The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Review: Cameron Francis 18 ebook (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2564 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hi all,

I was one of the ones chosen to review this so here it goes:

We all know Cameron Francis from his DVDs he has put out, to his effects like
Snapped and Rehab.

I am a fan of his work, and so I read his new offering 18.

This is a very good magic/mentalism plot that is easy, and allows the performer room to concentrate on presentation.

I like this ebook very much as it is much a prediction type effect with cards.

When he releases this don't hesitate to pick this up immediately.

I will be using this.

Its always the simpler effects that people can relate to!

Thanks

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
What about set-up?
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
If I'm not mistaken, it resets itself and is totally self working - where you to see it performed you would wonder how that could ever be possible! But, it IS self working and utterly impossible to re-construct.

Dave.
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
I also received and even though this is not really my style I did like this a lot

Also a big fan of Cameron Francis

As Alex says it is a simple effect and I believe the strolling performer will like this a lot

Hard hitting

Don
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1800 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Cameron Francis’ doesn’t look a day over "18!"

Well well well. I recently saw on http://www.Full52.com that Mr Francis and Mr Forrest are releasing a combined DVD which will hold some truly awesome material. My mind instantly switched to “I must have this!.” So imagine my delight when I see that one of the effects featured on the DVD now ready for learning at a moment’s notice! However, it’s awful, not worth buying...

...Only Joking! Truth is, I want this to myself entirely!

This is absolutely awesome! The effect is just such an awesome effect. Magic that is completely controlled by the spectator, that seems completely uncontrollable and yet your able to pull of this incredible display, is always a good effect. This is better than most. I thought the effect was awesome... but then I saw the method. Absolutely genius, So simple and yet so workable. Everything about the routine just... works! I thought the effect would involve remembering some complex memory work and well, lots of tom foolery. When in fact, this is so easy to do it will take minutes to make and master.

So what do you get?

The PDF is 9 pages long with incredibly detailed scripting, routine, making of the effect and presentational idea’s as well as photos and bonus ideas on how to perform. Everything is very nicely laid out and easy to follow.
The effect is so unbelievably commercial that I will be performing this in my close up sets straight away (in fact it’s in my hand as we speak). The reactions from the spectators are delayed shock and disbelief. When they weigh up that you never touched the deck, they done it all and everything was undoubtedly fair, they have that completely stunned face.

Just to top it of, he’s thrown us in a freebee! “18” is worth everything on it’s own but now we see he’s given us another awesome little gem. Let just say, if you like diary effects... you’ll love this!

Overall, 18 is another fantastic effect. Well thought out, easy to make, perform and fit into most any repertoire. One of the best Instant Downloads so far this year.

Mr Francis has created an absolute ‘in the spectator’s hands’ miracle which gets jaw dropping, face slapping, tongue dripping reactions! You have to get this!

Best Wishes,

Jamie Daws
TORCE - VMRS - DARK SERIES
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
Now that's a review, wish I wrote it..LOl..
I forgot all about the great freebie that was included

I honestly can say you can't go wrong with this

Don
Astrocity
View Profile
Special user
523 Posts

Profile of Astrocity
I was also someone Cameron was kind enough to send a review copy of his latest effect "18". As a Magician who performs walk around on an almost weekly basis, I can tell you that this is one I will be trying out next weekend. It's got all the elements you want in a Close-Up effect, strong audience participation, the Magic happens in the spectator's hands, AND they end up with your business card as a souvenir! The plot is that the spectator randomly comes up with three numbers to add up that can be revealed in several creative ways. Since the place where I work regularly has tables of people, from 2-4 per table, I'm probably going to use 3 spectators at the table to come up with the three "random" numbers. This does two things, it involves the whole table, and it makes it appear even more random since more than one person come up with the numbers.

Cameron has also added a Bonus Variant Effect called "Word-A-Day" which is a super easy take on the daily diary/calendar effect. Its mechanics are the same as "18" with a change for the reveal using the diary. It's a great take on the principles of the effect and gives it a whole new spin.

Well done Cameron. For those of you who perform professionally, this one is a definite. It's different, easy, has a lot of room for your spin on the performance and the type of reveal, and leaves them with a business card in their hand which is ALWAYS a good thing. Another winner from Cameron Francis…

Thanks,
Hank
Hank Morfin
http://www.MorfinMagic.com
Hank Morfin Rocks!
Suux88
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of Suux88
I want to say I received a copy, but will give a NON-BIAS opinion about it after I try it out first,
be sure to check out my review in the near future after I try it out in a routine.

So far looks promising
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

Suux88, please do give it a try. I think you will like it.

Oh, and yes, it does instantly reset. Also, other numbers can be predicted besides 18. It's just the number I chose to use. Many more possibilities.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
This would make a nice formal close up piece. A real fooler.

John
Suux88
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of Suux88
As I promised, I wanted to try this out in the real world before I posted a review.
I want to thank Cameron for sharing this with me.

After watching the whole effect on the demo, it's hard not to judge a book by it's cover after seeing it through the eyes of a magician; so I wasn't too floored/excited. However, I did go out and try this for lay people and it's a devastating prediction that left the spectators reacting, speechless, then boggled and dumbfound.
-Everything happens in their hands, after a completely free choice!. They deal the cards, they turn over the cards, they add, they reveal
They flip out when some magical words appear on a card (because they have been seeing backs the whole time), and double flip when they reveal 18 on the card box.
Don't let the demo deter you if you are judging with the eyes of a magician.

I was also not excited when Cameron demoed only presenting about 10 cards to choose from... talk about a free selection.
- When I read the explanation, I was excited, it's honestly a free selection of WAY more than 10, don't let the demo mislead you in a 10 card force or so.
- This is where I think Cameron may have sold himself a little short only presenting ~10 cards and could have really showed the potential of this gem in the demo by spreading out more cards and showing an initial FREE choice of MANY MANY CARDS.
- So those of you on the fence about this aspect of the demo, HOP OVER!

Some other pros apart from the great prediction plote include
-great stack plot which will open opportunities to more than this trick
-completely hands off
-instant reset
-IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THE NUMBER 18!
-they literally have a FREE choice
-self working
-let's you focus on presentation (zero sleight of hand)

Cons
-Not completely examinable, can spread fan and ribbon spread very fairly/cleanly however (again, since it's been in their hands, and they see all backs during the trick, they have yet to ask to examine the deck because everything was so FAIR)
-I felt it was a tedious set-up (not hard) (once you are set-up no more changes need to be made)
-One deck, one miracle.

You also get a bonus effect for to predict a word in a calendar/diary which may suit a mentalist better.

Again don't let the demo fool you, pick this up for 10$ because it's a complete steal!

Chris
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Hey, Chris, thank you! It's funny, I didn't realize that I only spread over about ten cards or so in the demo. You really can spread over much more!
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Astrocity
View Profile
Special user
523 Posts

Profile of Astrocity
Well,
I had a Gig last Thursday night and a Gig last Friday night and I used "18" at both Gigs. It played very well, although I used the back of the card as the reveal rather than the box. I chose that simply because I knew that at one gig I would be performing in the spectator's hands without any tables or places around to set down the box. I found that it was just cleaner with everything going on in the hands already with the counting out of cards, etc. I got some really strong reactions from it and really no negative feedback at all. It's clean and strong, this one is a worker that I have added to my walk around set. I've put together a "Turn Over The Box" set as well and I will perform it both ways, depending on the venue.

I will make one comment. I originally started doing it without "the shuffle" at the beginning but then I started doing the shuffle and I feel it's important to the psychology of the effect. What I mean is that by doing "the shuffle", you are impressing in the minds of the spectators that they are seeing the backs of the whole deck without pointing it out. I did not want to use it originally because I was concerned about losing my place while talking and shuffling. I decided to use a locator and incorporate into my patter turning a card face up after the shuffle, thus making sure I was where I needed to be.

Last thing, I found that using multiple people worked really well. Use one person to pick the first card, hand the deck off to someone else in the group for the first deal, and then to another for the last deal. That way, you have not touched the deck since you began and it adds to the random aspect of it all with several people helping you arrive at a number.

Thanks again Cameron,
Hank
Hank Morfin
http://www.MorfinMagic.com
Hank Morfin Rocks!
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Hank, thank you so much.

I feel the shuffle is important, too and for the exact same reason that you pointed out. I was originally looking for other ways to make the reset automatic. But then I realized that the shuffle is a very important part of the overall effect. Again, you don't have to do it, but t I would suggest it.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

A few have asked so I thought I'd post here: the bonus effect in the pdf is not going to be on the Forrest/Francis project. The bonus effect is another application for the principles used in 18. Although I'm sure many of you will come up with loads of other effects.
Stefmagic
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Stefmagic
Did Francis Cameron gived credit and/or inspiration behind 18 ? I read somewhere else that no credit was giving!
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

I do give credit to Leo Horowitz for one of the principles behind it. As far as inspiration, I came up with the effect after Dave Forrest suggested a plot. I go over this on the dvd and in the ebook.

I am not aware of another effect exactly like it and neither was anyone else I showed the effect to. Where did you read this?
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Just watched the segment on the dvd again to confirm it. I clearly state that to the best of my knowledge, the second principle was published by Leo Horowitz. I also say that I don't know who discovered the first principle. I've also asked around and no one I talked to knew either. And if these two principles have been used in conjunction before, I am unaware of it.

If I made an error, it was purely an accident. But making an attempt to credit and not crediting at all are two completely different things. So whoever said I didn't credit is wrong. I did credit. If it's incorrect, that is another matter. I would love to know who discovered the first principle in the effect.
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
Cameron, thought you might be interested: the basic concept and effect can be found in "The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley" - Vol.2, pg.171 entitled "Sum Talk of Alexander".

Elmsley's version is a little more elongated, and the prediction is different each time, based on a simple decision at one point during the effect, not determined by the set-up itself. Elmsley credits Alexander F. Kraus with the basic principle, with additions by Max Katz and Tom Ransom.

The advantage to your routine is that it is faster in procedure, and the message that "appears" on the first selection comes as a surprise. There is no message on a card in Elmsley's routine.

You should definitely check it out, it's a delightful little piece.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Thank you for the info. I am not familiar with the Elmsley effect.

However, if the prediction is different each time and is not determined by the set up, then how similar is it to 18? The effect in 18 is all about the set up. Are both math principles in 18 the same as the Elmsley effect?

Thanks for your help.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Review: Cameron Francis 18 ebook (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL