We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Kranzo's "Diction" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
I like Diction. Nice demo.
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2833 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Thank you sir!

I just sent one to a mentalist performing in Japan. He uses it for American tourists. Starts by using it as a gag...when they say hello or try and speak to him he pulls it out, holds up his hand as if to say "hold on a sec", and starts manically flipping through the dictionary....

GREAT gag....then followed up by a power punch to the brain.

All the best,

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2833 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Dan Garrett was kind enough to point out that there are some great bits in the most recent Genii magazine that can be combined with Diction. Just a heads up.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Anyone already make that leap and try it? : )

All the best,

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1056 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I love this Nate! The performer could pretend he/she is a Russian mentalist who does not speak english - using a thick accent and broken english - Go into the effect.... after you read the spectators mind, thumb through the entire dictionary as if you're reading it... then start speaking perfect english as if you memorized the entire dictionary.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
Quote:
On 2009-08-31 16:09, Nathan Kranzo wrote:
Dan Garrett was kind enough to point out that there are some great bits in the most recent Genii magazine that can be combined with Diction. Just a heads up.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Anyone already make that leap and try it? : )

All the best,

Kranzo

Talk about your Dictionary-Faro-Shuffle!?!?

Ummmm, I love my Diction but I wasn't crazy about either of the effects in GENII. But honestly, I did not try them. They just didn't blow my skirt up.
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2833 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
I thought the idea of the card shuffle/dictionary was very interesting but the thing I liked the most was the gag of introducing the Dictionary. This can be used along with Diction. Gags like that are priceless to me! I'm goofy.

"They just didn't blow my skirt up."

LOL!

I love that line....can I use it?

Later,

Kranzo

KranzoMagic.com
DanGarrett
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
169 Posts

Profile of DanGarrett
Nate, here's a line you can use also...

"If you don't buy Diction, you'll never be able to sleep with yourself again."
Dan Garrett
www.dangarrettmagic.com
SAM National President 1994-1995
MIMC with Gold Star - London
email request to dangarrett@aol.com to receive a free catalog
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2833 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
LOL Dan!

Quote:
On 2009-09-01 20:14, Mediocre the Great wrote:
I love this Nate! The performer could pretend he/she is a Russian mentalist who does not speak english - using a thick accent and broken english - Go into the effect.... after you read the spectators mind, thumb through the entire dictionary as if you're reading it... then start speaking perfect english as if you memorized the entire dictionary.

Another great gag!

Thanks for sharing this...

Later,

Kranzo

KranzoMagic.com
hboy
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of hboy
I sounds a great book test trick, but could it be performed instantly or need to reset after each end?
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Hboy,

There is neither any "set" nor "reset" required. It can be done "instantly" any place and at any time. All you need is the dictionary (provided) and instructions. BTW, the dictionary involved is readily available at Staples, Kinkos and other similar locations for only a couple of dollars so you could buy several copies and give it away after you perform it if desired.
Dick Christian
john5d
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of john5d
Quote:
On 2009-05-01 05:51, baggins321 wrote:
What exactly is meant by two word revelations? Does that mean if a random person says page 42 you can name two words that are on the page? If so then no thanks. that's just a memory feat. However if the person can name any random page out loud, go to that page, and choose any word and think of it, and you can reveal their word, I'm interested.

Yea I am kind of confused too. So you can't predict the chosen word but 2 words in the page with similar meaning?

Also one mentioned that you can't do this with borrowed book or magazine but someone also said you can go to library and pick any dictionary and do this. I am confused.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
For those who either haven't read or don't understand the descriptions of Kranzo's "Diction" that have been given on this thread so far, let me reiterate.

1) a genuine pocket dictionary is used (and is provided, along with detailed instructions and everything required to perform the effect)

2) a page number is fairly chosen through the random participation of either one or two spectators

3) a spectator opens the dictionary to the chosen page

4) the performer is able to reveal either (or both) of two of the words that are found on that page (and/or their definitions if desired)

5) the performer never needs to handle the dictionary, nor does he have to watch or see the actions of the participating spectator

If you need to have a more detailed explanation, perhaps you should buy the effect. It is very reasonably priced.

BTW, I have no financial interest in the matter but am getting tired of newbies trying to have someone reveal the detailed workings to them so they can figure it out without having to buy it. Anyone with an adequate understanding of booktests can figure it out from the information already given. Those who may actually have occasion to perform it -- and have the requisite skills and experience to do so -- should buy it. The merely curious should find another hobby.
Dick Christian
john5d
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of john5d
Quote:
On 2009-09-29 16:03, Dick Christian wrote:
For those who either haven't read or don't understand the descriptions of Kranzo's "Diction" that have been given on this thread so far, let me reiterate.

1) a genuine pocket dictionary is used (and is provided, along with detailed instructions and everything required to perform the effect)

2) a page number is fairly chosen through the random participation of either one or two spectators

3) a spectator opens the dictionary to the chosen page

4) the performer is able to reveal either (or both) of two of the words that are found on that page (and/or their definitions if desired)

5) the performer never needs to handle the dictionary, nor does he have to watch or see the actions of the participating spectator

If you need to have a more detailed explanation, perhaps you should buy the effect. It is very reasonably priced.

BTW, I have no financial interest in the matter but am getting tired of newbies trying to have someone reveal the detailed workings to them so they can figure it out without having to buy it. Anyone with an adequate understanding of booktests can figure it out from the information already given. Those who may actually have occasion to perform it -- and have the requisite skills and experience to do so -- should buy it. The merely curious should find another hobby.

No one forced you to read it if you are sick and tired of simple questions.
I asked 2 simple questions and you wrote everything that's already been said without answering the questions. Why bother?
I am sick and tried of people who think are GOD. Having a bad day?
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2336 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On 2009-09-29 16:03, Dick Christian wrote:

Dick I love your analysis. This is true for all of magic. Learn or get out. Pay your dues.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
Thanks Dick for a great explanation of how Diction works without any give-aways. Snoopy magicians can take their fishing expeditions elsewhere Smile
I bought my Diction and am very happy with it. Simple, easy, and mind blowing!
marcuk
View Profile
New user
Sheffield
2 Posts

Profile of marcuk
Just want to add ive had this for a while now and love it and use it all the time
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
I find it to be the perfect walkaround effect, couldn't be any happier with this.

Daren
Twitter @darjames
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I have had Diction for some time now and love it very much. This thing is too simple to perform and I am a lousy performer. I am convinced that my Memory is the worst on the planet, forgetting things all the time, but Diction is so simple that memory is no requirement. Just don't forget to ask for the book back.

Some people do believe that I memorized 35,000 words, wow I wish I could, then I would probably be a very wealthy man. Is it possible for anyone to memorize 35,000 words?

If you don't have diction it's your lost!
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7334 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I just don't like the obvious page number restriction.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I am no expert on Book Test, mentalism, or magic just someone that dabbles in magic once in a while. Hopefully what I am about to say makes sense to everyone because I am lousy with words, so don't judge me too hard.

I have used a book test where there are two spectators and myself involved with three books. This book test was a little suspicious to the spectators because I guess they sense that they were being forced to choose the page. Maybe my way of handling this routine was done very badly. I have decided to discontinue with this book test.

I have Outlaw book test and have not used some of them. Some of them I still have no idea on how to present them or what they are about and there is memory involved. These book test require some serious thinking and acting behind the routine, just a lot more work to make them work. Many of you may be good with acting as a mentalist, but something that is a challenge for me.

Diction does not require memory or hard-core mentalism acting like Outlaw products, which makes it more fun for me to perform. It is the perfect training tool for me into the field of Mentalism.

Anyway, I think the page number situation makes it more fun by getting the spectator more physically and mentally involved. Since I am Hearing Impaired I am used to Sign Language and being physically up closed to people. Believe it or not people like using their fingers which I think works great for diction. Making them chose a page by using their fingers can be fun and helps build up the routine. I think it makes it LESS suspicious by using their fingers to choose a page.

I am about to receive another book test from Black Magic where the spectator can choose any page they want without any forces. This will be a whole new experience for me because I won't be able to get them physically involved and might make them more suspicious that there is something too easy for the performer. Not sure I know how to explain this correctly, just a gut feeling. I guess I will have to wait for the book to arrive and take it out for a test drive before I judge it.

Outlaw products are fantastic, but it requires you as a performer to become something more of what that product is about. I feel that there has to be a whole new Persona to deal with Outlaw products, something more like a trained actor. Diction can be for anyone who can be themselves without this strange persona. I feel Diction is a better product for someone starting out in Mentalism to help train them into developing that persona with no fear of messing up the routine. The more experience I get with Diction the better I get and maybe one day I will have enough experience to handle Outlaw products.

Since there are no Mentalism DVDs with Closed-Captioning or Subtitling I have absolutely no idea what is being said. Therefore I am so far behind in developing good mentalism skills or performing skills in general. I am very angry with these producer's refusal to include Closed-Captioning/Subtitling, so I am forced to learn on my own. This may be a good thing, but it could also be a bad thing because I maybe developing bad habits as a performer.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Kranzo's "Diction" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL