The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What is the best Magicians Wax (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kelt76
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of kelt76
I just got the float fx kit from Ellusions for $15. I looked at different starter packs online and bought this one cause it was cheapest.

Float FX comes with a huge roll of yarn, which is 70 individual invisible threads wound up. It's pretty easy to pull the pieces out of it. I'm sure there is better thread out their, but I'm pretty satisfied with it.

The part I'm not to sure about is the wax you get. It's basically putty. First off you get very little. I can tell I'll have most of the thread left after the putty is long gone. Second, they sticks out like a sore thumb.

Ellusions is selling one of their cool decks for half off which I ordered some packs today. They have little jars of wax that they have on clearance, called Micheal Ammar Wax, so I through a jar onto my order. I'm hoping I will like that stuff better. I also got a five pack of invisible thread loops for $10.

What is the best wax to get, in terms of most discreet in color and comes in a decent quantity?
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
The best kind is the kind that sticks...lol sorry I had too....But I have Ammar wax I got it ten years ago and it still works.
But I find using the puddy they sell at CVS or Office store. Its usally white its used for hanging posters. You can color it into flesh color if you like.
That stuff works great too.
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
kelt76
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of kelt76
I noticed Black Box Illusions has one called Black Box levitation kit. Same deal, DVD, thread, wax. They have a deal right now, where you get an extra set of thread and wax with the $30 set.

Has anyone ever used this set of materials?
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Wax toilet bowl ring is what we used in the Scotty York Light Bulbs. Get one at a hardware store for a couple bucks and a lifetime supply. Maybe two lifetimes. Seriously.

Just make sure you use a new one!!! Smile Smile

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yigal Mesika has a tin of wax pellets that retails for about $10.00. These are perfect for ITR use.

Also, for larger chunks, candle shops sell packets of "wax buttons" that are used to keep candles upright in candle holders.

Tabby's deal is the cheapest, though.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Not that this applies to the use of wax in this discussion but another application of the wax Tabby mentions is for waxing a mustache! Getting that extra little bit of tack on your thumb before some false dealing of cards can be had with a twist or smoothing of the stache! I'm sure Bill can relate!

I've actually made my own mustache wax by melting bowl wax and paraffin together and as I recall, with a higher percentage of the paraffin I ended up with a mix that was too gummy/sticky for grooming but it may have been a good consistency for "Magician's Wax"!

Personally I use Pinaud these days but have used bowl wax many times! Smile

MMc
NexusMagicShop
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny California
434 Posts

Profile of NexusMagicShop
Nothin' Beats a can of Dapper Dan pomade!
Jason of BackroomMagic
www.BackroomMagic.com/| Mobile friendly magic forums and blogs
www.twitter.com/Nexusmagicstore
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have used nothing but Pinaud for the past 41 years. On my mustache, that is.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Ernst VCO
View Profile
New user
that has really been trying, but only has
52 Posts

Profile of Ernst VCO
I purchased a levitation kit from black box illusions. It is okay for what it is. It came with about 20 feet of good quality Wooly Nylon. The wax included was black which I felt was more noticeable than clear, or flesh colored. I have found that with with clever/better handling (just solid practice), it is never noticed (i.e. always keep the card in motion). Also, I feel with levitation kits that there is never really a good wax to thread ratio. I have always ran out of the wax first. I have since purchased a toilet ring and am now set for life. I have found that finding the materials at a craft store/hardware store to be a better bargain of quantity for your money.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
That's interesting, Ernst. I once bought a ring of toilet bowl wax and it was so soft it would not have held onto a thread. Guess there are different consistencies in toilet bowl wax.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
My Super Spinner uses silicone putty instead of wax; it doesn't "stick", but rather on suction instead. It leaves no residue and is much less messier than wax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPcIWE-xp08

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
JoeJoe, I couldn't get that silicone putty to work for me. I did get the right product, I know. Not sure why it didn't work well for me.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
It is not wax, so it doesn't "stick" to things ..... it works with suction, it is basically a flexiable suction cup. There may be a lot of things magicians do with wax that silicone putty won't work for.

Once you get used to it, it works great for thread work and it doesn't leave any residue ..... which is why I like it so much, as working in the heat melts the wax and leaves things sticky. This doesn't do that.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Ernst VCO
View Profile
New user
that has really been trying, but only has
52 Posts

Profile of Ernst VCO
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2016, Chessmann wrote:
That's interesting, Ernst. I once bought a ring of toilet bowl wax and it was so soft it would not have held onto a thread. Guess there are different consistencies in toilet bowl wax.

Yes. I am not sure of the brand. It is a softer wax, and the thread will pull out with heavier objects. I had only used it with cards, mostly. I tried checking for a new ring, and all the ones I tried were way too soft. Definitely not the same stuff. I also use Fearson's master wax I recieved with his Vectra thread, and a wax I was given to use as a lubricant for drilling into metal. If all the current toilet rings are this consistency, then I have to edit my opinion.
I have also used the silicone Joe Joe suggested, I think it does work, but dependent on the situation and weight of the object. I do prefer wax, but in warmer conditions especially daylight, the silicone is as better choice, for the melt factor as he stated.
AndreaMooreMagic
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of AndreaMooreMagic
Yigal Mesika gets my vote on this one. His little pellets are great.
ColtonRaelund
View Profile
Regular user
COLTON ZOROASTER RAELUND
116 Posts

Profile of ColtonRaelund
"Stick-Um candle adhesive" Wax for securing candles in their holders.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
That stuff really works!

I was 20 years, an altar boy, and, NEVER stole a candle!

But seriously, folks...
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
ColtonRaelund
View Profile
Regular user
COLTON ZOROASTER RAELUND
116 Posts

Profile of ColtonRaelund
Ahh... You make me laugh! Smile Smile Smile
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Fearson his some pretty good wax out
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What is the best Magicians Wax (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL