The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » The New polish Magic Opener (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
chefmagic
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of chefmagic
Mike

Magic Legacy - Low prices on great magic!
www.magiclegacy.net
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Should include props to Art Metrano.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Heh, yeah, lots of old gags in there but...

Made me chuckle. Not many could pull this off with such affability and aplomb.
Watson
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
68 Posts

Profile of Watson
Got to admire the guy.

Shows what attitude can accomplish. Had a real routine there, liked the appearance of his finger at the end which tied it all together.

Thanks for pointing out this clip.

Matt H.
The Celtic Conjurer - Insperata Floruit!
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I thought it was boring. I have seen that hundreds of times before. Nothing special and that much of it was unnecessary.
-Matt
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I thought it was juvenile and boring.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
chefmagic
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of chefmagic
I showed it to a lot of people that are not magicians and they all had a good laugh.
Maybe your humor is very dry. I thought it was funny.
Mike

www.magiclegacy.net
thorsten dankworth
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of thorsten dankworth
This act makes me smile, but not more.
For kids - I could imagine that they don´t understand that kind of humor.
For teens - why not.
For adults -....may be a short version if you want to play the "silly dog".
For magicians - I wouldn´t recommend it, because there are too many old gags and no magic.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
It is also another way to make magicians look bad (as if we don't do that already).
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Gosh, I'd have to disagree with Bill, there. I think magicians tend to make themselves look bad when they take themselves far too seriously (unless they are absolutely superb).
Did you hear the crowd? They were entertained.
chefmagic
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of chefmagic
I agree with magicgeorge. Stop being so serious. One could also look @ the cover of your book and call it vulgar with the naked women. I am not saying it is but to each his own. I put it up for a laugh or chuckle not to be serious. I still think that would be a great opener for an mc.
Mike

www.magiclegacy.net
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Quote:
On 2009-05-04 16:45, chefmagic wrote:
I agree with magicgeorge. Stop being so serious. One could also look @ the cover of your book and call it vulgar with the naked women. I am not saying it is but to each his own. I put it up for a laugh or chuckle not to be serious. I still think that would be a great opener for an mc.

Cheese and crackers got all muddy! Sorry! I didn't find it funny.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Quote:
On 2009-05-04 16:45, chefmagic wrote:
One could also look @ the cover of your book and call it vulgar with the naked women. I am not saying it is but to each his own.

Oh, yeah, she's a real looker, isn't she? A beauty, indeed! Do you find the cover erotic? It wasn't intended that way, I can assure you. If you find it offensive, don't look at it!
chefmagic
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of chefmagic
One could also look @ the cover of your book and call it vulgar with the naked women. I AM NOT SAYING IT IS, but to each his own. NEXT TIME READ WHAT I SAID BEFORE GETTING ALL DEFENSIVE!!!!
Mike

www.magiclegacy.net
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I did read it Chefmagic. I read quite well, actually. Nor am I defensive; nor do I shout to make a point. One could also look at your response to me and call it both vulgar and defensive.

I'm sorry, but I merely expressed an opinion, which certainly is my right. You then implied that my book's cover was vulgar, and I responded to that. Vulgarity, particularly in this case, lies in the eye of the beholder.

For the record, I stated two opinions that you can accept or disregard according to your own feelings: (a) I did not like the act or the video which I thought was juvenile and unfunny, and (b) the act is one more thing to contribute to the low opinion many have for magic. I fail to see how the expression of either opinion is cause to attack me or the cover of my book. I did not force either of these opinions on you or anyone else; I merely stated them.

I apologize to all. This has nothing to do with humor.
TCsteinberg
View Profile
New user
NewYawk
52 Posts

Profile of TCsteinberg
As I already pointed out elsewhere on this website, this guy is merely doing Art Metrano's routine (one of his many), complete with humming the same tune "Fine & Dandy". I performed this as a kid myself, and KILLED with it, eventually growing up and learning how to write my own original material. But watching this young man do this, sure it's fun, energetic, and entertaining, but it's equivalent to somebody doing Steve Martin's "Flydini" routine. Somebody else already did the hard work of writing the material and polishing it after years of performance in front of audiences. Anybody can mimic the final product. Also, I don't like the "Polish" reference, and if you know the history you'd agree.
Over the years Metrano kept adding more and more bits to the basic idea of the routine, everything that kid did Metrano did 35 years ago, plus more. here's one clip, enjoy;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-SNrvHdZJE
~ tc ::--.---( )
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
That was better, anyway.
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
From the Ed Sullivan Show collection.

Da da da....da da da.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I'm a lot less impressed (with the original clip) now I've seen the Metrano routine. I agree with TCsteinberg's comments.
TCsteinberg
View Profile
New user
NewYawk
52 Posts

Profile of TCsteinberg
When I was a kid, I became "known" at my summer camp for doing this in the talent show. But the year I had a magic act of my "own", I planned my own "full show' for the camp (as opposed to being in the "Talent Show").
I set up the stage with my new magic table, all the props, and crepe paper decorations. The show opened with the curtains closed, I was introduced and came out with a trenchcoat on and proceeded to do my Art Metrano thing that everybody knew, and after a couple of minutes in, I stopped and said, "ok, enough with this..." and whipped off the trenchcoat showing my "magician" wardrobe, pre-recorded music came on, the curtains opened, and boom, into my BIG magic show. It was awesome! Or at least, it's an awesome memory! Smile)
~ tc ::--.---( )
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » The New polish Magic Opener (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL