The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » HELP!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WKM
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester Uk
138 Posts

Profile of WKM
Hi All,

As some of you know I keep several doves in an avairy. The problem that I'm having is that every year, they lay eggs, which hatch but the chicks seem to die really quick, and I can't keep them alive no matter how I try.

I have tried everything I can think of, including leaving the chicks in the avairy and letting the parents teke care of them. This was fairly successfull first time as the 2 chicks I had left the nest, and were taking care of themselves, only to find them one day on the bottom of the avairy.

Many don't make it this far. I have taken some out of the avairy but they either don't eat, or just die in the night.

I was told that the last one had selmonella?

I have bought pleanty of books, even one on hand rearing doves, but it just doesn't seem to contain the information that I need to sucessfully rear a chick.

Finally this time my girlfriend went in to feed them today only to find another poor chick dead in a nest. I didn't even know that there was an egg in it!

She seems to think that the best thing I can do is to get rid of them, but obviously I don't want to do that.

So this is my plea, can anyone give me some help, advice or even an idiots guide to ensure that I can stop this happenning?

Regards

Liam
Liam Ball MMC

www.w-k-m.co.uk

Not a belief - An Experience!
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Hi Liam - are all of your doves separated in the aviary? The reason I ask is if they aren't, and a pair lay eggs that hatch, but the other doves are free to get to the nest, its possible that another dominating male in the aviary is killing the young by pushing them out or pecking at them, especially the male hatchling it will go after. Try separating your pairs, and you'll have a higher survival rate.

-Alpha
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5005 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Liam, Alpha is correct. Also, if you do this, don't take the chicks out of the aviary. Let the the parents take care of everything. They instictively know much more that you do about rearing babies. They know how warm to keep it, when to feed it and how to live on it's own.

You said one of the chicks had selmonella. This concerns me. Was this a diagnosis by a vet or just an opinion of a friend? If the chick did have the disease, I would remove all the doves from the aviary, wash it down completely with Bleach, including the nest areas. Get rid of any seed and grit you have and buy new. Then return the doves. You need to get rid of the germ.

If you buy your seed in bulk, keep it in a cool place and sealed from the air as much as possible. Change the seed and water every day.
Where the magic begins
WKM
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester Uk
138 Posts

Profile of WKM
Hi Guys, Those are a few good ideas.

As far as seperating them, I have no idea which are the mating pairs???

But that may also be difficult as it is one large avairy. I don't think that there is a male in there that is so aggressive, like I say they just seem to be ok for a while and then they die.

I am in the process of rehousing the doves anyways, but I will do as you say dave and bleach wash the area for now.

The chick that had selmenolla was seen by a vet. It was pooing green at the time and was over a month old. I noticed it cos it semed fine one day and then was really off the next. It had already left the nest so I bought it in and kept a watch on it. It seemed to be ok for a few days and then got worse so I took a trip to the Vet. I explained the symptoms and she said that it could be either selmonella or lead poisoning. As I have no lead anywhere I ruled that out.

They do get fresh seed and water daily, but when I rehouse them I will get new everything to be sure.

The seed is kept in a "bin" in the house in a little outer room I have that keeps it cool. I feed them daily also with a specific amount. I have tried giving them apples and peanut butter, as I saw on here that some of them like that, but they all seem to leave well alone?

If there is anything that this info brings to mind please do say, otherwise are there any other precautions that I need to take to ensure that the parents don't have the desiease? and that it doesn't come back?

thanks in advance

Liam
Liam Ball MMC

www.w-k-m.co.uk

Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5005 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Liam, I think if the parents had the disease, you would know. Selmenella isn't passed from one bird to another. It has to be in something they ate. As a word of caution, I wouldn't remove a baby after just a month. They need a good 6 weeks or so of parental care to be sure they develope correctly.

If your aviary is large, then male domination shouldn't be a problem. You can tell which are the mating pair just by watching them. For a week or so prior to laying an egg, the male and female will fawn all over each other and sit on the nest getting it ready. After the egg is layed, watch the nest. The male will on the egg at night starting at 4 PM. You can set your watch by it. The female with sit on it the rest of the time. Just make note of which two are taking care of the egg.
Where the magic begins
WKM
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester Uk
138 Posts

Profile of WKM
FANTASTIC!!!

That is a relief I have to say, if the Vets had told me this I would have acted on it straight away. The avairy is quite big yes, it is a 6 foot by 4 foot shed with an external 6 foot by 4 foot cage.

The new one is going to be smaller but still fairly large and I am making the sheltered area from brick to make it more permenant.

To be honest idealy I would love the parents to raise the chicks and then for me to be able to handle them during this time and to train them once they are old enough.

Dave, Alpha, have you guys thought of writing a book for dove owners that includes things like this that you just don't find elsewhere, I would certainly buy it, this kind of information is invaluble.

Thanks again guys and I'll let you know what happens.

Regards

Liam
Liam Ball MMC

www.w-k-m.co.uk

1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Dave is the one that should write the book....a little wiser he is! *smile*
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5005 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
AW shucks guys. Actually I have been in the process of writing a book for several years. I just never seem to have enough time to get it finished.

Most of the information and help I give comes from personal experience and from what I've learned from others in the last 20 years or so. I'm really no smarter or wiser than most.
Where the magic begins
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Liam, mans best friend, for doves is the colored sharpie pens. keep your eye on the doves as they roost or nest. whenin the nest, place a sdmall dot on the back(small dot from pen tip) they switch out whiole the eggs are sat on so mark whom everis in the nest. this will get them marked for recognition. I used color markers for each nest box. Once in a whiule like Thomas says, a bully comes in and trys to call another bird to the nest. Mark those that are in the nest the longest, this should help you seperate your stock, also put in some more nest to encourage new placement.
WKM
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester Uk
138 Posts

Profile of WKM
They are all great tips. Thanks Guys.

As far as that book goes Dave hurry up and get it finished, please.

There are LOADS of books that tell you about dove magic and what to do and not to do, but nothing about rearing doved FOR magic and how to care for them, specifically and properly.

This I think would be a resource that many magicians and keepers could use daily.

thanks again

Liam
Liam Ball MMC

www.w-k-m.co.uk

Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Birds also die from parents who are inexperienced. Stress can make a parent bird stop feeding the babies. There can be many factors for losing young.

I had one pair who [I believe] had no parenting skills. This is the only explanation I could find!] These birds laid eggs, but never fed the babies. Sometimes the parents would step right on the egg as it was hatching! Finally, I removed the eggs as they were laid, because I could not stand to see the babies keep on dying.

One last thought. You might respectfully ask that your neighbors notify you before they spray their yards and homes for insects or weeds! I have lost birds to this. So nasty, those poison sprays!

Sprays are so toxic to all, but birds are more sensitive because of their breathing sacs and die quickly. [Many unlucky Humans end up with dread diseases 20 years later, but never connect it to the abundance of sprays in our environment.]
Hope this helps!
Autumn
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » HELP!!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL