The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » 2009 Golden Gate Gathering (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
fmpilot
View Profile
Loyal user
of a fence with
243 Posts

Profile of fmpilot
What an experience the GGG was for me! I learned so much from lecturers and attendees alike. Thank you Dorian, Theron, Dave, and Kent for such a great gathering. All the lecturers were fantastic and I was especially impressed with Steve Dobson who, despite having a rough day, most definitely delivered the goods.

Steve Brooks, glad I got to meet you and personally thank you for The Magic Café.
Mickey, thanks for the "bait" and the riffle work.
Ken, thanks for rekindling an interest in Bobo.
Theron, I'll show you a trick next year.
...and Gaddy, you can sit in front of me next year Smile

Fran
"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Steve,

It was a relief to find another ex Canoe Club member among all the Zoomies, Grunts and Dogfaces, great stories man!

Fran,

That was some AWESOME bait! Ya know it's gonna be the real deal when there were maybe 5 gringo's and the rest of the clientele were of Asian persuasion! Ya gotta make it out again next year buddy!

MMc
Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Bay Area, Northern California USA
255 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
If there was ever a good reason to stay up until the wee hrs for several days then this was it. What an incredible gathering of lecturers and magicians!

Miles: It was great to share the experience with someone with so much enthusiasm for the art. Thanks for sharing that incredible think of a card trick with me. You make it look so easy. I hope you enjoy some of the things I shared with you.

Fran: Notice I left out the IS. That was great coin and card work we did. Above all else thanks for making me laugh my a** off. Looking forward to seeing you next yr.

Tom Frame: Just want you to know I've figured out your little twisted card trick.

Calvin: Thanks for performing some incredible coin work. Let's not forget the equally good rubber band and ring effect.

Kent: Thanks for sharing some great coin vanishes from Bobo's that somehow I've missed. Above all, thanks for cleaning my half dollar with YOUR MOUTH! I'll never forget that.

Steve Dobson: Thanks for the hospitality and the beer. You're quite the gentleman and magician. Best of luck.

David Neighbors: One word, GENIUS, and thanks for sharing it.

Steve Brooks (aka Mr. Cool): Who'd thought you'd turn out to be such a cool, easy going, very funny guy. I wish you much success.

Last but not least,
Mike Peterson: It was great to finally meet you! It wouldn't have been the same without you. Thanks for sharing your vast knowledge and big box of tricks. Next year I'll have more to show you, but hopefully we can get together sooner. I really regret not milking that last card effect for 1 more deal, but it was 5am. I hope you enjoyed it.

and finally, Thank You! Dorian, Dave, Theron, and Kent for putting together this incredible event. For those who didn't make it to this year's - you can't miss the next one!

Ken
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3390 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Does anyone here have good notes on that "Copper Silver Brass" routine that Bob Kohler tipped? That one was unpublished (I think) and my memory is getting fuzzy...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Gaddy,

The genesis of that routine is in Coin Magic by Richard Kaufman. It's called CopSilBrass. I'd look around page 148. It's in the Latta section.

KG
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Wow, where to start?
Dorian, Theron, Dave, and Kent, thank you guys for getting this thing together, best convention ever(except the problems with the Nazis Smile )

Ken, it was great getting to meet you & exchange ideas.Thanks for not keeping me up past 5 messing with me & giving me the work on the effect.

Steve Brooks, I recorded you snoring this year so that I can finally quit hurting myself imitating you while explaining what it sounds like to people (thanks for everything Smile)

Calvin, you rock man! Awesome coin work & a snappy dresser(not sure about the driving skills though lol )

Tom Cutts, always a pleasure to see you my handsome friend( we need to avoid elevator rides with Brooks next time).

Tom Frame, all I can say is thank you for all your help & for completely frying my brain as usual. You are one of my favorites, love how your mind works!

Roman, THE coolest kid I have ever met! Wise beyond his 15 years & a voice that would make Eugene Burger envious.

Howard Hamburg, fantastic lecture & the lecture book(it would be an insult to call this little masterpiece "notes")& 13. Astounding magic, reputation makers that I want to keep to myself.

Steve Dobson, incredibly amazing & helpful as usual.I would say he is THE nicest guy in magic.

Jay(your an animal, good for you Bob Kohler was there to save your eyesight), Daniel(good luck on your cross country busking adventure, I can't wait to hear about it),Kim(BEAUTIFUL magic,made me want to give up doing anything magic related ever again, it was so beautiful.

To all the lecturers & everyone else, thanks for helping make this such a great experience!

I know next year will be even better.

Mike
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3390 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-06-16 11:33, kentfgunn wrote:
Gaddy,

The genesis of that routine is in Coin Magic by Richard Kaufman. It's called CopSilBrass. I'd look around page 148. It's in the Latta section.

KG

Thank you Kent!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Gaddy,

I did not give you the best reference for that routine. I looked it up in the book. Kohler has a set of lecture notes called, Tap. His website should be up in a couple of days. He has the notes in stock. Kohler's routine is based on Latta's it has some huge changes.

KG
semo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, CA
300 Posts

Profile of semo
Kent, Dorian, Theron, Dave,

I just wanted to say that you guys (and hopefully I didn't miss anyone major) just did an awesome job organizing, talent scouting, negotiating, operating, and making this conference go as smooth as possible. Most glitches (if any) were handled invisibly, almost as well as Theron's clipshift. Thanks once again for organizing and running a great experience for us. The lecturers were second to none this year. You guys rock.

I also appreciate the opportunity you gave me to perform as well. It's great to show that West Coast magic is not ONLY cards and coins!

Scott
Scott Emo, co-creator of Fenced In Illusion - There's nothing better than breaking free!

And creator of Sacred - The Child Conjuring Illusion - Because there is nothing more magical than the creation of a child.

Find them at: http://www.masterofillusions.ca/
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
709 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
GGG was a great experience. Thanks to Kent, Dave, Theron, and Dorian for planning and executing this event.

David Neighbors, it was great to finally meet the man whom I have been conversing over the internet for so long. Your coin magic blew me away!

Ken (Wing), it was great meeting you and talking magic and martial arts, 2 of the many loves in my life (not you, the magic and martial arts) Smile

Steve Silverman, if you are out there, thanks for inspiring me.

Will, thanks for giving us the Magic Garage! I will see you there this week.

Michael Peterson......what happened to the long hair? I needed to borrow some for my eye brow extensions. It was great seeing you again...still performing Magic at 5AM Sunday morning. Yeah, that lane change really must have scared you....heh heh heh.

Steve Brooks, I must say that I greatly enjoyed our discussions over breakfast from 2AM to 6AM. We need to make this a GGG tradition! You are a talented person with a passion for the many initiatives in your life. Your passion inspires me. Thanks for finding my long lost Magic Café ID, but most of all thanks for the camaraderie.
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
IBM Ring 216 Silicon Valley
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3390 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-06-16 17:19, kentfgunn wrote:
Gaddy,

I did not give you the best reference for that routine. I looked it up in the book. Kohler has a set of lecture notes called, Tap. His website should be up in a couple of days. He has the notes in stock. Kohler's routine is based on Latta's it has some huge changes.

KG

good to know --as the Kaufmann book is out of print at the moment anyhow!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3390 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-06-16 22:20, Calvin Tong wrote:
GGG was a great experience. Thanks to Kent, Dave, Theron, and Dorian for planning and executing this event.

Ken (Wing), it was great meeting you and talking magic and martial arts, 2 of the many loves in my life (not you, the magic and martial arts) Smile

I thought you two were gonna throw-down in the lecture hall at one point!
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Gaddy,

Coin Magic is available from its author right now. He's have a 3 for 2 sale as well.

http://geniimagazine.com/kaufman/store/html/6.html

KG
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4901 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hay Gaddy,
If you are looking for even more work on it. I had an International Coins Across/ Change routine That Had it's Roots in Latta's Routine! In my Infinity Notes!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Bay Area, Northern California USA
255 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
Quote:
On 2009-06-18 04:01, gaddy wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-06-16 22:20, Calvin Tong wrote:

I thought you two were gonna throw-down in the lecture hall at one point!

Gaddy,
I guess that's what happens when 2 people who are passionate about something have totally opposite views. Sometimes we just have to agree to disagree. Anyways, are you recovered from your carding lashing yet? Get any paper cuts? Maybe Calvin and I should have taught you some self defense against cards. You're a good sport. I didn't have much chance to talk to you during the convention except when we were rendered speechless by David Neighbors. Maybe next year. Best,
Ken
semo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, CA
300 Posts

Profile of semo
I know that Kent and gang's evil minds must be working on(or at least thinking about) what may become the 4th GGG. Any concepts or dates in mind that you guys would like to share?

Will there be another? ... Who will the lectures be next year? ... What Hotel? ... Will we invite the evil Vicotria Secret model pretending to be hotel management to join us again? ... Let the rumors begin!
Scott Emo, co-creator of Fenced In Illusion - There's nothing better than breaking free!

And creator of Sacred - The Child Conjuring Illusion - Because there is nothing more magical than the creation of a child.

Find them at: http://www.masterofillusions.ca/
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3754 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Please - NOT Olga and her KGB crew, I'm not sure I could take too much more of that nonsense. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
In the year 2010
We'll do it again.

Scott will Magish
We'll not invite Bish.

We're bringin' back Neigh-bors
Just for sessioning chores.

We'll bid the hotel adieu
And move on to a venue new.

Rhyming is fun
For now, I'm done.

K G
(That's me)
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4901 Posts

HAY Your A poet and didn't kown it! Maybe some day your Show it!!!! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4901 Posts

WHAT !!! No more Poet's??? Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » 2009 Golden Gate Gathering (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL