We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Do it yourself sound? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris LaBarge
View Profile
Regular user
Upstate New York
134 Posts

Profile of Chris LaBarge
I know PA systems have been discussed to death in some of the topics in this forum...everybody talks about PD-150 this and MiPro that...what I want to know is if anybody has put their own little system together buying separate speakers, amp, and mic? What are the downfalls? If you are just starting out with sound could a guitar amp and a mic do the job? Downfalls?

Truth be told I am not at the point where I can afford, or need, something like the passport or other expensive all in one systems. I do libraries, BD, and a few school shows. I need something inexpensive and can cover 100 people or so in an audience.

Fire away!!!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7494 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Chris -

A "starter" PA System doesn't have to be expensive. Here's one for less than $175 U.S. (including S&H), good for smaller shows -- daycares, libraries, birthdays, small schools, etc.:

http://www.bhappie.com/sound/

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5711 Posts

Profile of Regan
Chris, if you put a PA system together by buy seperate components you will most likely pay more. The other downfall is that it is more difficult to transport and setup/teardown. I have a large PA system that I put together, and I love it. However it is not practical for my normal shows. I only use it at the big ones.

I personally would not get a guitar amp for a microphone. Tubes amps especially are not designed for microphone use. Microphones may sound ok through some of the newer, solid-state amps, and some acoustic guitar amplifiers even have dedicated microphone input(s). However, a PA system is much better since you can get your speakers up high and spread wide for great stereo sound, and it is designed for the things you will need it to do.

Remember, someday you may need inputs for mics/wireless mics and a CD player (or similar).

Good luck with whatever you decide to get!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3726 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Anchor products! I love 'em. I do have a component sound system for bigger shows, however. My Peavey MP4 mixer/amp will cover 1000 people at a mall, but my Anchor Explorer Pro is the best, and has the wireless mic reciever built in. I do think they make smaller and less expensive things, too.

You do get what you pay for, however.

Steve
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5711 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2009-04-28 18:50, Stevethomas wrote:
Anchor products! I love 'em. I do have a component sound system for bigger shows, however. My Peavey MP4 mixer/amp will cover 1000 people at a mall, but my Anchor Explorer Pro is the best, and has the wireless mic reciever built in. I do think they make smaller and less expensive things, too.

You do get what you pay for, however.

Steve

Very true, Steve. And sometimes you pay for what you get too!
Mister Mystery
Chris LaBarge
View Profile
Regular user
Upstate New York
134 Posts

Profile of Chris LaBarge
Thanks for the tips guys...I will look into that bhappie system,,,any reviews on it around? I couldn't find any (didn't get a chance to look to hard).
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5842 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Another option is a decent starter system, that's highly portable. I'm considering one of these, before too long, for small gigs. http://www.dak.com/Reviews/3010story.cfm
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7494 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2009-04-30 08:36, Chris LaBarge wrote:
Thanks for the tips guys...I will look into that bhappie system,,,any reviews on it around? I couldn't find any (didn't get a chance to look to hard).

There are 10 testimonials for it, on the website. One of those is a review from M-U-M, and one of those is a review from Christian Conjurer.

I like the fact that Jim Kleefeld, Bruce Bray, John Carlson and David Kaye all seem to like it.

- Donald
Chris LaBarge
View Profile
Regular user
Upstate New York
134 Posts

Profile of Chris LaBarge
The NADY system looks good and is definitly the right price...
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7494 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Keep in mind that the NADY system is 20 watts and the BHappie system is 50 watts.

BTW, do a little bit of searching here at the Café in the F/X area, and you'll find a link that Brian (BHappie) shared, where you pay no shipping.

- Donald

P.S. I found a post here at the Café where someone talked about using the BHappie System (aside from Brian himself).
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5842 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2009-04-30 14:30, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Keep in mind that the NADY system is 20 watts and the BHappie system is 50 watts.

The BHappie system is rated at 25 watts RMS. The 50 watts is peak power. http://www.gtdaudio.net/product_info.php......ts_id=29

It still looks like a nice system. I would consider getting one. I just have to find out what direction the FCC will take when frequencies become available in June. For all I know, some wireless mikes will become obsolete, when frequencies are reassigned.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7494 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Thanks, Alan.

- Donald
Mark McDermott
View Profile
Regular user
Union Mills, IN
111 Posts

Profile of Mark McDermott
I have the Nady-120 and it is awesome with wireless mic. of your choice delivered $ 115.00. weighs 6 lbs.

All the best, Mark
Chris LaBarge
View Profile
Regular user
Upstate New York
134 Posts

Profile of Chris LaBarge
Mark,

Thanks for the input.

Price is the most important factor at this point so I am not sure what I am going to do.
Mark McDermott
View Profile
Regular user
Union Mills, IN
111 Posts

Profile of Mark McDermott
Chris,
I got mine from DAK.com

All the best, Mark
Chris LaBarge
View Profile
Regular user
Upstate New York
134 Posts

Profile of Chris LaBarge
After looking at everything I will probably spend the little extra money on the BHappie system...it seems it has more to offer; more power , more mics, and its well supported by the magic community. Now comes convicing the boss (my wife) to let me spend the money!
Chris LaBarge
View Profile
Regular user
Upstate New York
134 Posts

Profile of Chris LaBarge
THanks for the help!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Do it yourself sound? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL