The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
joanmonse
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of joanmonse
Yes!!! This IS mentalism!!

I received the CQ&AB from Sebastian Black and I just can say you that I NEED to perform ASAP with this (amazing simplicity) beauty!

I own QUESTa (Docc Hilford) and Q&A My Way (John Riggs). Both are VERY interesting ways to do the Act. Also, I've seen the Osterlind ThoughtScan and is VERY important the fact that you can perform (practically) surrounded. I don't own it but, for that reason, before buying the Sebastian board, I had my serious doubts.

Congratulations, Sebastian!!
Joan Monse
http://www.vimeo.com/4418799
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
My favorite part (and I hope you didn't lose it in the shorter version you mentioned) is the piano playing at the beginning. True, when I first saw it, I thought of it as a mood setter, but then after watching your performance, it occurred to me -- a piano player's nightmare would be to injure his hands. Whether or not you intended that connection, I don't know. In fact, since I don't speak Italian, you may have even brought this point up in your introduction of the effect, I'm not sure. But I thought it was a terrifically subtle way to increase the dramatic effect of the routine. Well done.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
What simple thing should I be doing , that I'm obviously NOT doing, to get the clip to play? Could someone pm me please? Or better still if you're in the UK gimme a call? You won't regret it. You simply WILL NOT regret it.
Ta.
Bobser
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Psychologic
View Profile
New user
London, UK
77 Posts

Profile of Psychologic
Very cool. Great mood setting. And I like how you involve the spectators in a way that raises the tension within them as well as in the audience. I imagine that this personel investment leads to them internally willing for you to get it right!

Plus, that lovely piano piece. I could listen to it over and over.

Thanks for sharing.
joanmonse
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of joanmonse
Quote:
On 2009-05-20 03:39, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
A piano player's nightmare would be to injure his hands. Whether or not you intended that connection, I don't know. In fact, since I don't speak Italian, you may have even brought this point up in your introduction of the effect, I'm not sure.

Hi Mr. Mindbender, that's the good point!! You have found it! I don't talk about it in my introduction, in spanish, because I think that is a psychological background that, may be, works better subconsciously...

Hi Bobser, sometimes in Vimeo it occurs. I don't know why but, it happens to me also. Just try it again, wait a few moments and, theoretically, it may start...

Hi Psychologic, I'm happy that you like the intro piano piece! I must admit that it's an improvisation based on a beautiful piece from the great composer/pianist Ryuichi Sakamoto.

I want to thank you so much for your interest in watching the effect and share your feelings with me. It really help me to improve the routine for future performances.

We will be in touch!
Best wishes!
Joan Monse
Cesar_Vinuesa
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Cesar_Vinuesa
Felicidades Joan, no te conocía, pero me gusta tu presentación y tu manera de ver el mentalismo.
joanmonse
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of joanmonse
Cesar, muchas gracias por tu opinión!
Nos vemos!!

Mis mejores deseos,
Joan

Cesar, thank you very much for your opinion!
We will be in touch!!

Best wishes,
Joan
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Well my Spanish isn't to the level it was a few years ago, but understanding what is being said is a big help. I have to disagree with Nimrod here. For me it wasn’t to long as long as you can hold the audience with the story etc. I felt Joan did that very well. What Nimrod is describing sounds a lot like the USA show Phenomenon. We all saw how well that went down with its 30 second effects. It went down like a lead balloon. (side note did you know a lead balloon can actually float?) That’s why the final effects on the show were not even mentalism. They were appearances of motorcycles etc. Mentalism isn’t a wham bham thank you mam kind of deal in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing Joan. I cant wait to see others it is fun to watch and listen to Mentalism in Spanish.

Nate
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Phenomenon was awefull, but they were limited to 4 minutes (sometime less), this is not the case nor my advice.
As a rule of thumb Mentalism in a studio shooting should be 2/3 - 1/2 as long as the same effect in your stage show. If it's not then you are taking your time too much. TV is an unforgiving media (much more than the cinema by the way). chichi711, if He takes his time as he does right now you and I (and other mentalists) will be the only viewers left to see the end of the effect, and it has nothing to do with his talent. He can take my advice or leave it, but I'm willing to bet my money ratings will go down during such a long effect (I learned it the hard way, a year ago I had my own studio mentalism show). And anyway I think Studio mentalism is weak, unless it's being done live. But this is a whole different debate.

Nimrod , Israel
joanmonse
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of joanmonse
Hi Chichi711,
thank you very much for your support.
I'm very happy with the results of my work but, like I said before, I think that, IMHO, this routine it's very much improved thanks to all of your opinions!

Hi Nimrod Harel,
my name is not HE. It's Joan Monse.
I want to say you, thank you very much for your opinions and for your contribution to create some debate around my video. I think you're an interesting magic consultant to hire!
Also, I bought your stuff and, seriously, I want to congratulate you.

Kindest regards!
Joan
luxor07
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of luxor07
Joan, I though you did a great job. You kept the audience intrigued throughout the entire performance. I also enjoyed the way you set the mood with your piano playing. I can't wait to see your next piece!
DN777
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of DN777
I thought it was very believable. You appeared confident but still concerned for your hand. The ambient music really augmented the presentation in my opinion. I think the audience really enjoyed it.

- Dan
Sejo
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Sejo
Nice!! muy bueno!!!

Im sending a pm
Paul Spaniels
View Profile
Loyal user
Hull, UK
249 Posts

Profile of Paul Spaniels
I can only really reiterate what's already been said but wow, Joan, that was an amazing performance, I didn't need to understand what you were saying.
I know the Scorpian but still I jumped a little every time you hit the paper lol - really excellent performance I'd love to see a whole show from you!
joanmonse
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of joanmonse
Hi, luxor07, Daniel Normandeau, Sejo and Paul Spaniels,

I'm absolutely grateful with all of you for your opinion.
Like I said before, I'm continuously trying to improve, day by day, my presentation and techniques.

Please, let me know your thoughts about mentalism, your performance styles...

We will be in touch!
Kindest regards,
Joan

http://www.joanmonse.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Video (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL