The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mindcontrol-book D.B (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

brainman
View Profile
Special user
971 Posts

Profile of brainman
On his homepage he writes:

...Derren is currently planning a book for the general public relating to his 'Mind Control' techniques. Until that is released, the only products available are in-house items designed for working magicians which relate to Derren's previous work as a conjuror. They do not deal with items from his TV specials, nor do they set out his techniques used there. Instead, he offers magicians a book on the performance and presentation of magic and a video of card routines.

These works presume a good working knowledge of magic and will make no sense to the general public. If you are interested in being kept up to date on the future book which will deal with mind-control, please email Derren's management or keep an eye on the 'News Updates' page.

These products are available ONLY from Derren - they are not in stores.

Because of the protected nature of the magical press, the following questions must be answered correctly to proceed to viewing the items.

>What is the name given to the card move where two cards are turned and displayed as one?

>What is the name of the routine where one card repeatedly jumps from the middle to the top of the deck?

What do you think?

Will he be the next one who exposes VERY fine thinking in Menatl Magic (although he has very good routines, and although he is a very good performer...)

WHY does he think about writing a book on Mindcontrol (will he REALLY explain "his" feats)...Force, Decks, Mind-Power, One-ahead, and and and...everything "forced" again to the public as a result of their nosiness concerning his specials, or does money speak?

Or will it contain just pictures and insights of his thinking, during and after the specials, or something like that?

Also the 2 questions asked on his homepage to get his released products are too easy - in comparison to the high potential material he offers in his video and his book.

Friends of good coffee:

Am I too anxious about loosing the myth of mental magic, as he did really bring it back into "warm" daylight, ...?

What do you think.

Is Derren drinking coffee with us?

Cheers,

phanthomas
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
It will likely Just be a self help book or a book about Esp. hypnosis ext.
I do not think it is going to contain any exposure as such. It's just a make some money thing. Al Koran did a non magician book "bring out the magic in your mind" (I think)
I would not worry
Phillip
Ken
View Profile
Regular user
Belfast
112 Posts

Profile of Ken
Come on Phanthomas read the text! The key phrase here is "for the general public" or maybe you think Derren is thinking about buying a mask.

Best wishes
Ken
berseus
View Profile
New user
Sweden (live in London)
49 Posts

Profile of berseus
I don't think a successful performer (especially not with a great future ahead of him like Mr Brown) would have anything to earn from exposure. I also think all sucessful performers realize this.

Those who might (might) earn from exposure are the people who can't cut it as entertainers.

/ Karl
"How often I found where I should be going only by setting out for somewhere else." - R. Buckminster Fuller
MatthewBlackwell
View Profile
Regular user
England
140 Posts

Profile of MatthewBlackwell
I strongly suspect that, if for the general public, it will be a book version of his Channel Four website: http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/M/mindcontrol/

This site gives some explanation involving psychological card forces, but also a fair bit of unworkable fluff; NLP, body language etc which most magicians/mentalists make very limited use of.

Think about it. If he hasn't told magicians how it's done - he's not going to tell the general public is he? Smile

Cheers,

Matthew Blackwell
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Nothing to worry about, people like Koran put out books on the "power" of the mind which were really no more than positive thinking books. Just a money earner, may make more than the limited magic market, but may also sink like a stone and be found in remainder stores. Worth a try, strike while the iron is hot.

If he was smart, he'd turn it into a book test too, but not let the lay people know about that lol.

Paul Hallas.
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
It won't contain any harmful exposures. Most probably, it will be a trot through some of the usual mind-training and communication techniques which are already in print, and which enjoy varying levels of credibility and respectability, lightly re-heated over a knowing flame and served up to a hungry (and trusting) public with lashings of DB relish.

Koran's book was indeed called "Bring Out The Magic In your Mind" and was basically a primer on positive thinking and positive attitudes, littered with references to Koran's mentalism effects, as if the two were connected in some way. Kreskin did something similar, and so did Fogel in his time. It's an honourable tradition. Well, it's a tradition, any way.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
saglaser
View Profile
Loyal user
Champaign, IL
248 Posts

Profile of saglaser
I could be wrong, but I remember getting the impression from somewhere, that Derren's book would deal with how techniques to influence thinking are used by advertisers, politicians, etc. and how to be aware of them as an aid to critical thinking. I have no idea where that impression came from. Did anybody else pick that idea up or did Derren just psychically beam it into my head? Smile
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
I agree with Paul and Ian. Its a way to make a buck or a pound in Brown's case. Kreskin recently put out a book which among other things, purportedly described a major prediction that had come to pass. Had a quick impact then faded; however, you have to have things to sell in the lobby. Since Derren Brown is being groomed to be the next coming of Dunninger, he will need things to sell in the lobby.
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Ray Eldard
View Profile
New user
Phoenix, AZ
90 Posts

Profile of Ray Eldard
I would be shocked if Derren exposed anything of note, and I'm sure Ian is dead on about what the content will be, but I have to add that I was very surprised to see Derren teaching the verbal card force from his book and video on the Mind Control web site.

Of course, I may be speaking less from righteous indignation and more from the fact I paid good money for both the video and the book when I could have learned the card force for free.

Still, I think both his books and the video are worth every penny.
Julien
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Julien
Well, perhaps he doesn't actually use this system, and perhaps much like he says (in his tv shows that) he uses only psychological techniques to explain his feats, he may have said in his book/video that this was the force he uses when in fact he uses other methods...

But then again, maybe he actually can control minds, and maybe this force actually works as well as he says and so on.

In the end of the day, the effect matters, right? And you should try to develop your own systems...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mindcontrol-book D.B (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL