie and tear off the excess and then using a new balloon, put the top piece on, tie and tear off the excess.
Graham Lee
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Graham Lee
I just inflated a sempertex/betallatex to over 66 inches with no trouble at all.
Pre stretched it twice and then one stretch when inflated.
Scruffy the Clown
View Profile
Loyal user
Coldwater,MI
233 Posts

Congrats. I have pulled the living $*&^ out of the ones I have and cannot make 60 inches. I stretch them the full span of my arms.
Graham Lee
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Graham Lee
I think my pre stretch and yours are different. You need to hold the balloon between your thumb and index finger and with your other hand pull the balloon through your fingers while exerting pressure onto the balloon. This will get you between 4/6 inches more length on the ballloon when inflated, by just holding either end of the balloon in each hand and stretching your arms out will not do anything at all to the balloon.
Scruffy the Clown
View Profile
Loyal user
Coldwater,MI
233 Posts

Thank you for the tip, Graham. I've never seen a balloon stretched in such a manner, But I'll do it. Anything is worth a shot
Cheers,
Scruffy
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
You could always get one of the Swedish pumps to help you out : )

Yeah Baby!!!
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Picard_1114
View Profile
New user
New York
76 Posts

Profile of Picard_1114
Those don't work!

Uhh, a friend of mine told me .. yeah, that's it, a friend of mine.

I swear that's not mine, Baby. I don't know where you ever got that idea.

Honestly!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Balloon Hat sizing (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL