The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Disappearance by Jay Sankey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: The Disappearance by Jay Sankey
Medium: Trick, DVD instructions
Arena: Close Up
Available: Any shop, distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

I’m not a big Jay Sankey fan and I believe he is one of the more aggressive marketing guys in magic, which if fine but it also leads to mediocre magic hitting the shelves at time. I want to make my stand clear because as a product The Disappearance is extremely impressive. The routine is a packet of cards are shown and the spectator picks a card. You pull out a card size plastic sheet that shows all the cards in the packet which is put in the between the palms of the spectator. Upon completing the magic the spectator looks at the plastic sheet and their selection is no longer on it and the card has vanished from the packet, or has gone blank depending on your presentation. The DVD comes with everything you need except for the regular playing cards, you do get a couple blank faced cards should you decide to use them. You are set up to do this effect with two different cards that vanish. For one performing aspect you will need to make a very basic gaff that can be done in seconds and after letting it set for the night you are good to go. The effect itself is structured nicely by Jay and isn’t difficult to do and it is a pretty good trick.

What makes this such a good product? Jay put a huge amount of information on this DVD, well beyond what I think anyone would expect, ranging from his thoughts on performance, which I agree with completely as it pertains to confidence, to a number of sleights and handlings you can use. This information and the sleights would be of great value to someone relatively new to card magic because you’ll learn some excellent forces, false counts, palming techniques, wonderful stuff that you would have to track down in a number of places if not compiled here. Jay comments that he wanted the purchaser to feel they received value for their dollar and he achieved that and more. It makes me happy to see this because many would have put together a ten or fifteen minute DVD, plugged in a bunch of promos or another ten minutes worth of performance for misfits in a dark bar and left it at that. Jay is showing respect for his customers, a few years ago I never would have bet I’d see it happen. The quality is better than it use to be for Jay as well, he is showing that, in the last couple years, he wants to really provide the magic community with a good product and he’s done it. The camera work and sound are good, not HD quality but still very good.

If you are looking for a neat trick to perform, I wrote a routine for this that is very funny and it went from ‘for the family’ to ‘for the lounge’ because of it, or just want to learn some solid fundamentals you may want to look into The Disappearance, I think you’ll be pleased. I had this DVD sitting around for a few months and am kind of bummed I did. Well done Jay, very well done.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I'm a huge Jay Sankey fan, but I didn't get this ( I can't get everything that comes out ). Now, I'm annoyed I didn't.

MagicSanta, thanks for another detailed review! These take time and your attention to detail is appreciated in all your reviews.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Thank you but you should see my hate PM's....it is what keeps me going!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
HAHAHAHA. Comsumers love the reviews. Hate PM's ( I've gotten them ) can come from some amateur creators and their friends.

Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Is anyone using this that can discuss?
~Joe
westo
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
515 Posts

Profile of westo
FYI JB Magic are selling this for £10.00 at the moment, a big knock down price.
Creator of 'The Famous Westo Peek'..'The Westo Dump' and the 'Westolope'
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
U.S shops have to for around $24, which is about where it was when released.

westo
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
515 Posts

Profile of westo
JB magic USA is selling this for $12.00
Creator of 'The Famous Westo Peek'..'The Westo Dump' and the 'Westolope'
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Disappearance by Jay Sankey (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL